drive belt or something??? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

drive belt or something???

Hey guys, I got to say that I DID SOMETHING VERY STUPID this past weekend. I was on a hog hunt with my cousin. He has a chevy crew cab and pulls a 4 horse trailer behind it. Its 2wd and He got it stuck turning around. it was not stuck bad so we thought it just needed a toug. Well, I tried to pull it out and it did pull it a bit but I think I scrapped my belt. I put the 2010 Teryx with 25hrs in 4wd low and locked the front diff. It smoked just a bit but it did not spin any of the tires. it still drives but it has what seems to be some lost power and possibly a flat spot. You can hear a sound like something is hitting or is bouncing around in the primary cover. Maybe its part of the belt??? Also, the belt squeaks every time you take off not matter what driving conditions. I had to drive it around for a bit after that. Im pretty sure I have to replace the belt but do you think the extra driving hurt it? Anybody done anything like this? Am I right about the problem? any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM

Pretty obvious its the belt. Get a stock one or the EPI severe duty but no other belt.

You gonna need a clutch puller too.

Of course we have it all and free install videos to watch too

Todd

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
eez

I wouldnt ride it to far away from camp cuz if the belt breaks you'll be stranded, and its likely to break now.

09 monster, msd & muzzy std, dalton clutch kit and od plate (not installed yet), viper 4500 with synthetic rope, homemade alum. roof, homemade uhmw skids, homemade catch can, uni slip-on filter with billet adapter, 26.5 pitbull rockers on stock sport rims, hid's from sxs customs, oddyssey 925 with sandjunkies mount, motels full windshield, induced fab doors, 62 mph top speed on speedo

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:22 AM

My friend wanted to race me because he thought he had a solution that would help him to out run me. His solution was to hold the brake down while giving it gas (also called power braking) He power braked it to the max to long and it did the same thing to his belt and had to replace it. We were about 2 miles from camp but he did still drive it back on its own. It actually sounded like the bottom of the motor was coming appart but got lucky and only had to replace a belt.

09 teryx- msd ignition - water impellar - half windsheild - uni filter - standard muzzy - sdr rear bumper - hid lights - dalton clutch- water temp guage - ss108 14 inch with terra cross - dasa kebc block off plate - brake alarm buzzer - over drive plate -ssv works sound system -removable canvas top-odyssey battery- rock sliders
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Codyo - thats what mine sounded like. I replaced the belt last night and all is well. The worst part about the whole ordeal was that the belt hardly looked used. That scared the crap out of me because I thought I might have scrapped something else. The way this thing sounded I thought I was going to find a belt barely hanginng on with steel belts falling off of it and chunks of rubber in the primary. I had to really look for a bad spot on the belt. Fortunatly, the new install went well and I am running again. Thanks for the advice. Especially, a fello Mississippian, Todd at Hunterworks and parts guy Brian at Got Gear.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:24 PM

After I smoked mine just for about 1 second in some muskeg, it ran about 10 miles. It ran smooth, at least not much complaining. When it failed I was wfo, it went bang, and I rolled to a stop and could smell the belt. A few small pieces came out my snorkel & landed in the box. After trailering back to the shop I took it apart & the biggest piece was about 2 1/2" long. The belt really did explode. Should have taken a picture of that one. Oh well next time. Good idea to have one on hand.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 AM

I keep a spare with me at all times. When I smoke one I ride it till it breaks or won't move anymore. No sense pulling it apart prematurely. then again I always ride with a large group so towing isn't an issue. I also ride with my local Kawi dealer so repairs like that are usually pretty smooth. I put the 3gx belt on mine and it works good. I think it has a one year warranty on it. I am positive I will damage it before the warranty is up. I drive mine like I stole it. HAHAHA

Black 2010 Teryx 750EFI 4x4 ~ Probox top w/ sony head and speakers ~ Half windshield ~ HID light kit ~ in dash cup holders ~ 5000lb wide spool Viper Max winch ~ 30" Silverbacks ~ 14" SS212 (black) wheels ~ HL 3GX Drive belt ~ submarine snorkel kit ~ 2 Kicker cvt 10" subs and Kicker amp ~ Kawasaki Fender Flares ~ 3" Catvos Lift ~ EPI mudder clutch kit ~

Future adds ~ exhaust? ~ MSD? ~ power steering? ~
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandone View Post
I keep a spare with me at all times. When I smoke one I ride it till it breaks or won't move anymore. No sense pulling it apart prematurely. then again I always ride with a large group so towing isn't an issue. I also ride with my local Kawi dealer so repairs like that are usually pretty smooth. I put the 3gx belt on mine and it works good. I think it has a one year warranty on it. I am positive I will damage it before the warranty is up. I drive mine like I stole it. HAHAHA
Spare belt??...I have not done it, but seems a LOT of stuff has to come off to even get to it. And a clutch puller, you carry that too?

From what I've read you have to have a clutch puller to even adjust the belt. Seems they should have designed that so an adjustment that sooner or later has to be done isn't such a PITA.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
Spare belt??...I have not done it, but seems a LOT of stuff has to come off to even get to it. And a clutch puller, you carry that too?

From what I've read you have to have a clutch puller to even adjust the belt. Seems they should have designed that so an adjustment that sooner or later has to be done isn't such a PITA.
that is right.

Better to have a spare and the tools to do the whole thing if your going on a long trip away from home.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 AM

belt change

Just wondering I'm at about 1600km on my machine right now. I have not touched the clutches or shimes in any way. I do feel like I don't have the proper hook-up I used too. Over the time that I have owned the machine the clutches have gotten wet several times and the belt has slipped a bunch as well with some squeeling thrown in for good measure. I've heard and read some horror stories of shims being removed and starting a other issues with the clutches. I don't want to make things worse. I have reviewed Hunterworks video on belt deflection but do not own the tool. Where do I begin to review both the clutches, belt seating and a like. Do I need to replace the belt after a certain amount of Kms? Any help with this would be great.

"infected by the MAD KAW " Mudforce"

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
Mud Industries Snorkle with Armor tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement