Belt broke!! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Belt broke!!

Over the weekend I went riding with some friends and lets just say I may have treated my T-rex a little harder than I should. After a long night of mud doughnuts, hillclimbing, and racing through tight trails my belt broke on the way back. I was going straight down the road and it just locked up. At least I think that is what happened. It made a squealing sound a time or two earlier in the night and I asume it stretched or burnt a bad place in it and just let go a little latter. The same thing happened to my buddies T-rex with just 22 hours on it. Mine has 40 hours. Is anybody else having problems with their belt??? Also wondering if upgrading to the extreme duty belt would be worthwhile, or if it would put more stress on the clutch? My local dealer said he has put the heavier belt on some four wheelers in the past and that the customers did not like them and that he thought they may cause premature clutch wear. He also said that most of his experience was with Yamaha products on this issue. Any additional information would be great. I also would be intrested in the Dalton clutch kit. I have a few buddies that have Razors and I need a little better launchability. I have put on the CDI box and it is better, but the Razors still take off a lot quicker.

P.S. I got the CDI from Hunterworks and although this is the only part I have bought from them, I received it the next day and they have excellent customer service!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 05:49 PM

Jeepnron, Todd at Hunterworks would be one of the best to advise you on the subject of belts. I believe he posted recently that he normally prefers OEM belts over aftermarket ones. Don't want to speak for him, but I'll bet he"ll chime in & help you decide.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 PM
CommanderTalk.com

I have heard that the consensus is the factory belts are the ones to go with. Let me ask you...on these hill climbs were you running in 'HI' gear or 'LOW'?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Low range only on the hills and in the mud! I am getting a little nervous about the belt system, this being two belts that I have seen break with such few hours on them. I will try and contact Hunterworks and see what he recomends. Anybody else break a belt yet?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM

dragonfire racing has a clutch kit that combined with a cdi and jet kit, make 10 hp more at the rear wheels. you might give them a try.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I have seen the clutch kit and I have the CDI box , but I am not only looking for more power, but reliability. I want to know if the heavier belt and clutch kit will produce a more bulletproof vehicle, or will it just run better and break more often? Either way I am intrested in hearing additional opinions and comments. Keep them comming!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 AM

I installed the EPI clutch kit on mine and had the cahnce to take it out over July 4th, I went on trails, through mud, water and not once did my belt ever give me a problem. I have the 27" tire clutch kit with elevation of under 3000. I highly recommend a clutch kit for these things.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 AM

I don't have enough experience with the Teryx clutch to make too many comments. I normally recommend the EPI belt though. I have heard the stock Kawi belt is good too. We have not had any issues I am aware of with the EPI belts.

On clutch kits I would recommend a Dalton for the Teryx. For my own reasons I don't recommend EPI kits.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the recomendations Todd. I will go ahead with the belt for now, but the clutch kit seems a little pricey for 3 springs and 4 or 5 weights. Maybe after the new wears off they will come down some. I know R&D can be expensive, but they cant have much in those parts. Just my .02 cents worth. Once again thanks for the input and I look forward to hearing more from everybody about their experiences with the Teryx.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Build Sponsor

we have a clutch kit that comes with an extreme duty belt, ...its holding up to 100hp rides that we have now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement