Alignment issue - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alignment issue

I was driving my Rex tonight on the street on my way back from picking my boy up from a friends place. I noticed that my steering was pulling side to side. Left then right and keeps repeating. Any ideas on how to fix this, not so noticeable when in the dirt but on pavment it was very noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Could be caused by toe-in. Have you hit anything or made any suspension changes lately?

2010 Teryx
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Have not hit anything other then ruts. Might have done it when trailering my bike the last time. But I should be able to adjust this on my Rex right?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Toe is adjustable. Are your wheels and tires stock? I had a golf cart before the teryx that had 24x12 tires and having the wide front tires made it track funny on hard packed surfaces.

2010 Teryx
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 AM
eez

You can adjust toe-in using tie rods, the way i do it is 1) jack up front end, 2)straighten the steering wheel, 3) adjust tie rods by loosening lock nut then whole body turns freely this will toe wheel in/out. 4) adjust both sides til tires are angled in very slightly. 5) tighten lock nus back up. There is prolly a more scientific way but i just eyeball it.

09 monster, msd & muzzy std, dalton clutch kit and od plate (not installed yet), viper 4500 with synthetic rope, homemade alum. roof, homemade uhmw skids, homemade catch can, uni slip-on filter with billet adapter, 26.5 pitbull rockers on stock sport rims, hid's from sxs customs, oddyssey 925 with sandjunkies mount, motels full windshield, induced fab doors, 62 mph top speed on speedo
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM

My steering wheel was off from the factory by about an 1/8 turn. Just enough to annoy me.

On my race car I used toe plates and/or tire scibes for setting toe. I always liked 1/8" toe out. Toe in generally makes a car track straighter but scrubs speed and makes turning stiffer. Toe out can make a car wander but steering effort will be looser. You wont notice a huge difference unless you go over an 1/8th inch either way.

You could always make a el cheapo set of toe plates out of plywood. There are other ways to set toe but this is the easiest /cheapest way.
Here is a tech artical from Longacre racing products site. Longacre Racing Online -- Tech Article "Set Toe Properly"

Toe Plate Method: Toe plates offer fast and easy measurement of the front end alignment. When using toe plates be sure to have the toe plates resting flat on the ground and centered on the tire. You should always be sure to have the toe plates flat against the side wall. Make sure that the plate is up against the side wall evenly on both sides. Air up the tires so that there is not a bulge at the bottom of the tire in the center due to under inflation. Go the extra mile and mark the high spots of the side wall with chalk. Use a tape measure to check the back of the tire and the front between toe plates. The toe plate method should give you a smaller number at the back of the tire if you want to have toe out. Remember that any bent wheels or imperfections in the side wall will affect your settings.

Here is another artical on toe.http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=5
Toe Simplified

Toe is the pointing in or pointing out of the front wheels as viewed from the top of the car. If the front wheels point in, toward the engine, at the front edge of the wheels then you have toe in. If the front wheels point out at the front edge then you have toe out.
In general, racecars are set with a small amount of toe out. The toe out provides directional stability. Toe out pulls on the tie rods taking out the tiny clearances that are built into the tie rod ends. Depending on the type of car typical toe readings are 1/16" to ¼" out for tracks under ½ mile in length.

Toe should be checked often as any contact with other cars or retaining walls is likely to change your toe setting. Changes in ride height can have an effect on toe as well.

Toe can be set with a pair of toe plates that are rested on the sidewalls of the tires. A tape is placed on the toe plates in front of the tire and an additional tape behind the tire. When using toe plates a smaller tape reading on the back tape indicates toe out.

For a very precise reading you can scribe a line in each front tire. Use a tire scribe and spin each of the front tires to get your straight line. You can then measure between the two scribed lines with a tape measure or with a toe bar. As with toe plates, a smaller measurement at the backside of the tire indicates toe out.

Some racers use a toe bar to measure the toe that lies against the sidewall on one side of the racecar. On the other side, this toe bar extends past the sidewall by a few inches. A tape is used to measure from the toe bar back to the sidewall. When this system is used a smaller tape reading at the front of the tire indicates toe out. You will notice that this is opposite the two other methods described above.

Last edited by T-Wrecks; 03-13-2011 at 11:43 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM
eez

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Wrecks View Post
My steering wheel was off from the factory by about an 1/8 turn. Just enough to annoy me.

On my race car I used toe plates and/or tire scibes for setting toe. I always liked 1/8" toe out. Toe in generally makes a car track straighter but scrubs speed and makes turning stiffer. Toe out can make a car wander but steering effort will be looser. You wont notice a huge difference unless you go over an 1/8th inch either way.

You could always make a el cheapo set of toe plates out of plywood. There are other ways to set toe but this is the easiest /cheapest way.
Here is a tech artical from Longacre racing products site. Longacre Racing Online -- Tech Article "Set Toe Properly"

Toe Plate Method: Toe plates offer fast and easy measurement of the front end alignment. When using toe plates be sure to have the toe plates resting flat on the ground and centered on the tire. You should always be sure to have the toe plates flat against the side wall. Make sure that the plate is up against the side wall evenly on both sides. Air up the tires so that there is not a bulge at the bottom of the tire in the center due to under inflation. Go the extra mile and mark the high spots of the side wall with chalk. Use a tape measure to check the back of the tire and the front between toe plates. The toe plate method should give you a smaller number at the back of the tire if you want to have toe out. Remember that any bent wheels or imperfections in the side wall will affect your settings.

Here is another artical on toe.Longacre Racing Online -- Tech Article "Toe Simplified"
Toe Simplified

Toe is the pointing in or pointing out of the front wheels as viewed from the top of the car. If the front wheels point in, toward the engine, at the front edge of the wheels then you have toe in. If the front wheels point out at the front edge then you have toe out.
In general, racecars are set with a small amount of toe out. The toe out provides directional stability. Toe out pulls on the tie rods taking out the tiny clearances that are built into the tie rod ends. Depending on the type of car typical toe readings are 1/16" to ¼" out for tracks under ½ mile in length.

Toe should be checked often as any contact with other cars or retaining walls is likely to change your toe setting. Changes in ride height can have an effect on toe as well.

Toe can be set with a pair of toe plates that are rested on the sidewalls of the tires. A tape is placed on the toe plates in front of the tire and an additional tape behind the tire. When using toe plates a smaller tape reading on the back tape indicates toe out.

For a very precise reading you can scribe a line in each front tire. Use a tire scribe and spin each of the front tires to get your straight line. You can then measure between the two scribed lines with a tape measure or with a toe bar. As with toe plates, a smaller measurement at the backside of the tire indicates toe out.

Some racers use a toe bar to measure the toe that lies against the sidewall on one side of the racecar. On the other side, this toe bar extends past the sidewall by a few inches. A tape is used to measure from the toe bar back to the sidewall. When this system is used a smaller tape reading at the front of the tire indicates toe out. You will notice that this is opposite the two other methods described above.
Thnx for the info, always wondered about that.

09 monster, msd & muzzy std, dalton clutch kit and od plate (not installed yet), viper 4500 with synthetic rope, homemade alum. roof, homemade uhmw skids, homemade catch can, uni slip-on filter with billet adapter, 26.5 pitbull rockers on stock sport rims, hid's from sxs customs, oddyssey 925 with sandjunkies mount, motels full windshield, induced fab doors, 62 mph top speed on speedo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement