Cold weather blues (throttle cable) - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cold weather blues (throttle cable)

Took some time off this week to go out riding and hunting. The Weather changed for the worst on Wedesday. We got a bunch of wet snow and the temperature went from +10 to -5.

At least the ground is a little dryer, but now I've got trouble.

I spend a lot of time in the swamp when I ride. I've drowned my Teryx a couple of times this summer, and now it's come back to haunt me.

I guess when the machine sits in water, the moisture seeps into the cables. My throttle cable and front dif lock cable are frozen solid. I'm going to have to remove them to free them and dry them out.

Has anyone else had this problem in the colder climates?

2010 Teryx LE,
MSD
Muzzy's Duel Exhaust
Dalton Clutch Kit
HW Overdrive Clutch Cover
Snorkeled
K&N Modded Air Filter
HID Light bar
Odyssey PC925 Battery
Black Rhino gauge Pod (Tach, volt, W Temp)
27" Zilla's
Muzzy 840, Stage II cams, 38mm throttle bodies,
324 injectors, Water impeller,
new stock crank, rods and barring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Living in Florida, I don't have the cold temps. But my front end cable frooze up and it was from all the water and mud that I run in. I bought a cable luber off ebay for $5.30 and you use WD-40 to lube your cables. Hope that this helps...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorrick View Post
Living in Florida, I don't have the cold temps. But my front end cable frooze up and it was from all the water and mud that I run in. I bought a cable luber off ebay for $5.30 and you use WD-40 to lube your cables. Hope that this helps...
Cable luber.......huh? They have that. LOL Seriously thought the same thing after Jfilion mentioned it. Would WD 40 not attract grit and dust if used. I was thinking a dry lubricant.?? Not really sure. Some of these guys on here must ride in the snow and cold. Come on fellas. Newer owner myself here could use the advice.

"infected by the MAD KAW " Mudforce"

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
Mud Industries Snorkle with Armor tips

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 AM

my cables are froze just about all winter from 3 weeks ago till march maybe april i douch the hell out of all my cables with either WD or PB blaster PB works best if there is salt and other sh*t
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:44 AM
lha

Yeah i here ya about the weather.I was looking to go out this weekend but rain all weekend.Ill wait till its a nice dry day. we dont get alot of snow here in portland,or just ALOT OF RAIN!Sorry about your cables hope you get it sorted out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've got the throttle cable loose now and have some advise for anyone this might happen to.

I took a 12cc syringe and some gas line antifreeze and squirted it into the line from the carb end. Once I got a fair bit in there, I used the air hose to force it through to the peddle end. This actually worked pretty good.

Then I took some Fluid Film Rust and Corrosion Prevention and sprayed that into the cable from the carb end. I used the air hose to force this through the cable as well. I used this stuff because it sounded the best. It sounds like it should work.

It's a Lanolin based rust/corrosion preventive and lubricant Offers long term protection and lubrication Designed for use on metal surfaces Will not be washed off with water Environmentally friendlier - no solvents. It's supposed to repel water and it's safe for the Rubber covers. Hell, this stuff is even food safe.

So, now I have the throttle cable loosened up, I have to figure out how to free up the Diff lock cable. I hope it's as easy to get at as the throttle.

2010 Teryx LE,
MSD
Muzzy's Duel Exhaust
Dalton Clutch Kit
Snorkeled
K&N Modded Air Filter
HID Light bar
Odyssey PC925 Battery
27" Zilla's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 AM

You know it would be nice if Kawi...I don't know maybe fixed the issue? People use these in the winter..maybe they don't know that.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfilion View Post
Well, I've got the throttle cable loose now and have some advise for anyone this might happen to.

I took a 12cc syringe and some gas line antifreeze and squirted it into the line from the carb end. Once I got a fair bit in there, I used the air hose to force it through to the peddle end. This actually worked pretty good.

Then I took some Fluid Film Rust and Corrosion Prevention and sprayed that into the cable from the carb end. I used the air hose to force this through the cable as well. I used this stuff because it sounded the best. It sounds like it should work.

It's a Lanolin based rust/corrosion preventive and lubricant Offers long term protection and lubrication Designed for use on metal surfaces Will not be washed off with water Environmentally friendlier - no solvents. It's supposed to repel water and it's safe for the Rubber covers. Hell, this stuff is even food safe.

So, now I have the throttle cable loosened up, I have to figure out how to free up the Diff lock cable. I hope it's as easy to get at as the throttle.
Sounds like a great fix. I gotta admit I've never pulled apart the part under the center console. Been pretty focused on the front diff. You have pics of the whole situation?

"infected by the MAD KAW " Mudforce"

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
Mud Industries Snorkle with Armor tips
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

No, haven't taken any. Lost my camera in a cab one night after a wedding. lol.

It's pretty easy. I have to say, I'm almost glad I've been having some minor issues with my machine; it forces me to tare it apart and learn how everything fits together.

The ice thing, (though miner) is a bummer when it's -20 for five months.

2010 Teryx LE,
MSD
Muzzy's Duel Exhaust
Dalton Clutch Kit
Snorkeled
K&N Modded Air Filter
HID Light bar
Odyssey PC925 Battery
27" Zilla's
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:23 PM
eez

Best thing u can due is buy the cable luber, it only cost few bucks on ebay, when u have this it only takes couple mins to clean/lube your cable. Just take end of cable off at the diff, attach cbl luber, i use contact cleaner first to clean the cable, use this til it comes out other side clean, then use cable lube of your choice til it comes out other side, done. I use maxima cable lube i picked up at dealer and it works great. I do this every few times out and dont ever have any probs anymore and i ride in wet a$$ pa all winter long and dont have a heated garage. Once in awhile i do break out the turbo heater to thaw my rex out as the whole thing turns into a giant ice cube sometimes. Another thing to watch out for to is its pretty easy to stretch your diff lok cable especially if it had been froze up, if its froze up and you yank on that lever a couple times its prolly effed. I had to replace mine

09 monster, msd & muzzy std, dalton clutch kit and od plate (not installed yet), viper 4500 with synthetic rope, homemade alum. roof, homemade uhmw skids, homemade catch can, uni slip-on filter with billet adapter, 26.5 pitbull rockers on stock sport rims, hid's from sxs customs, oddyssey 925 with sandjunkies mount, motels full windshield, induced fab doors, 62 mph top speed on speedo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement