Tire questions... - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tire questions...

Well after another flat on the teryx, im trying to explore options with flat prevention or some sort of solution other than parking the thing or solid tires...

I've heard of the 'tireballs' and the foam insert called a 'Tire johnny' or whatever..but i've no clue on how they're priced. I dont think the tire balls people make a size for a 26" tire. The foam insert sounds great, but for $600 or so I'm not sure how much many wheels you can fill. I know these are probably out of my price range and for more serious racers, with I myself just being a casual rider, perhaps sticking to something like the Slime stuff sold at the parts store would work best. I'm just curious how that stuff does on high speed riding. It seems like quite a bit has to be put in there if you follow the directions. The quantity thats recommended seems like it'll really throw a tire off balance...even for medium to slow speed ridin, but I could be wrong.

I guess the inner-tube route might be the cheapest, but somehow i've managed to cut one of those while riding...no clue how, didnt put a hole thru the tire, might've just got pinched in there. Im just not a fan of having to break down those damned beadlocks when I get a flat. I'd rather have some sort of solution out there that would let me avoid having to take the wheels apart unless a tire is severly damaged. Perhaps I just expected more out of an 8 ply tire.

Just curious what everyone else is doing for their tires.

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:30 PM
eez

If your having alot of flats with 8ply tires o dunno what to tell ya, I swear by slime and have used it for years, it works for all but the worst punctures, if u run to low of tire pressure that could give u trouble
BTW, what tires u run?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Running baja crosses...have really had anything day ending yet...just slow leaks...I run 20 psi or so in them, 14" itp beadlocks...I might give the slime a go...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM

Good God, 20 psi. I bet you will have all kinds of problems with them in the near future if you continue running that high pressure.

2009 Teryx LE FI
REAL OFF ROAD RIDERS DON'T RIDE WITH FLEAS
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
eez

I'm thinkning 20psi is way high, what does manufacturer reccomend, and don't be confused by the Max rating labeled on the tire.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 PM

ITP is changing the psi info on their tires. they now recommend 18psi for our heavy utv's. i heard they reconfigured their mold to show 18psi on the newest batch of tires.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I've heard 15 to 20 psi...thats what I was told when I got the tires, because a friend got a similar set and was running them at 10 to 12 and cutting tires right and left and knocking them off the rim...thats what the sidewall recommended...I've not had any major problems with the tires, they grip very well and my stepdad has a set on his teryx...he's cut a few of his, but I'm not really sure how we're managing that, none of his are going flat, just missing chunks and cuts in the rubber, mine, on the other hand, have no cuts or anything, somehow im just getting some random tiny hole in a tire thats causing the slow leaks. Max rating on the side wall only speaks of the 35psi bead seating pressure, if i remember correctly. We mostly ride trails and some creek rides, i assume most of the cuts are coming from rocks in the creeks and things like that...but the trails are normally open...we just ride them a high rate of speed sometimes...Maybe the slime stuff will fix it and keep me from having to break down those wheels and throw tubes in them.

I've been more cautious on the tires and wheels since I busted that rear wheel...luckily it got under the radar and ITP replaced it...they've since revoked the warranty on the beadlocks so if i bust another I'm boned and I've gotta buy another wheel...

thanks again for the input guys...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
eez

Understand there is a whole lot of difference between 15 @ 20psi, and isn't one point of running beadlocks is the ability to run lower tire pressure, don't know much about them but hopefully someone will chime in. I need new tires and was thinking about Baja cross but now I'm not sure, thought an 8ply tire would be nearly indestructible in normal riding conditions, doesn't seem like your riding in really rough conditions like rock crawling or anything, how old are the tires?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

The creek riding we do is pretty rocky when you get near the end of the area we can ride...but its only rocky for about 7 miles or so...it just get progressively rougher...the trails aren't that rough either...the other guys we ride with run anything from bighorns to reptiles and seem to have seemingly the same problems...just more frequently. So I guess there is a benefit to the 8plys

I've had the tires since Christmas...so they're not that old, probably have 400 miles or so on them. Haven't worn down hardly at all, when compared to my step dad's new set.

As far as the bead-locks go, yea you can run the tires flat and not have a problem with them coming off the rim...i rode with a flat for a while one day when i cut the tube in my front tire. Didn't really notice it until we stopped for a drink break. Luckily I had a spare. I got the 8 ply tires because I thought they'd be nearly indestructible...i'm not sure if its because of the weight of the UTV versus an ATV but I had ITP mudlite XTRs on my Rincon with 14" wheels right after they came out and never had a single problem with them, they were on there for nearly 3 years...

The Baja Crosses are great tires so far...they grip wet rocks well and seem to do fairly decent in the mud for not being a dedicated mud tire. I'd definitely change the stock tires...and I don't recommend the Terra Cross tires...my stepdad's teryx had a set on 14" chrome SS wheels when he got it and we had nothing but problems from those tires...The reptiles seem to do alright, I'm not a fan of the bighorns. They just don't seem to do as well, it may be because they're on a RZR but they seem to slide alot more. I've not seen a Teryx with those on yet...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 AM

I have terra cross tires with berryman tire sealant on my teryx. I have never had a flat or tire problem yet. I keep the air at the high side of what the tire reccomends. Maybe i am not as hard on tires as others. I have not put them thru rock crawling since we do not have alot of rocks around here. My 4-wheeler has a different tire on it that i bought from high lifter that are like itp mud lites. I put the berryman tire sealant in these tires as well and have never had a flat.

09 teryx- msd ignition - water impellar - half windsheild - uni filter - standard muzzy - sdr rear bumper - hid lights - dalton clutch- water temp guage - ss108 14 inch with terra cross - dasa kebc block off plate - brake alarm buzzer - over drive plate -ssv works sound system -removable canvas top-odyssey battery- rock sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement