Teryx clean up - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Teryx clean up

Hey peoples,

Just came back from my first derby with my new rex and found out the hardway what the cleanup is all about. OH my GoD!!! Cleaning this thing is crazy. I've never had that much mud come home with me on any of my machines. There was mud in places that would require complete disassembly. Any tricks you guys have that helps cleaning up? I know just looking over some of the threads some people mentioning different bolts for the rear fenders which seem to build up a major amount of Manitoba Gumbo. Also has anyone added kickplates in the front which prevent the mud from getting in the sides near the floor boards? Any help would be great. Or I'll be cleaning as long as riding. (2010 model)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 PM

I've done some initial design on front plates to prevent mud, but not had time to finish it.

2008 Teryx

Something to Tinker with

PM me if you are looking for a Service Manual.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 PM

no secrets that I know of. just lots of water, soap and time. I just wish the 08 had a tilt front end like the 10's. The tilt bed helps a lot with cleaning.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:32 AM

clean,clean,clean you wont be sorry, get down and scrub it, thats when you will fing all your damages,remove your bellys, and engine covers,and driveshaft hump, scrub any mud residue off engine and coolant lines,even a light film of residue will promote overheating. when your machine dries, lube all pivot points

MERLIN MOTORSPORTS GROUP TERYX
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
clean,clean,clean you wont be sorry, get down and scrub it, thats when you will fing all your damages,remove your bellys, and engine covers,and driveshaft hump, scrub any mud residue off engine and coolant lines,even a light film of residue will promote overheating. when your machine dries, lube all pivot points
Just thought there might be some tricks to preventing the invation of mud. The frame design and dead spaces on the 2010 (sure older models aren't much different) are crazy to clean. Not sure what type of mud you guys ride in but the stuff we have here is like concrete when dried. I like my bike to be cleaned right up after each ride like you say. Anyone heard of taken the rear fenders off with different fasteners? This is supposed to help with the clean up. As far as lube. From what my dealer told me there were no grease points at all?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 PM

When cleaning mine I found getting the front end up higher helps a lot. I put the front tires up on the back of the trailer or those car ramps/chocks. This helps all the dirt/sand/mud run out the back.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:56 PM

I don't ever get my Teryx muddy, heck I won't even let my wife ride it after a rain but now my Rhino thats a different story we don't cull nothing but I tell you what I do on my rides that I ride in the mud, I clean it good and then I spray all of my front and rear chassis and anything that gets alot of mud with WD_40. I had a friend I use to race with did it and I use to make fun of him but when we would go to wash his washed right off and when he sprayed it everything that you spray looks brand new even the motor, been doing it for 25 years. Have any of you ever done that all of the guys I raced with did it??

Big Daddy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 PM

I also spray the heck out of everything I can, even the engine with wd when clean and it helps everything come off when cleaning, and I ride dunes also so it helps keep the rust gremlins away. Shady.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Build Sponsor

+1 for the WD40 treatment...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM

good old fashioned pressure washer and about half an hour. Definitely worth having your own.

Had my Teryx at the car wash, cost me $11.00.

Open the hood, tilt the box and take out the seats and spray the SH!T out of it. When you start doing your mods, you'll have to clean everything then too.

I'm pretty sure most SxS would be just as bad. You've just got to pay to play. No fun is free.

2010 Teryx LE,
MSD
Muzzy's Duel Exhaust
Dalton Clutch Kit
HW Overdrive Clutch Cover
Snorkeled
K&N Modded Air Filter
HID Light bar
Odyssey PC925 Battery
Black Rhino gauge Pod (Tach, volt, W Temp)
27" Zilla's
Muzzy 840, Stage II cams, 38mm throttle bodies,
324 injectors, Water impeller,
new stock crank, rods and barring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement