Teryx sank, kinda. - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Teryx sank, kinda.

Ok, so here is the deal, just got a call from dad, him and my bro sank the 2010 Teryx and it cut off. Said it was in a rut that they didn't think was so deep (obviously), said it was running then just puttered off. They winched it out, said it wouldn't try and start when turning the key, said now it will make a humming sound but still wont turn over. They are still waiting to get pulled out of the off road park, and get home to check it out. Dad said that they checked the air box and it was clean and dry inside, no signs of water. What should they look at? They were out there to test the winch, and I guess it got a thumbs up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 08:35 PM
eez

Maybe the shift linkage got tweaked a lil on the rut and they think it's in neutral when actually its not, tell them push brake pedal while trying to start
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eez View Post
tell them push brake pedal while trying to start
I did that while stuck vertical on the tail gate when I first got mine. Seen it happen to quite a few people when its left in gear.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 PM

I am assuming this got stuck in water, right? I sank the back end of my teryx trying to get out of a creek. The water got into the back cylinder through the exhaust and would not allow the engine to crank, hydraulic lock. I had to pull the spark plug and crank the engine, lots of water came out. I ran my Teryx for another 1 1/2 hours and kept the engine temps up, changed the oil when I got home and have never had any problems.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Wrecks View Post

I did that while stuck vertical on the tail gate when I first got mine. Seen it happen to quite a few people when its left in gear.
This sucks! Went boating yesterday in a 4x4. only 4 hours on it may be F'ed. My Son walked halfway across and was only knee deep but then chest deep right past that but didn't find out till to late. Sorry no pics sunk wasn't thinking about that then. But snapped a few while waiting for the 4x4 tractor for my tow out. Well found out not enough post for pics.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Check the gas tank, You can get water in through the vent line or a loose cap. Muddy water will lock up a fuel pump.

Harry
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
Check the gas tank, You can get water in through the vent line or a loose cap. Muddy water will lock up a fuel pump.

Harry
Thanks. I'll check that also. CVT case full to the top. Drained! Water in back cyl but front was dry. when i try to turn it over the starter solenoid (I think) just clicks but with every click it will turn just a bit but not over a full turn. any ideas on that? Checked site cups on intake and no water in those. Thats good right? Filter is dry. Was water in the oil so drained and changed with filter. Thanks for any help.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 02:21 PM
eez

Try pulling spark plugs then turn it over, this will let any water in cylinders be forced out, also if you can stand it up to let water drain from exhaust, if you get it running make sure you flush oil til all water is out, 1 oil change prolly wont do it. U should be able to get it going, I've submarines a few quads in my day and always got them going again, just have to get all the water out, BTW, maybe use the winch to stand it upright. Good luck and keep us informed
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 PM

ok here's where i stand. all water is out. still won't turn over something just clicks and starter doesn't crank over. electronics just wet? click is coming from solenoid.thanks
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
eez

Try jumping across solenoid, maybe its bad, short a screwdriver across the posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement