Throttle stuck, hit a fence! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Throttle stuck, hit a fence!

Hey all! I'm pretty angry right about now, but I just came in from outside. I was using my nearly brand new Teryx to move some rocks from my front yard to a hole I was dumping them in, I decided I'd take it for a ride around the perimeter of our field, I headed out there, and came across about 9 turkeys, so I obviously chased them into the woods. HAHA.

Anyway, I turned around and headed back towards the barn to put 'er up, I was tooling across the field, about 25 mph or so, not back because this is our hay field. Well there are some dips in it, and when I hit one, the throttle PINNED right where it was, I didn't really notice it at first because I was still tooling across the field. Well when I went to turn towards the barn it was all too apparent. I released the brakes and stood on the brakes to no avail, then when I was about 25 feet away from the fence, I threw it into Neutral, hoping it'd stop the forward movement and I could slow down. NOPE... So i hit the fence still cruising around 25. Still running and jumping I shut the motor off all together. Now it's down there and wont start. I'm super pissed.

I am going to call the dealership tomorrow and see what the deal is, I don't know how much fight they'll give me but I'm going to try to get them to replace anything in the front that got messed up. I know I sound like a 13 year old girl on her first four wheeler, but seriously the throttle was almost firewalled and wouldn't stop. There is no way I should have to pay to fix something because of something mechanical happening.

What is everyone's opinions? Anyone ever heard of this happening before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Hey all! I'm pretty angry right about now, but I just came in from outside. I was using my nearly brand new Teryx to move some rocks from my front yard to a hole I was dumping them in, I decided I'd take it for a ride around the perimeter of our field, I headed out there, and came across about 9 turkeys, so I obviously chased them into the woods. HAHA.

Anyway, I turned around and headed back towards the barn to put 'er up, I was tooling across the field, about 25 mph or so, not back because this is our hay field. Well there are some dips in it, and when I hit one, the throttle PINNED right where it was, I didn't really notice it at first because I was still tooling across the field. Well when I went to turn towards the barn it was all too apparent. I released the brakes and stood on the brakes to no avail, then when I was about 25 feet away from the fence, I threw it into Neutral, hoping it'd stop the forward movement and I could slow down. NOPE... So i hit the fence still cruising around 25. Still running and jumping I shut the motor off all together. Now it's down there and wont start. I'm super pissed.

I am going to call the dealership tomorrow and see what the deal is, I don't know how much fight they'll give me but I'm going to try to get them to replace anything in the front that got messed up. I know I sound like a 13 year old girl on her first four wheeler, but seriously the throttle was almost firewalled and wouldn't stop. There is no way I should have to pay to fix something because of something mechanical happening.

What is everyone's opinions? Anyone ever heard of this happening before?
Since you asked for opinions I'll give you mine. Whether its a Teryx, Audi or Toyota, stuck throttles have been shown to be about 99% driver error. I've been on all the Teryxforums for about 3 years now and I haven't heard one complaint about anyone's throttle getting stuck. People complain about the size and location of the Teryx throttle, but never it getting stuck.

2009 Kawasaki Teryx Sport
FU2Chassis 4 Seat Cage
TripleX Industries Rear Bench Seat
KBrown Customs HID kit
DASA Impeller
Fiber Skinz

Safety is no accident
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

The only thing that could have been driver error would be hitting a small dip in the hay field, after that, this particular driver did everything possible to not hit the fence. Like I said which included standing on the brake, which did nothing, it didn't even surge then it just slowed down maybe 2 mph, then throwing it into neutral didn't work either, once it hit the fence, the tires were still moving, and the Teryx was at about half throttle until I finally hit the ignition switch to turn it off. I wish I'd have had time to do that when it wouldn't stop. Now it's up against the fence, still won't start and I can't get it to come out of gear to go into neutral to start....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Your is the first since 2008 I have heard of.
Hope no one got hurt.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM
eez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
The only thing that could have been driver error would be hitting a small dip in the hay field, after that, this particular driver did everything possible to not hit the fence. Like I said which included standing on the brake, which did nothing, it didn't even surge then it just slowed down maybe 2 mph, then throwing it into neutral didn't work either, once it hit the fence, the tires were still moving, and the Teryx was at about half throttle until I finally hit the ignition switch to turn it off. I wish I'd have had time to do that when it wouldn't stop. Now it's up against the fence, still won't start and I can't get it to come out of gear to go into neutral to start....
If u hold the brake down it will start in gear, sounds like shift linkage may have tweaked a lil do to the crash but that is really easy to adjust, just do a search, anyways, hate to sound like a dick but u should post a pic of the carnage

09 monster, msd & muzzy std, dalton clutch kit and od plate (not installed yet), viper 4500 with synthetic rope, homemade alum. roof, homemade uhmw skids, homemade catch can, uni slip-on filter with billet adapter, 26.5 pitbull rockers on stock sport rims, hid's from sxs customs, oddyssey 925 with sandjunkies mount, motels full windshield, induced fab doors, 62 mph top speed on speedo
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

I got it to start, it was still running at high rpm, once I got it loaded on my trailer it started normally at normal rpm. I was able to recreate the throttle issue by simply tucking the throttle cable aft of where it normally sits, like back in the transmission tunnel.

There really is no carnage, it put a few scuffs on my BRAND new lime green plastics, but not much else. Sorry!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:48 PM

I have had my throttle stick on me, but only because it was frozen. Lots of water riding in summer eqauls lots of cable lubing in the winter. Other than that I have never had an issue with the throttle except that I can't ever push it further than wide open.

2012 VIBRANT Blue Teryx 4, Muzzy pro's, ECU reflash, custom cage & roof, windshield, 14" STI HD Beadlocks & 32x10x14 STI Roctane's/Tatou 4S Tracks, Rigid Lights, Custom bumpers, Warn XT4000 winches front & rear, bedlift

2010 black, FST 840 stage II cams, DASA intake & injectors, BF throttle bodies, Msd, Muzzy Pro`s, Snorkeled, Warn XT 4000, EMP, 2 seat race cage, Custom rear Radiator, Unisteer, STI HD beadlocks and 30x10x14 EFX motoclaws
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesZ400 View Post
Since you asked for opinions I'll give you mine. Whether its a Teryx, Audi or Toyota, stuck throttles have been shown to be about 99% driver error. I've been on all the Teryxforums for about 3 years now and I haven't heard one complaint about anyone's throttle getting stuck. People complain about the size and location of the Teryx throttle, but never it getting stuck.
The throttle spring came loose on my 08 Teryx and it went to full throttle. I turned the key off, stopped then used a pair o needle nose pliers to fix it and it never happened again.

If you ever need to for sure stop immediately, turn off the key.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement