Ignition question - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ignition question

Hey guys! Hope everyone is doing good today! Quick question...I had the engine cover/console off of my 08 LE Camo this past weekend and noticed that after 20-30 secs of running right above idle the exhaust pipes start turning red. Within 10-20 secs of that they are glowing. I drove it down the road thinking I was seeing things but the exhaust did the same thing. Is the ignition/timing off that much on a stock Teryx? I pulled the plugs and they show no indications of it running lean. Can you adjust the timing on the 750 like other motors by enlongating the mount holes or would it be better to put a CDI box on it? If a CDI box is the answer...which one? Dynatek, MSD, etc? Thanks for your opinions/ knowledge in advance! Happy Teryxin'!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 PM

The Dynatek non programmable has served me well even with my motor mods. Check with Todd at Hunterworks. Awesome service and a great person to talk to!

2012 RZR XP900 chromoly cage, prp seats, rigid light bar, SSV, grim reapers on SS212's, Dirty Dawg clutch, Cognito Springs
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 PM

Glowing red exhaust is not necessarily a indicator of something wrong, it is most glowing cause it is hot!! LOL Could not help myself here.

Actually the exhaust is stainless and it just glows, perfectly normal.

However the dynatek is a good CDI for more speed and slightly bit more higher RPM power but will not change your exhaust pipe color.

Thanks bDuncan for the comment

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 PM

Todd we are about you like an old used car salesman used to tell us, He said if we would send him customers and tell them that he had Good Cars that he would give us 25.00, he said that it was 10.00 for sending them and 15.00 for lyeing LOL, No for real Todd is great with everybody and takes alot of time on these forums helping people with problems, He has always had time to talk when ever you call, One of these days I am going to Miss to see him if I ever get this dam Teryx back together.

Big Daddy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
Todd we are about you like an old used car salesman used to tell us, He said if we would send him customers and tell them that he had Good Cars that he would give us 25.00, he said that it was 10.00 for sending them and 15.00 for lyeing LOL, No for real Todd is great with everybody and takes alot of time on these forums helping people with problems, He has always had time to talk when ever you call, One of these days I am going to Miss to see him if I ever get this dam Teryx back together.
You keep selling Kim and your tune will be free!!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Glowing red exhaust is not necessarily a indicator of something wrong, it is most glowing cause it is hot!! LOL Could not help myself here.

Actually the exhaust is stainless and it just glows, perfectly normal.

However the dynatek is a good CDI for more speed and slightly bit more higher RPM power but will not change your exhaust pipe color.

Thanks bDuncan for the comment
Thanks Todd! I kinda figured they were hot! Great help from a site supporter! LOL If the pipes are glowing that means that the machine is not burning efficiently and the excess from the combustion cycle is exiting the exhaust. Am I wrong? Unless these exhaust pipes are super thin this seems to be an issue. Not sure that I like the glowing exhaust that close to all the plastic
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo08 View Post
Thanks Todd! I kinda figured they were hot! Great help from a site supporter! LOL If the pipes are glowing that means that the machine is not burning efficiently and the excess from the combustion cycle is exiting the exhaust. Am I wrong? Unless these exhaust pipes are super thin this seems to be an issue. Not sure that I like the glowing exhaust that close to all the plastic
I'm not saying it is not lean, I'm saying glowing red exhaust on these is normal.

This is a pretty common observation. I have had them cherry red all the way to the mufflers and the air/fuel spot on.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I'm not saying it is not lean, I'm saying glowing red exhaust on these is normal.

This is a pretty common observation. I have had them cherry red all the way to the mufflers and the air/fuel spot on.
So do you have any suggestion in fixing the lean situation?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 PM

I have heard other guys talking about the exhaust glowing cherry red, I have just never had the cover off on mine after really hammering on it.

Big Daddy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo08 View Post
So do you have any suggestion in fixing the lean situation?
Sure but you would have to have a air/fuel ratio gauge to know for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement