Dumb Mistake - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question Dumb Mistake

So i made a dumb mistake, and let some friends we were camping with take the Teryx for a spin (dumb...I know but I am trying to get them hooked) and they left the park brake on.

Now when i try hit the beast's park brake, it goes almost to the floor before it engages. And then it barely holds on.

What do i need to do to fix it?

Is it associated with the front, or rear brakes?
Is there an adjustment cable?

Thanks,

PowerTrip
Utah

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Faster and faster till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death !

2008 TERYX
FST Standard Bore kit w/ Stage III cams
Vent Racing Clutch kit w/ Billet Hat
Hunterworks Carb kit
DWT Doonz Paddles on Quatro's
Element Cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
CommanderTalk.com

My friend, I am not a mechanic, however, I have heard of this happening before. Your rear sealed wet brake is toast. You will need to have it replaced.

Sorry for the bad news...that brake is kinda out of site our of mind...I know I have forgot a few times, but never drove with it on. I am now in the habit of just pulling the lever as soon as I get in.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Angry

AWE DAM.....

It is the Wet Brake?

That sucks.

Is that a do it yourself type job?

Any input anyone has would be great!

PowerTrip
Utah

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Faster and faster till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death !

2008 TERYX
FST Standard Bore kit w/ Stage III cams
Vent Racing Clutch kit w/ Billet Hat
Hunterworks Carb kit
DWT Doonz Paddles on Quatro's
Element Cage

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
CommanderTalk.com

I do not know how complex the job is to replace that wet brake.

Do you have access to a service manual?

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 PM

The first Teryx I drove was a test drive at the dealers. I was unhappy it did not preform better. At the end of the 'test'...discovered the emergency brake was on. I wonder who they sold that Teryx to?

I've been thinking of a light...a bright one....dead center in front of the steering wheel, since it's far to easy to leave it on. Just not sure how to hook up.

Somebody come up with the details on how to make that worth. I'm not smart enough. I think it would be a very worthwhile mod.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 PM

just put a cover over the gear shifter that says"TURN OFF THE PARKING BRAKE",then when they turn it off they can flip the cover over and go to town!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
CommanderTalk.com

While yes these ideas can help in the future, problem right now is that he has a rear brake that is burned up. My friend, all you can do at this point is ask your friends, how good of friends are they

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 PM

good idea jcummins - I think the factory should make it so you can't shift out of N without releasing the parking brake. Rhino's are really bad for leaving the brakes on, with that tiny knob for a E-brake.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 PM
CommanderTalk.com

What would be nice is if they made it like a golf cart. Once you step on the gas, the e-brake automatically releases.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 PM

While it may be likely that the brake is "toast", maybe it's not. The cable adjustment is really easy to make, if your parking brake pushes all the way to the firewall.

Standing on the driver's side, tilt the bed backwards. With your left foot, push down the parking brake while looking under the bed and you will see what moves (I am tall). There is a thumbscrew adjustment to shorten the cable and it's easy to make once you've found it. I suggest you try it before replacing the wet brake entirely. You have my sympathy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement