Big Horn 2.0 junk! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Big Horn 2.0 junk!

Well I have to give my opinion on my bighorn 2.0 in 26x14 size. I have given these more than a fair chance but they keep letting me down.

Total of 9 flat tires in a little over a year (600 miles). 2 broked rims to boot with that because they blew. This past weekend I had 5 in 2 days. All puncture wounds. I have been riding my whole life and up till these tires only had 3 flats total all on stockers on various machines...

I realize flats are going to happen but come on... and this is mostly dirt road riding! Anybody else have this issue? I have 0 confidence in long trips... The ITP ss312 have failed on 2 occasions as well, i guess I do miss steel wheels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM

you re rough on tires and wheels aint you?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM

I feel your pain. I will never buy a cast aluminum rim ever. A steel rim or a spun aluminum rim will bend but not brake. I have seen a few broke cast rims from hitting something & even more from rocks getting inside by the rotor then when it come around to caliper the rim fails from the inside out,not pretty. With my stock rims, I recently smacked a rock at about 30,bent the rim,deflated tire. Drove home about 1/4 mile, beat it with a hammer, inflated tire and continued on my way.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 PM

I have SS108 with Terracross tires.. I have at least 100 holes in my tires and they are still going. Of course with green slime and one tube and multiple plugs Point being I am sooo rough on my tires. Usually at the end of a long ride with a few adult beverages being the reason. I guess what I am getting at is slime works and plugs work well too.. But if you really destroy a tire a tube will work for that. I like how my tires perform in most conditions and I am wondering when I finally break down to replace them what tire I will replace them with... Big Daddy could probably chime in on this since he runs a tire shop..

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 PM

I was on my second ride on my new tires. We rode all day at Brimstone with no issues. Later that night, we went on a night ride. I hit a small rock ledge at about 4 mph and blew a side wall. I was hitting stuff much harder through the day, and this little ledge did me in. I was looking at the 2.0's, but a buddy of mine heard the same issues you are having with the strength of the tire. I am now looking at the old big horns.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 PM

I hate to say anything because everybodys riding conditions vary so much and there is a new tire on the market everyday, I have not run any myself but a tire that I like the looks of is the Baja Cross if your not concerned with wieght.

Big Daddy
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 PM

I have used a set of Bighorn 2.0's for a year and a half cross country racing and have had zero flats.

Your probably gonna have some kind of issues no matter what tire, but the 2.0 is a light tire and it is light for a reason, performance. If you ride in extreme conditions your gonna have to give up performance and go with something heavy.

I am not a ITP tire fan though even though we sell a good many of them.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 AM

All of us have different riding conditions. I have a set of terra cross on my teryx with the Berrryman brand of tire sealant that tractor supply and napa sells. I also have a 02 honda 450 foreman with the same sealant as well. I ride threw pastures that have cactus bushes,cedar tree bushes and muskeet bushes (hope i spelled muskeet right???) All of these have thorns or sharp items on them. I have not ever had 1 flat in my life since 02 on the honda or 09 on the teryx but i have noticed that when these machines sit in the garage for some time you can see on the tire where it appears that a fly spit on the tire in various places. That is where a thorn has poked threw the tire and the sealant is doing its job. Some say the sealant make the tire wobble but i have never experienced that problem. I also ride in rocky and mud conditions. Therefore i am a strong believer in the berryman product.

09 teryx- msd ignition - water impellar - half windsheild - uni filter - standard muzzy - sdr rear bumper - hid lights - dalton clutch- water temp guage - ss108 14 inch with terra cross - dasa kebc block off plate - brake alarm buzzer - over drive plate -ssv works sound system -removable canvas top-odyssey battery- rock sliders
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

I can say for my situation its deffinately the tires. We had 6 side by sides, 4 teryx, 1 rzr 1 ranger We all ride the same. This was the same terrain.

Tires in group. Bighorn 2.0, Bighorn, Stock tires, itp mudlites, Polaris atc radials, GBC dirt Devils.

Only the 2.0 and stockers failed.. and failed multiple times.

Plus this is the second trip where the 2.0 didnt resist punctures..
Very small holes as well, no sidewall gashes.

Just an fyi, I can say I wouldnt buy again. Almost wondering about selling and geting some of those new 8 ply duracross tires. Anyone have any thoughts on those?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM

not so fast,if you do a little reasearch youll find out that the bighorn 2.0 is a lightweihgt racing tire. if tou want tough get terra cross, if you want fast get a light tire and wheel combo,cheapest fast youll ever get.

MERLIN MOTORSPORTS GROUP TERYX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement