Age, Gender & ATV-UTV Experience - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Age, Gender & ATV-UTV Experience

I've been a member about a month & my observations are: Almost everyone-if not everyone who posts on this site- are Guys. Most of the women may participate in riding or driving, but they are silent on this forum. It seems that the vast majority are in there 30's or 40's, with a few under 30 or over 50. And, finally, almost everyone here has had or presently owns several ATV-UTVs. I'm thinking I'm really the oddball- I'm pushing 70, my wife has never ridden in my Teryx, but I think she will one of these days. My only other machine is an old Yamaha 250 2WD with High/ Low range & manual shift which she never has nor ever will ride on. Are my observations pretty close to reality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Well lets see, I am 33, my wife does ride in the Teryx, however, she would never drive on the trails. This is my first side x side, however, not my first off road vehicle. I cannot speak for everyone, however, when it comes to age, that has nothing to do with it...if you enjoy riding and getting out there and meeting new people...then quite frankly, 20 or 70 is all the same!

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:53 PM

I think that is a fair observation. This is my first UTV. My wife loves to ride and drive both it and quads on the trails and dunes. I have been riding dirt bikes and quads since I was 5. Been going to the dunes since 1985. I am 34.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 PM

How old?

I'm 43. The nice thing about offroading in general is you can get 20 or 30 people together that normally would never hang out together because of age, background or whatever. You can go camping in the desert or to a race and no matter what age, 5 years old or 70 years old, everyone usually gets along and has a great time because of the common interest in offroading or camping. When I go camping, we usually end up with a big group, I hang out with the young 20 year olds who usually make me drink way too much, people my age and people older than me. Rich, poor, young, old. As long as I'm in the desert I'm having a great time. Offroading seems to draw people together. It really break downs the normal barriers.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 07:44 AM

65 years old, and retired from a desk job, to some real ranch work.
Had several street motorcycles, in younger years, but didnít do much dirt riding, from 350 Ė 1000cc.
Had atv for hunting, primary bow, for many years.
Teryx first utv, although had use of Rhino quite a bit before buying.
My wife rides and drives both atv and utv.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:31 AM

I am 54 and went back to the Oregon Dunes on Memorial Day weekend after not being there since the 80's when I had a VW rail for a couple of years. I got hooked, bought a Teryx at the coast and had a buddy haul it back to Portland. Now 3 weeks later after getting hooked on this forum and the teryx, it has wheels, tires, muzzys, jets, dynotek, HID,s, Vapor dash, and the lighted license plate frame on the back (way cool) and a new name, the "MAD KAW". I am always attracted to a younger crowd cause I still like to party, and have a great time at whatever I am doing. My wife loves it also, and drives it. She is 57 going on 35 and makes me the luckiest guy in the world cause I convinced her that all of the above was her birthday present that we could share! I am now having a custom windshield built, building front and rear bumpers from stainless pipe, and contemplating building a wood bed to give it the "woody look" so it's one of a kind. I am having a blast at this refound hobby! Thanks to Diesel and all the guys on this forum for the great ideas and resources.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:41 PM

Well here is my profile:

Married w/ 1 child:
--Wife:31
--Daughter:8 months old

Job:
--Machinist

Hobbies:
--Hunting
--Shooting
--Riding
--Sports(use to coach football)
--Motorsports

This is my first UTV and I am REALLY glad I bought my Teryx after trying o decide what I wanted. I grew up around motorsports and was very fortunate growing up and getting to go to motorsporting events. I have been going to tractor pulls and monster truck events since I was 3 months old. Both of our families are into motorsports in some way whether it be sprint cars, tractor pulls or drag racing so this Teryx has been really fun to play with and I am sure is only going to get BETTER!!!! I have had ATV's and ATC's(wish I still had these) along with a motorcycle. I and as you would have figured out I have always had a 4 wheel drive truck.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

35 and this is my first UTV. My wife loves it we both ride quads on the trails and dunes. I have been riding dirt bikes and three wheelers since I was just a little tike!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Build Sponsor

The demographic for sales of utv's is 35-45 year old male for the biggest part. Of course you hit it right on the head with the fact that it varies on both sides. There are many reasons for this demographic group.
1) the age of average working man becomes more successful and his home equity is up there now,his job is better,and more settled....time for a toy.
2) he rode on motorcycles/ in early life but have to still be at work in the morning nowadays...and this seems more relaxing.
3) ..this is a big one... 90 % of middle aged males are EXCLUSIVELY henpecked and thier money is at least partly controlled by their wife. THis Side by side style vehicle is by far the EASIEST toy for a man to sell his wife on.
" look honey,I dont really want to take off biking anymore...I would like to try something like this and have you come along"...they know very well she will not come for long,..but it gets it done.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:57 AM

Married, No Children
--Wife:28

Job:
--American Welding Society Certified Welding Inspector and NDT Level II in Ultrasonic, Radiographic, Magnetic Particle, and Dye Penetrant Testing.

Hobbies:
--Hunting , Fishing
--Shooting
--Sports

This is my first UTV, I have been looking at the Rhinos since they came out. I never could see spending that kind of money on something like that. But when the Teryx came out, I had to pull the trigger. I have owned ATV's since I was 18 (Old enough to buy one myself). My parents were not the outdoors type, and I was not introduced to the outdoors until I met my wife in highschool and got to know her father. I like the side x side because my wife never would get on the back of an ATV. She loves the Teryx (riding and driving) and it gives me a chance to include her in what I love to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement