Snorkel Options need opinions. - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Snorkel Options need opinions.

I have been looking at snorkeling my rig. I can't decide what to do. I have 3 options.

1. (cheapest) Buy the pieces from the parts list on the thread in these forums from lowes and do it my self. Being that I have never done it I am assuming that this option will take a lot of time and I don't want to miss anything and screw my bike up.

Around $70 (if i remember the thread correctly) and a lot of time!

2. (pricey) Buy a kit online with instructions and have at it. Still have the same time issue at hand here. Everything else I have bought for the Teryx has come with SH*T directions, so i assume the snorkel kits are no different.

Anywhere from 179 to 349 for the kit and a lot of time!

3. (most out of pocket expense) My kawa dealer has a guy that does these on the side. I drop the bike off one morning, and pick it up the next day all done and ready to roll. He has done quite a few of them and seems to really know what he is doing.

$400.00 and I don't even think about it!

Any thoughts on this?

Black 2010 Teryx 750EFI 4x4 ~ Probox top w/ sony head and speakers ~ Half windshield ~ HID light kit ~ in dash cup holders ~ 5000lb wide spool Viper Max winch ~ 30" Silverbacks ~ 14" SS212 (black) wheels ~ HL 3GX Drive belt ~ submarine snorkel kit ~ 2 Kicker cvt 10" subs and Kicker amp ~ Kawasaki Fender Flares ~ 3" Catvos Lift ~ EPI mudder clutch kit ~

Future adds ~ exhaust? ~ MSD? ~ power steering? ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:28 AM

I have done them myself, and also bought the kit. it is a pain to do the teryx just giving you a heads up. taking off all the plastic and bead and routing it in. i did it myself with a kit on my teryx and glad i used a kit. still had to modify a little but it gave me a good start. also doing it myself i know that everything is sealed properly. 400 for someone to do it for you isn't a bad deal as long as you can trust them. buying the parts yourself takes alot of time back and forth to the hardware store and hope you can find the black pipe, and if you got to paint white pipe thats even more to deal with. i would buy the kit and do it myself. the kit also comes with the attachment needed for your air box. i had to make mine becuase they didn't have it out when i did mine and it took some engineering..lol.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 AM

Are you snorkeling your belt or your breather box or both?

If it's just the belt, it's pretty simple to do yourself. It takes a just about as long to take your plastic apart as it does to run the snorkel. Check you the post "Belt Housing Snorkel". It give you pretty good instructions. Just don't for get you need to add a shroud around the intake.

You can push your intake out the front, under the hood, or you can run it up behind the seats. The unfortunate thing is, the exhaust from the belt casing is 3". I did a lot of research and no one has come up with a way to run the 3" from under the box. you'll have to reduce it to 2". This restricts the air flow and can lead to excess heat in the belt casing, decreasing the life span of your belt.

You can do the air box too if you want, but the intake is pretty high already.

Bottom line, the kits you can buy are the same as you can build. If you pay someone you are throwing your cash away. Cash you can use for a MSD, or Muzzy's. Plus, it's good to get to know your machine a bit better. Taking it apart and putting it back together teaches you a lot about how everything works.

2010 Teryx LE,
MSD
Muzzy's Duel Exhaust
Dalton Clutch Kit
HW Overdrive Clutch Cover
Snorkeled
K&N Modded Air Filter
HID Light bar
Odyssey PC925 Battery
Black Rhino gauge Pod (Tach, volt, W Temp)
27" Zilla's
Muzzy 840, Stage II cams, 38mm throttle bodies,
324 injectors, Water impeller,
new stock crank, rods and barring

Last edited by jfilion; 12-19-2010 at 12:41 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:13 PM

I have snorkeled both cvt and airbox.... It really is pretty simple to do it your self. I used 2" pvc for intake and exhaust and have had no problems. there are some pretty good posts on Teryx Forums .net just search for snorkel. I looked at everyone else's ideas then just kinda did it to fit. The main things you need are rubber 3" to 2" adapter and cut it down to fit and a rubber 2" to 2". this is the parts list i used and spent about $40 on everything.... if you choose to do this a little tip on the rubber 3" to 2", after you
cut it down to size, put in a pot of boiling water for a min and it makes it easy to put on the exhaust port of the belt housing.. Hope this helps, have pics if interested

1-3"x2" rubber adapter
1-2"x2" rubber connector
1-2"x2" rubber 90
3-2"x2' pvc pipe
5-2"street 90
2-2"street 45
1-2" 45 (non street)
1-2" 90 (non street) male/female
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:09 PM

My Teryx is my First ATV. I snorkled my ride, took me a day, had issues with the 3"x2" adapter. Used my oven to heat up the boot a little and it went on fine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

I want to do the belt housing and the intake. I want to not have to worry about water under my head level. I have a good friend who bought a used polaris 800 sportsman. he rode twice and now has to pay $2800.00 to get his motor fixed after he swamped it. The hole just didn't look that deep. I tink a snorkle is a lot cheaper than a motor. lol (even if it does cost me $400.00)

My only hang-ups with doing it myself is:
1. I would have to sacrifice ride time to get it done.

2. I want it to look good. I don't want people to say "wow you can tell he did that himself" Call me a prima donna, but I have spent too much money already for my bike to look like some nascar fan went crazy with a bunch of duct tape and bailing wire. LOL (no offense nascar fans)

I guess I just have to nut up and do it. I am good with my hands and not afraid to get dirty. I just want it done right. Can I see pictures of the one you did using that parts list you just posted nate177. I want to make sure that is the route I want to go. It sure would save a ton of money. Thanks for all the replies!

Black 2010 Teryx 750EFI 4x4 ~ Probox top w/ sony head and speakers ~ Half windshield ~ HID light kit ~ in dash cup holders ~ 5000lb wide spool Viper Max winch ~ 30" Silverbacks ~ 14" SS212 (black) wheels ~ HL 3GX Drive belt ~ submarine snorkel kit ~ 2 Kicker cvt 10" subs and Kicker amp ~ Kawasaki Fender Flares ~ 3" Catvos Lift ~ EPI mudder clutch kit ~

Future adds ~ exhaust? ~ MSD? ~ power steering? ~
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 AM

I think mine turned out good, a lot of people ask me how I did mine. Installing PVC Pipe is very easy, used a can of spray on bed liner to finish off the pipes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 PM

sorry thought i had more pics... i can take some and post later... as long as you take your time you can make it look just as professional as you want. I still want to bring my two belt snorkels closer to the middle just aint had time. It took me about two hours to do the cvt snorkel. its pretty basic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1176.JPG
Views:	5327
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	2883   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1181.JPG
Views:	4573
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	2884  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement