is there any way to get a better ride on stock teryx - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

is there any way to get a better ride on stock teryx

are there any adjustments i can make to make my teryx ride a little better its like riding in a wagon.cant afford to upgrade shocks right now lost my job of 10 years.just would like to not get beat to death.it is completely stock accept ssi wheels and 26 inch bighorns run 12 psi in tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 PM

About all you can do is back off the preload and air down your tires to maybe around 9 psi. You might run into debeading problems if you go much lower, just depends on your terrain and driving style. Maybe different seats if they are in the budget, but they aren't much cheaper than shocks anyway. You could look for a set of take off sport shocks they should be more comfortable and less expensive than aftermarket ones. That's about all of your options without upgrading shocks.

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws
Old 09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Keep your eyes out for used sport shocks. They should be $200 to $400.
It took me a while to get mine though.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:46 PM

there's a company on here that is working on a new improved progressive rate spring, they are to start selling them soon.
It's too bad that we have to improve on so much of a stock machine for what they cost you would think Kawi could have made them much better from the factory!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
there's a company on here that is working on a new improved progressive rate spring, they are to start selling them soon.
It's too bad that we have to improve on so much of a stock machine for what they cost you would think Kawi could have made them much better from the factory!
I have seen several sets of the sport shocks sell, keep our eyes open it is pretty commom with everybody going long travel but in the mean time drop the spring rate to the lightest setting unless you haul very heavy loads it should not hurt your performance, the Teryx comes with a much stronger rate than my Rhino, I had to raise the spring rate on the rear of my Rhino because when I put 300# of corn in the bed my suspension would bottom out, don't cost anything to do that and it is very simple.

Big Daddy
Old 09-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Adjust your front & rear shocks to there softest setting. Both can be adjusted.. Buy a set of wheel spacers 1 1/2 - 2 inch.. Yes wheel spacers will help.. Also drop your tire pressure to 10 psi . All this will make a HUGE diffrence from the stock ride. Just be carefull side loading your tires when your running them at 10psi they will tend to break the bead (seal on the rim) on hard hits.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the input.i will try to find some sport shocks.will i lose ride height when i set it to the softest level.and how do i go about doing this thanks.the terrain i ride is mostly rocky mountain areas with some mud,creek beds.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllywood View Post
thanks for all the input.i will try to find some sport shocks.will i lose ride height when i set it to the softest level.and how do i go about doing this thanks.the terrain i ride is mostly rocky mountain areas with some mud,creek beds.
Yes you will loose some ride height. The suspension will be softer with less peload and from the sounds of it most if not all of your riding is slow speeds so it shouldn't be a problem. Just be aware if you hit something hard with speed with the preload down and low tire pressure your asking for trouble. If you add wheel spacers it will at leverage to the shock again making it softer but more prone to hard g-outs.

My Friends and Sponsors.
http://www.vinylanywhere.com
http://www.collierscustoms.com
http://www.dugfab.com
http://www.discounttiredirect.com
Last Race of the season this October 23rd Wendover Rewound 300.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllywood View Post
You dont need to buy sport shocks.. adjust yours first and see how it feels.. you should have a tool kit with a spanner wrench in there. Use it to turn your cam nut on your front shock.. This will lengthen the spring, causing a softer setting. The rear has a threaded nut.. back it off about a 1/2 inch.. You will lose about 1/2 inch of ride height. But, it will ride alot smoother.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement