Mountain jetting - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mountain jetting

Anyone had there Teryx above 8000- 10000 ft with stock sea level jetting???
Am planning a trip to Colorado and hopeing to NOT have to rejet
the RHINO 450 did alright but was way down on power.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Had mine at around 6000 and it ran, just down on power. Now granted, I could have been a tad rich before going up into that altitude

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Here is a cheap and easy idea that you may or may not need.

Install a TPI valve in the airbox lid and leave it closed until you feel you need leaner jets and then simply open the TPI valve up some to "air jet" it instead of doing it with hard to install main jets that you will have to change again when you come back down. The additional air coming in the air box will lean it up same as going to smaller jets would.

If you don't know what a TPI valve is or how to install it then you can watch our video of our carb kit which also shows you the TPI valve install.

Click the link below

TPI video

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:38 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Todd...are you suggesting that he rejet with the TPI closed at sea level first and then when needed he open it for the higher altitudes?

If he installs the TPI without jetting now as he is not at sea level and then opens it at the higher elevation he really does not accomplish anything...right?

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:05 AM

He said he was planning a trip to Colorado so I assume he is in a lower elevation. I'm suggesting he add the TPI valve with no jetting now and open it as he needs it going up which will let more air in and lean it up for him without having to put smaller main jets in there. It also would be a good idea to go with weaker diaphragm springs so his slides operate correctly with the additional air plus they might help back on normal ground too with a quicker opening slide which adds to performance.

Once he returns he can close the valve and be right back at normal.

Theoretically a guy who changes his riding elevation and has our kit really needs a third valve to be able to do this.

It is called air jetting.

Trust me it works.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 08:25 AM

Todd, I think I understand what you're saying here, but just to make sure: When I order the programmable CDI, I'll have the dealer put in jets from your kit for optimum performance for riding in Northern Wi (1600 ft). When I go to my cabin in West Central Wi (closer to the Mississippi & only 900 ft) nothing need be changed. In October when I'm hunting in Montana (3500 ft) I may consider, but not necessarily want to rejet to compensate for the thinner air. But, with the TPI, I would need only open it slightly to bring in more air. When back in Wi, I'd close it back up & presto, I'm back where I was (literally & performance wise). Hence-air jetting instead of the nuisance of rejetting. Is the TPI included in your carb kit or is it a separate item you sell?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help I am at 500ft here in Chicago and make annual trips out west. Like I said the Rino 450 did alright but ran like a 250 above 8000 ft. I assume the Teryx is lean jetted from factory. so it should be ok I will look into the air jetting thanks.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:32 AM

Dokkema....I didn't mean to jump in over you in asking Todd about my situation, but I think you & I have a similar situation, but yours is greater (500ft to 8000+ vs 1600 to 3500+). After watching Todd's carb kit install video, it looks like "air jetting" really makes sense. I would probably open the TPI slightly, if at all, in Montana, but you would definitely open yours much more in Colorado. Sure beats messing with jets (which I wouldn't trust myself doing). I imagine you are appreciating that "World Book" of info as much as I.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Todd, duh, I completely did not take into account that currently he has a stock airbox...Must of been drinking or something, lol.

So yes, I do what you are talking about

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 PM

I can say it Does tend to miss a bit at 8000 feet but Ran decent

livewire whips
factory utv
durkee-racing
toyhauler magazine
BK Fabworks
Fabtech motorsports
Sponsored Links