My Doonz tire reviews - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My Doonz tire reviews

I put the Doonz paddles on my completely stock drive train 09 rex. I drove around the entire weekend with out putting it in 4wd while on rides. I did put it in 4wd doing some tests to see the difference. I started at 8 psi and was disappointed with there performance. I kept testing and I got down to 5 psi and was happy with the results. I found it didn't matter 2wd or 4wd I would get stuck at the same spot on the hill. Where 4wd did help was turning. I have stock fronts and Doonz 25.5 paddles on steel rims and I had a blast in 2wd where ever I went. I can't say they are any better or worse than any other tire out there but I can say coming from 14yrs of dune experience I was completely satisfied with these tires.

The stock tires work well in 4wd. The thing with stock tire is that the rear end doesn't hold well when on the side of a dune, it seems to get really loose. In 2wd with stock tire I could go just about everywhere put I had to pick my lines more careful to keep up momentum. With stock tires it was really fun riding around trying to stay up on a ridge. With the Doonz tires I spent 99% of the time in 2wd while out riding. The tires held the ass end up on most of the ridges with the exception of the slip face side of the dunes. While in 4wd the rex seemed to labor the engine a little more. The Doonz where also a ton of fun that gave u a little bit of insurance about picking and holding a line. That comes with a price though they will dig in real quick and and you will have to back up and try again. Both sets are fun to drive you don't have to buy paddles to have a great time out there but I am happy with Doonz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 AM

good review that will be my next purchase!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat83 View Post
I have stock fronts and Doonz 25.5 paddles on steel rims and I had a blast in 2wd where ever I went.
Great Review ..... quick question ..... what size rims were the doonz tires mounted on? The wider the rim you put them on the more floatation you will get ..... LESS DIGGING IN.

http://WWW.DASARACING.COM

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 12:21 PM

I'm just getting ready to buy paddles. I've posted a couple of times and still not really got an answer. Doonz or skat traks? I'm running the 840.
My biggest question is.......Do I need red labels? I know utv crap offers good deals on the doonz on cast wheels but is this a mistake since they are a little more narrow? How much weight difference is actually an issue? Dasa give me your honest opinion.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASARACING View Post
Great Review ..... quick question ..... what size rims were the doonz tires mounted on? The wider the rim you put them on the more floatation you will get ..... LESS DIGGING IN.

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE
My Doonz are mounted on stock steel rims.

Jake as for rim choice. I would use some kind of bead lock for sand that way you can use low air pressure without worry of blowing a bead. Bead locks will be my choice when its time to upgrade. I have had great experience with bead locks on my quad but have zero with the rex. What I do know is when your out there in the dunes and have no carb cleaner or some other areosol can you can use to reseat a bead. Then you have to pay $30+ bucks to some vendor when you know it only takes 2 min to do yourself than your bead locks will have saved you all that hassle. This is just my opinion and not meant to say non bead locks are bad just what I will be doing when the time comes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat83 View Post
My Doonz are mounted on stock steel rims.

Jake as for rim choice. I would use some kind of bead lock for sand that way you can use low air pressure without worry of blowing a bead. Bead locks will be my choice when its time to upgrade. I have had great experience with bead locks on my quad but have zero with the rex. What I do know is when your out there in the dunes and have no carb cleaner or some other areosol can you can use to reseat a bead. Then you have to pay $30+ bucks to some vendor when you know it only takes 2 min to do yourself than your bead locks will have saved you all that hassle. This is just my opinion and not meant to say non bead locks are bad just what I will be doing when the time comes.
my first trip on the doons tires, i sliced the right rear on a hidden rock. second trip out, i landed hard off a jump and blew a bead on left rear. i am running on the dwt diablos. i would be careful of the offset of the wheels you use. the dwt diablos that came with the set are the wrong offset for the front. the tires rub on the ball joints. A spacer is gonna be required up front with these wheels. other than that, tires are great! there isnt a hill that i cant make up at dumont...

08 LE, DASA 840, Muzzys, CDI, Open Filter Carb setup, VFJ Stage 3, XMF LT w / WER shocks, XMF 2 seat radius cage, XMF bed delete kit and bumpers, Lowrance Baja 540c GPS, HID's, 14" MSA MCX tires on black MSA Diesels, Twisted Stitch Agressors w / XMF seat bases, and a whole bunch of other shit!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM

mine rub up front too, but just barely! not bad enought to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement