CVT Sucks - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

CVT Sucks

I have an 09' teryx LE and for the most part I love this UTV. The suspension, engine, looks etc are great! But, I HATE the CVT transmission. It's noisy, Produces alot of heat, engine revs too high when you just want to creep through the woods, shudders when you take off with a load, slips when you get it wet, and most of all is just an absolute weak point in the drivetrain. I could go on and on but I will stop for now.

So, here is my question. What can I do to improve the function and performace of the CVT? How's the CVT on the other brands compared to the Teryx? I know the Honda has the auto similar to the Rubicon, but its so damn big and ugly I couldnt bring myself to buy it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 09:47 AM

I don't have the problems that you are discribing or I just don't notice them, I have a 2006 Rhino and when I bought it I guess I just got use to the CVT and actually love them, I have the vforce john mod in mine and doing 840 kit and when I get through with the engine kit I will also install a clutch wieght kit

Big Daddy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Clutch kit or a clutch mod like VFJ does will solve some of your problems.
It will not solve the noise or heat issue.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 AM
eez

snorkle the intake and exhaust for belt housing to keep belt from getting wet, they are pretty low and water gets in pretty easily, if it shudders on take off u need to adjust belt deflection, new belts stretch and need adjusted after about 10hrs but will be good after that. and a clutch kit will help belt life and performance as well. i wouldnt consider it a weakj point, just needs a lil maint. once in awhile. i heard the polaris utvs are really hard on belts but cant testify to that, i got 2 buddys with hi mile rhinos and they never have trouble, of course, they never have the lead either
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Of the things you describe I only have the noise issue. Of course I am not running oversize tires, hammering the throttle to the floor all the time, jumping sand dunes, using my Teryx as a boat, or rooting it around in the mud like a warthog. Have 105 hours on mine, the belt has never been touched, and it takes me into the big rocks without any problem. If I was to complain it would be about the piss poor factory cooling system.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I will definately snorkle the CVT soon, as I use the Teryx for hunting in Louisiana and there is deep water everywhere. I checked the belt deflection and it seemed good, but I did it with a dial caliper and my own judgement as far as how much force to use. But your right it didn't do this when brand new so maybe the belt stretched a little. I still don't understand the "rattling" when first accelerating??? I don't think it did this when new either so maybe the deflection will help with this also. Any suggestions on which clutch kit is best? I plan on running 28" mud lites in the near future.

thanks for the input!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 PM

i would suggest the dalton clutch kit, i run 28" mudzillas.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I assume you are always in low gear when you are crawling around slowly.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
I assume you are always in low gear when you are crawling around slowly.
No, I find that I can control the Teryx much better in high. Low range is very jerky. I disconected the engine brake b/c of this, but I can still get into a sequence in low where I guess the belt is catching/letting go..... and it is very jerky. This doesnt happen in high. Is this normal???
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 05:18 PM

Build you a 4 in x 6 in ramp and attach to the floor board,to suport your heal. Then just sebd your clutch to V Force John Machines the sheaves cuts over drive plate 400 with springs and 2 day shipping. Go over to kawieatvforum and do a search for more info. Or just call john at interstate motors. His mod rocks. I am running 27.5 pit bull growlers, man they hook up. No belt prob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement