Teryx HQ banner

Rear brakes replacement question

14K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  KYWILDCATS74 
#1 ·
I am ordering the parts to replace my rear brakes. Anyone who has replaced them already, i am wondering if you just replaced the friction disks or if you put in the seperators and steel disks to. Any input would help. Thanks

#2 ·
I just changed the friction discs and inspected and cleaned up the steel ones with Emory paper

#6 ·
That's gonna save u some $$$, also I seem to remember kywildcat had informative thread about rear brake replacement so u should do a search for that thread, it'll help u out for sure

#7 ·
Would love to see a you-tube video of that rear brake install. I'm sure other members would too!! I was hoping Todd from Hunterworks or Magellan might someday show one. With the Teryx models now going on three years old, I'm sure this is going to become a more and more common ailment.

#11 · (Edited)
Guys, it is a simple job.. 2 hrs..Drain rear diff . Remove bed. pop off rear drive shaft, (pull boot back and slide snap ring out of groove ) unhook brake linkage ( simple loosen bolt slide cable assy off grooves) take off brake line from slave cyl., take the 6 or 8 ( cant remember exact # of bolts) out of front cover of rear diff( this is where your brakes are held) The cover will come off with the brakes (friction & disks). This assy splines into your rear diff.. Put assy on table.. Remove rear slave cylinder then remove little philips screw that holds the gasket over the disk. Then unstack in the order they come out. Clean and inspect your disk. reinstall coating your frictions with new diff oil. Make sure they are all splined in together. Install new gasket and snug the small philips screw that holds the gasket on. Reinstall slave cylinder. Put cover back on rear diff ( you might have to roll the rear wheels a bit to get all the splines to line up so the cover will go all the way on) retighten the cover bolts. Install linkage, drive shaft, brake line, add rear diff oil, add a little dot 3 brake oil to your front master cyl and bleed your rear brakes, adjust your parking brake and put your bed back on.. Go ride and enjoy having new brakes:D I would also install a parking brake alarm so you wont have to ever do this again :laugh::wave:

#10 ·
I will see what i can do. Havent done the rear brakes before but I have 2 teryx's to do them on. So im shure either pics or a video will be part of my process on one of them. I just ordered the parts. I found that one site had the friction disks marked as discontinued. I believe it was cheapcycleparts.com. I ended up ordering from powersedge.com, seem cheap on parts so i will see how the recieving process goes.

#12 ·
Kywildcats.....I'm sure as you explain it, there are pictures in your brain that relate exactly to what you are saying. You have already done it so it now seems easy. Unfortunately, to the members who have never done this install, we don't see those pictures in our brains and much of what you said can be confusing. In other words, lol.....A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.....A VIDEO IS WORTH A MILLION!!

#13 ·
:laugh: Dont let the job overwhelm you... I know pics help and I know video takes it to a new level.. But honestly it is not that complicated. I did it before anybody on this forum did it and and posted a thread. Several have done it since the thread.. Some used my thread for direction.. Just follow my direction and you will see excactly what I am saying.. If you have any trouble PM me and I will give you my # and talk you through it. Just here to help:wave:

#15 ·
Than "KY". Not completely sure if I need rear brakes yet. I know I had to adjust the wing nut behind me all the way because I had no more parking brake left. Since this is tied to the rear brakes I have to assume that the next time I have no more Parking Brake I will then have to change the rears. Do you agree?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.