Clutch puller blues - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Clutch puller blues

I had a bit of an issue with a local dealer here.

I bought my Teryx in March and didn't want to do any of my mods until the factory warranty had expired. I picked up a Clutch puller (from a local dealer <not my own>), just in case I needed to change a belt unexpectedly.

I had the clutch puller for about five months before I used it. I recently picked up a Dalton Clutch Kit and tried to pull off my primary to complete the mod.

I treaded in the puller and attempted to use a ratchet to pull the clutch. That didn't work, so I borrowed an Impact gun from work. I tried to pull the clutch off again, and it still wouldn't come off.

At first I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. So, I tried to remove the Clutch Puller. Now it was stuck in the hole, even after I threaded it out. I had to keep turning it to remove it.

Turns out that the Dealer sold me a puller for a Brute Force. It's about an inch shorter.

The puller I had didn't hit the end of the shaft. When I kept tightening it, I actually stripped some of the Aluminum from the collar inside the primary shaft and folded it up in front of the Puller bolt head.

Once I got the proper puller, the primary came off no problem. But now I couldn't get the clutch cover plate off. It was stuck onto the primary shaft because the shaft had been spread apart from the puller bolt.

So, this is where I was a little surprised. I took my Brute puller back to the dealer and they swapped it out for one for the Teryx... No questions asked.

When I found there was a problem with my Primary, I took it back to the dealer also. I told them that they were responsible for the problem as they provided me with the wrong puller. They actually agreed. I couldn't believe it.

They took my clutch, pulled the cover off and noticed the shaft was buggered. The inside sheave had to be changed. A cost of $266.00 plus labor. I thought for sure this would be my problem, but they fixed it for nothing.

I've had problems with the Sport Shop in Headingley before. They screwed me on some warranty work in September. But I was pretty impressed that they owned up to their mistake and fixed it at their own cost.

So, there are two morals to this story;

1)Don't take it for granted that the puller you bought is the right one, double check before you start. A lot of people think the Brute Force has the same clutch as the Teryx.

2)Not all "Big City" dealerships are evil all the time. Some do shine once in a while.

2010 Teryx LE,
MSD
Muzzy's Duel Exhaust
Dalton Clutch Kit
HW Overdrive Clutch Cover
Snorkeled
K&N Modded Air Filter
HID Light bar
Odyssey PC925 Battery
Black Rhino gauge Pod (Tach, volt, W Temp)
27" Zilla's
Muzzy 840, Stage II cams, 38mm throttle bodies,
324 injectors, Water impeller,
new stock crank, rods and barring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Thank you for posting. It is all too often we hear the Bad stories and the complaints, and very rare we hear the Good stories.

Sorry to hear what you had to go thru but glad everything turned out great and that you were happy with the final results.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Good to hear.

2009 Kawasaki Teryx Sport
FU2Chassis 4 Seat Cage
TripleX Industries Rear Bench Seat
KBrown Customs HID kit
DASA Impeller
Fiber Skinz

Safety is no accident

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfilion View Post
I had a bit of an issue with a local dealer here.

I bought my Teryx in March and didn't want to do any of my mods until the factory warranty had expired. I picked up a Clutch puller (from a local dealer <not my own>), just in case I needed to change a belt unexpectedly.

I had the clutch puller for about five months before I used it. I recently picked up a Dalton Clutch Kit and tried to pull off my primary to complete the mod.

I treaded in the puller and attempted to use a ratchet to pull the clutch. That didn't work, so I borrowed an Impact gun from work. I tried to pull the clutch off again, and it still wouldn't come off.

At first I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. So, I tried to remove the Clutch Puller. Now it was stuck in the hole, even after I threaded it out. I had to keep turning it to remove it.

Turns out that the Dealer sold me a puller for a Brute Force. It's about an inch shorter.

The puller I had didn't hit the end of the shaft. When I kept tightening it, I actually stripped some of the Aluminum from the collar inside the primary shaft and folded it up in front of the Puller bolt head.

Once I got the proper puller, the primary came off no problem. But now I couldn't get the clutch cover plate off. It was stuck onto the primary shaft because the shaft had been spread apart from the puller bolt.

So, this is where I was a little surprised. I took my Brute puller back to the dealer and they swapped it out for one for the Teryx... No questions asked.

When I found there was a problem with my Primary, I took it back to the dealer also. I told them that they were responsible for the problem as they provided me with the wrong puller. They actually agreed. I couldn't believe it.

They took my clutch, pulled the cover off and noticed the shaft was buggered. The inside sheave had to be changed. A cost of $266.00 plus labor. I thought for sure this would be my problem, but they fixed it for nothing.

I've had problems with the Sport Shop in Headingley before. They screwed me on some warranty work in September. But I was pretty impressed that they owned up to their mistake and fixed it at their own cost.

So, there are two morals to this story;

1)Don't take it for granted that the puller you bought is the right one, double check before you start. A lot of people think the Brute Force has the same clutch as the Teryx.

2)Not all "Big City" dealerships are evil all the time. Some do shine once in a while.

You wouldn't happen to have the part number for that correct puller would you? I've been eyeing up the ones for sale on Ebay. How much did it cost you at the dealership would it even be worth the hassle to get it online vs locally?
Other than the mess you mentioned how was it to pull the clutches for the first time. I have yet to go pull all that stuff apart. Kind of a job I've been dreading. VForceJohn mod is on the way for me I think.

"infected by the MAD KAW " Mudforce"

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
Mud Industries Snorkle with Armor tips
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzleweed View Post
You wouldn't happen to have the part number for that correct puller would you? I've been eyeing up the ones for sale on Ebay. How much did it cost you at the dealership would it even be worth the hassle to get it online vs locally?
Other than the mess you mentioned how was it to pull the clutches for the first time. I have yet to go pull all that stuff apart. Kind of a job I've been dreading. VForceJohn mod is on the way for me I think.
I'm not sure about the part #. The one I got from Headingley was an ITP, the puller doesn't have a # on it and I chucked the packaging already. I have a service manual, but it only references the Kawie part #. I think it cost about $50-$60 bucks.

It's probably just as easy to get it locally as online, IMO. Unless you've got someone at home to receive the delivery.

As for how was it, it was a snap when I got the right puller. It came off like a spent rubber.

Not sure what I think about the VForce mod. I'm really looking forward to the inaugural ride with the Dalton kit. The crappy thing is, I haven't ridden since November when I got my new Tires. I might not notice how much difference it made.

2010 Teryx LE,
MSD
Muzzy's Duel Exhaust
Dalton Clutch Kit
Snorkeled
K&N Modded Air Filter
HID Light bar
Odyssey PC925 Battery
27" Zilla's
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure about the part #. The one I got from Headingley was an ITP, the puller doesn't have a # on it and I chucked the packaging already. I have a service manual, but it only references the Kawie part #. I think it cost about $50-$60 bucks.

It's probably just as easy to get it locally as online, IMO. Unless you've got someone at home to receive the delivery.

As for how was it, it was a snap when I got the right puller. It came off like a spent rubber.

Not sure what I think about the VForce mod. I'm really looking forward to the inaugural ride with the Dalton kit. The crappy thing is, I haven't ridden since November when I got my new Tires. I might not notice how much difference it made.
I'm sure it will be great. Nice to have that in your backpocket when push comes to shove and your in a mudhole trying to turn those Zillas. Can't believe you haven't been on your machine since Nov. That's crazy talk. LOL I think when mine doesn't leave the garage for over a week I get stir crazy.
Going to pull the trigger on MSD or Muzzy this week. Also ordered the Mud industries snorkle kit. It should be at my door within the next couple of weeks. Come on Spring I miss the mud........

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Ya, I really can't believe I haven't been riding in four plus months. I'm hoping to get my dif cable thawed out and I'll be putt'n the miles on.

Happy to hear about the Mods, You'll be pretty happy with them. I'm curious about the Snorkel kit. You'll have to let me know what it's like when you get it. Keep me posted.

2010 Teryx LE,
MSD
Muzzy's Duel Exhaust
Dalton Clutch Kit
Snorkeled
K&N Modded Air Filter
HID Light bar
Odyssey PC925 Battery
27" Zilla's
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Ya, I really can't believe I haven't been riding in four plus months. I'm hoping to get my dif cable thawed out and I'll be putt'n the miles on.

Happy to hear about the Mods, You'll be pretty happy with them. I'm curious about the Snorkel kit. You'll have to let me know what it's like when you get it. Keep me posted.
Can do I'll post some pics on Trackshare when I get it put on. Leaning toward the muzzy anyway. Might as well tear the whole thing apart and put it all back together at the same time.

2010 Teryx
30 Mudzillas
Muzzy
MSD
Warn winch
Uni with Billet adapter
Dalton clutch kit
3" Gorilla lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement