Frozen Rex - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Frozen Rex

Hello all,

Went for a ride the other day and had some problems going from 2WD to 4WD. Usually store my ride in heated garage. Temps here are in the -25 range lately. (that C just to avoid confusion). I tried to engage 4WD the other day after a shorter ride but it took several minutes until it finally took and trying to go back to 2WD after didn't happen until I returned home and she thawed out. I have heard on here namely from Jfillion there can be issues with cables getting water into them this might cause issues. Can someone give me in laymans terms how the 4WD engages. I have not had time to pull the thing apart to see how it functions. As well is the remedy for this to lube cables?
One more quick questions for those of us that ride in cold climates what other issues will I likely see in the winter as the temps drop? My old quad seemed to have the same type of quirks as things got cold but once you knew what to look for its managable.

Thanks for all you help

"infected by the MAD KAW " Mudforce"

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
Mud Industries Snorkle with Armor tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 AM

Cold here too

Noz: I am in ND, push snow in Low and when I select Reverse I have to go to Hi first until it engages, then Reverse works in 2X or 4X. Dealer says this is normal?? Mt 09 Sport is a pig in deep snow unless the blade goes through first.Not much help here since I leave in 4X during winter.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 PM
eez

There is a vaccum operated acuator that pulls in when you switch to 4wd which operates a cable that hooks to a lever on the diff to pull it into 4wd, when you switch to 2wd there is a return spring on that lever to bring it back to 2wd. I try to keep cable lubed with wd before every outing ( i dont take cable out to do it just do best i can with it on machine) and also try to keep snow pack out of lever area while riding. Diff lock is prone to same problem and its very easy to stretch that cable if it is frozen and you reef on lever and then once cable is stretched bike stays in partial lock makin it push badly in turns so i just dont use diff lock unless i absolutely have to. This setup is poor IMHO and the rhinos never have problems like this cuz they have electronic actuators and i wish the teryx had was like that Your lucky, your garage is heated unlike mine so mine stays frozen til i fire up the turbo heater to thaw it out

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM

One issue I had last year was coming from a warm shop and out riding in the snow, we would head into the fishing shack for a bit and then teryx wouldn't start, would turn over real good but no fire. I found after a couple tows back to the shop that my intake snorkel was sucking in snow and coating the filter which would melt and then freeze after sitting at the shack. This year I put some flowrite material(for sled intakes) over the snorkel and has been good.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:40 PM

The throttle cable on my 09 is frozen right now. Water crossings in the summer, then parked outside in the tent/shed. Will thaw it out then try and giver some methanol to take care of the water.

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eez View Post
There is a vaccum operated acuator that pulls in when you switch to 4wd which operates a cable that hooks to a lever on the diff to pull it into 4wd, when you switch to 2wd there is a return spring on that lever to bring it back to 2wd. I try to keep cable lubed with wd before every outing ( i dont take cable out to do it just do best i can with it on machine) and also try to keep snow pack out of lever area while riding. Diff lock is prone to same problem and its very easy to stretch that cable if it is frozen and you reef on lever and then once cable is stretched bike stays in partial lock makin it push badly in turns so i just dont use diff lock unless i absolutely have to. This setup is poor IMHO and the rhinos never have problems like this cuz they have electronic actuators and i wish the teryx had was like that Your lucky, your garage is heated unlike mine so mine stays frozen til i fire up the turbo heater to thaw it out
I did end up lubing the cable after I heard Jfilions problems on here a while back. Still ended up with problems it seems. I guess its the price you pay to play in the water in the summer. LOL Rhinos might have a better set up but we whoop their butts with sheer Kawi power. Its a trade off. I'll take the 750. Thanks for all the info.

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teryxosaurus View Post
One issue I had last year was coming from a warm shop and out riding in the snow, we would head into the fishing shack for a bit and then teryx wouldn't start, would turn over real good but no fire. I found after a couple tows back to the shop that my intake snorkel was sucking in snow and coating the filter which would melt and then freeze after sitting at the shack. This year I put some flowrite material(for sled intakes) over the snorkel and has been good.
Still waiting to put on snorkle setup by Mud Industries. They sell "armor tips" which have screen built in. Really nice setup. They are actually really good value only like $25 for three I think. Good info tho. I have rear window on the beast and snow does roll up behind the cab pretty good as my kids found out LOL.

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 02:20 PM
eez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzleweed View Post
Still waiting to put on snorkle setup by Mud Industries. They sell "armor tips" which have screen built in. Really nice setup. They are actually really good value only like $25 for three I think. Good info tho. I have rear window on the beast and snow does roll up behind the cab pretty good as my kids found out LOL.
I just ordered a back window and its suddenly occured to me will this allow enuf air flow for engine to breath?? Do you have any problems?? I wish i knew a way to resolve steam issue on this thing cu i get a lotta steam from snow melting on engine as i blast thru it then it freezes on windshield and beings that i ride alot at nite this is a real problem, i figure those lil 12v heaters suck up alot of juice outta battery and those heaters that hook up to coolant system i cant justify the price for the short season of winter we have. Wonder if anyone has done a homemade one using heater core from a car or something??

09 monster, msd & muzzy std, dalton clutch kit and od plate (not installed yet), viper 4500 with synthetic rope, homemade alum. roof, homemade uhmw skids, homemade catch can, uni slip-on filter with billet adapter, 26.5 pitbull rockers on stock sport rims, hid's from sxs customs, oddyssey 925 with sandjunkies mount, motels full windshield, induced fab doors, 62 mph top speed on speedo
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:21 AM

I guess I didn't get to drive long enough to find out if I'd have had this problem.... toooo. To be honest, the teryx is a fantastic ride, but the little quirks that I've been having are really starting to get to me. I wonder if all SxS have the same types of problems?

I really like winter, and I damn well wish I could be riding in it this year.

So, ya, I still have frozen cables. I don't have a heated shop to park, so I'm pretty much hooped.

Once I get the cables thawed though, what kind of lube should a guy use in the cable line?

I'm thinking of using a needle to push methyl-hydrate into the cable line to displace the moisture, but I'm going to have to lube the cable after.

Anyone got some suggestions?

2010 Teryx LE,
MSD
Muzzy's Duel Exhaust
Dalton Clutch Kit
HW Overdrive Clutch Cover
Snorkeled
K&N Modded Air Filter
HID Light bar
Odyssey PC925 Battery
Black Rhino gauge Pod (Tach, volt, W Temp)
27" Zilla's
Muzzy 840, Stage II cams, 38mm throttle bodies,
324 injectors, Water impeller,
new stock crank, rods and barring
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:54 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can you leave it in an industrial shop that a friend works for the 3-4 days most shops are closed over Christmas and thaw it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement