Exhaust - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Exhaust

I know a lot of you guys are all about the muzzy exhaust. I am absolutely sure it is bad ass at what it is supposed to do. I want to increase a little horse power without A: spending 900 bucks and B: not deafening every animal in the woods. LOL I also want to be able to hear my stereo when on a ride with my group. I am looking at the hmf swamp series slip on. I know it wont give me the power that the muzzy will but I am will to sacrifice some HP for some coin. Also I know everyone on here loves the MSD, but there are some cheaper options out there. HMF makes one and I can buy it and the exhaust for 150 more than just the MSD. Take into cosideration that I am not a "RACER" I don't have to be the fastest out there. I just want a little more power to tackle those deep mudholes or the steep hills. I appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Black 2010 Teryx 750EFI 4x4 ~ Probox top w/ sony head and speakers ~ Half windshield ~ HID light kit ~ in dash cup holders ~ 5000lb wide spool Viper Max winch ~ 30" Silverbacks ~ 14" SS212 (black) wheels ~ HL 3GX Drive belt ~ submarine snorkel kit ~ 2 Kicker cvt 10" subs and Kicker amp ~ Kawasaki Fender Flares ~ 3" Catvos Lift ~ EPI mudder clutch kit ~

Future adds ~ exhaust? ~ MSD? ~ power steering? ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 AM

One of the nice features of the Muzzy is the ability to install the whisper core and turn downs. They make a huge difference in the noise out put. They are however a bit pricey.

Motoworks also makes a good exhaust for the Teryx at a great price. You can get it in the full system or a slip on. Theres not too much gain with just the slip-on as opposed to the full system but you can save some more $$. I'll send you a PM with pricing on both systems.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 PM

I am with Chad on that none of the slip ons are going to give you much more hp than just pulling the spark arrester out of the stock pipe regaurdless of what anybody says so much of your hp is made with the head pipes, as far as the MSD I would not go any other way almost all of your shops and engine builders are using it and almost any thing else you go with you are sort of like on an island as far as tuning and maps, I know that is not what you want to hear but even going the other route you have alot of money invested and I am afraid you would be disappointed with the results, I have seen the Muzzys for less than 700.00 and Hunterworks was selling the MSD for 375.00 shipped and maps installed, also Chad at FuelATV will not steer you wrong.

Big Daddy

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
I am with Chad on that none of the slip ons are going to give you much more hp than just pulling the spark arrester out of the stock pipe regaurdless of what anybody says so much of your hp is made with the head pipes, as far as the MSD I would not go any other way almost all of your shops and engine builders are using it and almost any thing else you go with you are sort of like on an island as far as tuning and maps, I know that is not what you want to hear but even going the other route you have alot of money invested and I am afraid you would be disappointed with the results, I have seen the Muzzys for less than 700.00 and Hunterworks was selling the MSD for 375.00 shipped and maps installed, also Chad at FuelATV will not steer you wrong.
I would look on ebay as much as I hate to. I bought a brand new exhaust, which was AC Racing/DragonFire Racing for $400.00. It is equal lenght pipes and it is also triple step like everybody else. For noise it is not to bad, I had a Gibson slip-on that was loader and sounded like crap. I did not see any power gains.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:52 PM

Most of the high dollar exhaust systems are high dollar for a reason. They are built from better materials, ussually fit better and are built to a higher standard. They will last alont longer without having issues like stress cracks and temperature cracks. I'm not a big fan of an exhaust that breaks down and rattles after a couple of years, I prefer something I can install and forget about. I also know that the higher dollar exhausts that were previous mentioned will take care of the problem should one arise.
Also just because an exhaust is tripple stepped it doesn't mean it will perform as well. Cannister design and pipe design play a huge factor. The size of the inlet on the head pipe, thickness of the flanges, size and placement of the steps are just a few things that will make a difference in the performance.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandone View Post
I know a lot of you guys are all about the muzzy exhaust. I am absolutely sure it is bad ass at what it is supposed to do. I want to increase a little horse power without A: spending 900 bucks and B: not deafening every animal in the woods. LOL I also want to be able to hear my stereo when on a ride with my group. I am looking at the hmf swamp series slip on. I know it wont give me the power that the muzzy will but I am will to sacrifice some HP for some coin. Also I know everyone on here loves the MSD, but there are some cheaper options out there. HMF makes one and I can buy it and the exhaust for 150 more than just the MSD. Take into cosideration that I am not a "RACER" I don't have to be the fastest out there. I just want a little more power to tackle those deep mudholes or the steep hills. I appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks for all your help everyone!
Gonna be blunt here.

Slip on a total waste of money, sight and sound only!! Even Muzzy will tell you this and they sell a slip on too.

The controller your talking about from HMF is just for fuel, no ignition, no higher revs and no change on speed limiter. MSD is the best option, we have them on sale now for $375

Tested several pipes a while back, Muzzy is the only pipe in my opinion and they are not $900, we have items over $750 10% off

Now if you do the slip on, don't waste your money on a fuel only controller cause it will not need it the extra fuel for just a slip on.

Todd

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

OK OK OK OK!!!!!!! I get it hahaha I just need to quit whining about the money and buy the good sh*t! LOL Buy good expensive products cry once......Buy cheap crappy product cry everytime you ride. I know what I need to do I just don't want to part with the coin to do it. LOL I'm cheap what can I say? I guess I will just do it slowly over time. If I put the muzzy do I need the MSD right away? If I do the MSD do I need the pipes right away? Which should I do first? Or should I wait and do it all at the same time? For the time being I am going to pull out the spark arrester and exhaust tip.

I don't want my Teryx to sound like a race car. Which exhaust would be deeper and less "LOUD"? The muzzy or the HMF?

Black 2010 Teryx 750EFI 4x4 ~ Probox top w/ sony head and speakers ~ Half windshield ~ HID light kit ~ in dash cup holders ~ 5000lb wide spool Viper Max winch ~ 30" Silverbacks ~ 14" SS212 (black) wheels ~ HL 3GX Drive belt ~ submarine snorkel kit ~ 2 Kicker cvt 10" subs and Kicker amp ~ Kawasaki Fender Flares ~ 3" Catvos Lift ~ EPI mudder clutch kit ~

Future adds ~ exhaust? ~ MSD? ~ power steering? ~
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandone View Post
OK OK OK OK!!!!!!! I get it hahaha I just need to quit whining about the money and buy the good sh*t! LOL Buy good expensive products cry once......Buy cheap crappy product cry every time you ride. I know what I need to do I just don't want to part with the coin to do it. LOL I'm cheap what can I say? I guess I will just do it slowly over time. If I put the muzzy do I need the MSD right away? If I do the MSD do I need the pipes right away? Which should I do first? Or should I wait and do it all at the same time? For the time being I am going to pull out the spark arrestor and exhaust tip.

I don't want my Teryx to sound like a race car. Which exhaust would be deeper and less "LOUD"? The muzzy or the HMF?
Why do you want to change your exhaust ? Just drive the damn thing..
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Buy the MSD first, it will get you to 60-64 mph, if you buy the MSD from Todd it will come with 4 setting for stock but raise your speed and rpm limiters, and the when you get the muzzy change it to the #5 setting for the air and fuel for the muzzy in addition to what the 4 setting does, with the MSD you will mostly see top speed gains, I think it might have a little timing advance, but when you add the muzzy you will feel big gains in the seat of the pants and I think you pick up about 4 seconds on 1/8 mile times, if you want a couple of more mph on the topend later you can do the clutch cap, you will be happy in the long run going this route once your wallet gets over the shell shock.

Big Daddy
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman55 View Post
Why do you want to change your exhaust ? Just drive the damn thing..
Its just a matter of what a guy wants, I just never could accept riding in the back of the pack, on a stock machine the muzzy will give you the biggest bolt on hp available, around 9-10 hp, but you could say the same thing about tires, wheels, seats, bumpers, whay do we change anything, just depends on what floats your boat, some of us are just crazy that way, I have spent way more on mods than I gave for my Teryx but when I get finished buying go fast parts it will be time to sell it and move on to the next project, maybe when I hit 80 mph I will be ready to move on to another one, thats all I have my Teryx for is a go faster project, I use my Rhino for the everday stuff like hunting and hauling wood and hauling grand kids my wife has told me that I was not putting her grand kids in that thing after I told her what I was doing to it, am I crazy, probally so but I don't think I am alone, Its just my hobby and I have had alot of them but I have not found one yet that was not expensive, heck my neighbor spent 45,000.00 on a boat , we both look like fools he just looks that way on water and I do it on land. Dang I love it though.

Big Daddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement