motor help - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
eez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

motor help

so went for a lil ride and motoring down trail then all the sudden massive loss of power and smoke billowing everywhere, now i didnt have a catch can because it never really seemed to need it before but i got it home and did find the plenum had some oil in it so i figured i must of over filled oil and it pushed up in there, no biggie, so i made myself a catch can with breather on it and installed it and went for another burn, everthing seemed fine for awhile then lost power again, back into garage and this time tore plenum off and noticed oil in there so i cleaned it out good thinking maybe there was oil left in there from the initial time and maybe that caused my problem, then i checked the oil and it was barely showing on dipstick, WTF where is my oil goin??? Just changed oil previous to this and wondering what the hell went wrong. Now the bike will run fine for awhile then it suddenly loses all power and billows smoke, let it sit for awhile and all is fine again. I was really not ready for a motor kit yet cuz i cant afford it now but i just have a bad feeling my rings are bad or something. Motor sounds fine but im leary to keep trying to run it cuz i dont wanna tear anything up. Someone help please, any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 PM

Sounds like you are still losing oil from the crankcase vent in to the plenum, what kind of set up did you do to solve that issue, you must use one of the set up that allows the oil to go back in the motor, I don't think it is a ring issue because that would not put oil back in to the plenum and it would not just smoke at randum times, your crankcase vent needs to go into some type of catch can that allows the oil to drain back into the head or some where back into the motor.

Big Daddy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
eez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
Sounds like you are still losing oil from the crankcase vent in to the plenum, what kind of set up did you do to solve that issue, you must use one of the set up that allows the oil to go back in the motor, I don't think it is a ring issue because that would not put oil back in to the plenum and it would not just smoke at randum times, your crankcase vent needs to go into some type of catch can that allows the oil to drain back into the head or some where back into the motor.
i assumed oil could only get to plenum thru the one hose that comes into the factory catch can, is this correct, i , i copied a set up from az amzoil i think running the vent hose to a lb box fitting for a catch can with a breather filter element on the end and plugged the hose coming from the plenum, i figured this would work temporarily as i plan on getting the set up that i think sandjunkie makes, i am just worried about where all the oil is goin all the sudden cuz i never had the problem before and havent changed anything.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 PM

Make sure your engine breather isnt plugged or kinked.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWILDCATS74 View Post
Make sure your engine breather isnt plugged or kinked.
I agree, sounds like he is building up to much crankcase pressure.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:58 PM

mystery oil in the plenum

check to make sure that your soft top is not being sucked up in your air inlet snorkel on top of the air filter housing! this will cause oil to be sucked up from the crankcase and also obviously smoke very bad, when it eventually dies the material will fall away making this very hard to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement