Recommended Wheel Offset - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Recommended Wheel Offset

I am looking to get some new rims and tires for the dunes.

What offset does everyone recommend?
I can get 3-4, 2-5, or 5-2.
I want it to be wider than stock, but not damage front end parts.

What is the stock offset?

Thanks,

PowerTrip
Utah

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Faster and faster till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death !

2008 TERYX
FST Standard Bore kit w/ Stage III cams
Vent Racing Clutch kit w/ Billet Hat
Hunterworks Carb kit
DWT Doonz Paddles on Quatro's
Element Cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 AM
CommanderTalk.com

While I am not an expert, I believe the 5-2 is pretty much the stock offset, so you could do a 4-3 to gain an inch on either side. I suppose it is really a matter of just how wide you want to go. In my case I am doing a 5-2 because I am going to with a long travel kit. Lets see what some of the other owners are running.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:16 PM

If you plan on a long travler kit then do 5-2 all the way around. If no plans for a long travel then either do 5-2 front and 2-5 rear or 4-3 all around. I did 5-2 front and 2-5 rear and then added 1.5" spacers to the front. Some people have compained about difficulty steering with the spacers but I have no issues. 1.5" spacers in the front is as big as I would go though.

Of course if you plan on long travel, do 5-2 all the way around and then add wheel spacers to all 4 and sell the spacers when you do the long travel. Most Rhino guys that do not do long travel do 5-2 front and 2-5 rear.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to mouser58
I thinbk Todd did the 2-5 on his race rhino and toasted all the ball joints. too much pressure and screws up the front geometry.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:13 PM

I would stay as close to stock as possible. If the offset in increased, especially in the front it will have a negative effect on steering and control. The more outward offset the more the whole tire will have to arc and scrub to make a turn. To keep geometry at its best draw an imaginary line directly through the upper and lower ball joint and the centerline of the tire should be pretty darn close to that. It does not make that big a deal on non steering tire and wheels (rears) but it does increase the load by changing the leverage point also.

Offdsets and wheel spacers are cheaper then new suspension arms but not the best option in my opnion.

Amateurs practice to do it right, Professionals practice until its Perfect!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I think I am going to go with 4-3 all the way around. I am not going to go longtravel, and will only use these in the sand, as I will be putting paddles in the back, and AMS Diamond tracks on the front.

I will let everyone know how they look, and perform in a couple weeks.

PowerTrip
Utah

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

2008 TERYX
Hunterworks Carb kit
Element Cage
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Ok, so i bought some ITP SS wheels. 12 x 7 with a 4-3 offset. (thinking they would be a little wider and work great for the Dunes....................

Nope, they are EXACTLY the same width as stock in the front. I just don't get it. A 5-2 offset that some places sell look they would hit the ball joints on the steering.

Now i need to think about spacers, or see if i can send these back.

Any ideas, or other experience?

PowerTrip
Utah

2008 TERYX
Hunterworks Carb kit
Element Cage
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:13 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Well I hope the 5-2 do not hit the ball joints cause that is what is on the way to me.

I am under the impression that the 5-2 is the stock offset and that 4-3 would have given you an additional 1" on either side...but you say that is not the case. Hmmm, now I am a tad concerned.

You can do spacers, a lot of people do.

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:53 PM

what happened with the 5+2 offset?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 PM
CommanderTalk.com

The 5+2 are working fine over here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement