Does anyone Know where you can get good price on cage - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone Know where you can get good price on cage

Was wondering if anyone new any places near nor cal where you can get a good cage built. there is a guy in az who builds some sick four seater cages for 500 dollars.. If anyone knows let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 AM

Merlin motor sports,contact merlin or kywildcat
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 PM

500 sounds real cheap, the chromoly or d.o.m. tubing is not cheap and the time to cut bend and weld, not to mention having a nice jig so they will fit, and if you buy a 500 cage get it raw so you can inspect all the welds, and ask what material it is made with and the gage, just be careful safety is no joke (but the stock cage is)!!!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 PM

Ditto, my buddy has or I should say had a real nice looking four seat cage on his Rhino. Two weeks ago we went out and were climbing up a mild rock section. He took a bad line and tipped it over onto the Driverside from basically a stop. It taco'd the driverside A-piller. His cage was built out of mild steel. Now he has a cage with a huge kink in the A-piller and has to spend more money to get a new cage built. At a minimum get DOM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Material is very important but also the design or consruction layout is also critical, bends and gusset location is very important, what I am trying to say is that type of material and construction can compensate for each other but both are critical, but I will say that labor alone can cost 500.00, a well built neat cage out of good material will be a stretch to find for 500.00, I don't think a person could build them fast enough to fill orders at that price, most quality cages built for resale will cost aleast twice that.

Big Daddy

Last edited by bigdaddy; 06-06-2011 at 10:53 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 AM

I go against the grain from what most people will tell you. Your frame that the cage bolts to is not DOM or 4130 yup thats right folks it mild steel. Plus after a roll why would you wan to test your luck again with the same cage? Mild steel is cheaper and works just fine on a properly built cage.

This is mine after a crazy front roll followed by several side rolls at about 55 mph. If it was a 4130 cage bolted to the stock cage locations I can honestly say I feel like it would have just ripped off the frame. If your building a full cage down to the main frame rails then ya by all means use 4130 other wise I say quit letting the story's about a poorly built cage scare you from mild steel.

My Friends and Sponsors.
http://www.vinylanywhere.com
http://www.collierscustoms.com
http://www.dugfab.com
http://www.discounttiredirect.com
Last Race of the season this October 23rd Wendover Rewound 300.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 PM

I won't argue with that, I have been building and fabricating my entire life and most things that I build is out of mild steel, I agree that a cage built right out of mild steel with the proper supports and gussets and to handle the stress points can withstand all that the stock cage mounting points can handle.

Big Daddy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
I won't argue with that, I have been building and fabricating my entire life and most things that I build is out of mild steel, I agree that a cage built right out of mild steel with the proper supports and gussets and to handle the stress points can withstand all that the stock cage mounting points can handle.
1 3/4 .095 is plenty strong enough.. Do you know how many race cars and drag cars that are much heavier and faster have been made out of this stuff.. No roll cage is indestructable. If you roll one like Deviant Illussion you going to damage it no matter if it is DOM or what ever. Also , $500 is insane. Do you realize how much labor is involved in a cage? Not counting material and skill?? I would be looking at about more like a grand for a good four seater cage and that would be a good price. The problem your going to run into is shipping that will add another $250-$500 to the overall price. That is why we began building them in the KY,TN, IN area for local tri-state guys that wont have to pay shipping. They can drop there bike off and pick it up finished.

Merlin Motorsports custom Teryx
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 PM

For me I think of it as the old saying its only as strong as the weakest link. You want your cage to keep you safe but also be able to absorb some energy from the impact. Ya if you build a cage that spans a piller to b piller with no triangulation the shit wont work. But with cross points x's and triangles it spreads the impact. 1.75" mild is around $2' in my area. 140' for a 4 seat cage $70 for bungs and say $30 in shop consumables. So roughly $380 in material for a mild steel cage. X2 for don and x2.5 for 4130. If someone wants to build a cage for $140 labor they must be independently wealthy and have alot of free time. Even garage fabbers should be charging $30/hr so if they can do it un under 5 hours start to finish they are Damn good or cutting corners. And if they are Damn good they charge more then $30/hr

My Friends and Sponsors.
http://www.vinylanywhere.com
http://www.collierscustoms.com
http://www.dugfab.com
http://www.discounttiredirect.com
Last Race of the season this October 23rd Wendover Rewound 300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement