Pitbull Tires - any thoughts??? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pitbull Tires - any thoughts???

Still on the fence about getting some Pitbull tires. Want to run 27.5 on 14's but want to know what you guys out there with them think of them. I am liking both the Growler and the Rocker, mostly trail ride but like hill climbs and we get lots of sticky mud and muskeg around here. Any thoughts between the 2 different treads? Was told the Growler is their mud / snow tire and the Rocker is the rock climbing / hill climbing type of tire. The Rocker looks more aggressive, want to know what you guys who have them or seen them or have buddy's who run them. Want to order some up pretty soon so any help or thoughts on helping the decision process will help me out, just can't decide what to pick. Thanks!

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:27 AM

I haven't ridden the growler or rocker in the mud yet, but PitBull donated tires to every one of my trail guides for the UTV Rally, and the resounding impression was that they were much more grippy than the the bighorns and bajacrosses most folks had on their machines to begin with. They also said they rode great on the road...very smooth surprisingly. Jim from UV Country said he couldn't barely get them to break loose on his modded Teryx when compared to his Bajacrosses. Bob, even though this isn't necessarily great, was flying through Fins N things on the sand, and because they didn't break loose he ended up high siding his Prowler and laying it on the side. But, he didn't complain...he just said they grip tons more than his original tires. On the rocks, they work simply amazing, both when dry and wet. We got some rain during the event this year, and although Moab rock is very sticky to begin with all the guides said they noticed a drastic increase in tire grip. Hope that helps...we'll be testing them in the mud later this month.

Chris

UTV Marketplace - www.utvmarketplace.com
UTV Rally - www.utvrally.com
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:54 AM

Just realize they are just heavy!!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I realize they are heavy and have been told that a few times now but need a good tire that will hold up! I have been running the XTR's and traction is good but I don't think they are heavy enough to handle the weight of a side by side. I find that the sidewalls are not strong enough and keep getting pinhole leaks in the front tires sidewalls, figure it is from cornering and they are maybe rolling over onto the sidewall. Also I have to keep them up above 10 psi otherwise I tend to pop them off the bead, I know that the 14" rim is not helping them stay on the bead but you would think that they should handle it.
If any one out there has any other tire recommendations that have worked out good for you let me know, want at least a 27" tire to go back on, maybe going to go back to the factory steel wheels with big mud tires? Don't know which way to go yet. Need a good traction tire, this I do know!!!

Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Ive tried both the growlers and rockers. I liked the traction a little better with the growlers in light snow, slick trails. In deep snow they both worked great, by far the best snow tires ive ever tested. The growlers I had were 6 ply and the rockers were 8 ply. I gave the growlers to a buddy of mine with a rzr and he loved them with no issues. Ive had no flats with the rockers, both ride excellent. Considering the wieght of the teryx, I would go with the 8 ply rockers with a wide rim guard. I beleive they were going to start producing the growlers in 8 ply with the rim guard also, but not sure on that. Never ran in much mud but as well as they did in deep snow I would think they would be great in the mud also.

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks XCHAMP,
I am thinking about the Rockers, probably going that way but waiting it out this week to see what I convince myself of. I thought they were all 8-plys but will have to re-check. Thanks again!

Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
eez

My buddy has 26.5 rockers on his rhino and they actually measure over 27, I have mud lites and he goes thru stuff in 2wd that I have hard time in 4, I will own a set of rockers as they are by far the best all around tire I have ever seen, plus they look bad ass
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Hey Junior, let me know which pitbulls you go with (you know you waaaaant it) and how they work for you. I just bought some 28" zillas and T-7 beadlocks, but the tires may find themselves on my other rex eventually.

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Jeremy, where'd ya pick up the T7's?? Did you get a decent deal on them? I am looking at a set of these and likely the Pitbull's

Junior!! Where are you looking at picking the Pitbulls up if you go that way? Might get a better deal if we are buying a couple sets. I may also buy a spare front and rear too.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I can get through a few different suppliers, just not sure what size I want and which ones yet, if I go for the 27.5 on 14's they should be out now. Need to get some tires ordered up next week because got da itch now!!! Let me know if you want and I will order some for you, probably going to order a few extra sets in to sell at the tire shop just for fun!

Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement