popping noise in drive train - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

popping noise in drive train

I took my 2008 teryx to the deer woods yesterday. when I would start up a hill in low gear it would pop real loud occasionally. (Sounded like the drive train it wasnt engine related) and you would feel a little hesitation. When I got home I noticed that when you moved the shift lever slowly into the low gear position it felt like it was barely moving far enough to get in gear. I shortened the linkage to make it pull a little farther in gear. I don't have any hills around close to see if that took care of the problem. Does it sound like that was the problem or am i on the wrong track. Thanks for the help. This forum is great by the way. It is nice to have a place to get some good advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex T View Post
I took my 2008 teryx to the deer woods yesterday. when I would start up a hill in low gear it would pop real loud occasionally. (Sounded like the drive train it wasnt engine related) and you would feel a little hesitation. When I got home I noticed that when you moved the shift lever slowly into the low gear position it felt like it was barely moving far enough to get in gear. I shortened the linkage to make it pull a little farther in gear. I don't have any hills around close to see if that took care of the problem. Does it sound like that was the problem or am i on the wrong track. Thanks for the help. This forum is great by the way. It is nice to have a place to get some good advice
I recently, repaired two engines with broken tranny gears and these were the symptoms. Bad news was on one of them some of the broken parts got down in the bevel gears and chewed them up

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

what kind of cost am I looking at to have it repaired if that is the case

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex T View Post
what kind of cost am I looking at to have it repaired if that is the case
You don't want to know cause it would be silly to pull the engine and do nothing but fix broke parts. If you going in there are just some things you really need to do. Can be anywhere from $1800 to a little over $4000 depending on what is wrong and what you do while you have it open.

Also you not gonna know the extent of it until you split the case.

We do offer a service where you can ship your engine to us and we fix it then ship it back out.

Why do this? Because 95% of Kawi dealers either don't know what they are doing or do crappy work and if you gonna spend some serious dough might as well be fixed right and reassembled right.

I just got thru going behind a known builder and I had to rebuild it because of his work. It just cost too much to chance

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Tres T mine made the same kind of noise you described and it was just a shifter adjustment. I would be on flat ground in low and when i would hit the gas hard up to abount 25 mph and then let it go back to 0 mph on its own, it would make a popping sound when it went from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 0 mph. It was basically just not fully in low range as if it was just have way in gear.

09 teryx- msd ignition - water impellar - half windsheild - uni filter - standard muzzy - sdr rear bumper - hid lights - dalton clutch- water temp guage - ss108 14 inch with terra cross - dasa kebc block off plate - brake alarm buzzer - over drive plate -ssv works sound system -removable canvas top-odyssey battery- rock sliders
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I adjusted the linkage but have not been able to try it yet. I will be going out sat. and will see what happens. Got my fingers crossed
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 AM

What happens I think happens in the broken ones is it was out of adjustment, it makes noise and wears the parts then it pops out from wear then breaks the parts. The bad part is if some of the parts break and get down in the bevel gears and chew them up.

My advice is if adjustment does not fix it and it is still popping out then you better just stop and open it up before it causes more damage

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 AM

Popping

Sorry to resurect the old but i'm having a similar issue. When shifting to Low its pretty tight and really have to push it up into gear. High goes in easy as well as Rev. There is a popping in the rear that i assumed was a u joint going out because its only made the noise when less than 5 mph or so and always in Low. you can feel it when it pops as well. How do i adjust the shift linkage and are the u joints greaseable? Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Mine was making the same noise,and finally my ring and pinon gave way. Lucky it did no major damage with lose metal in the engine. Took it out carried it to Todd. While it was there had him go ahead and do the valve upgrade,along with the standered bore,clutch and jets. Since then this things runs like a beast!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 AM

Thanks for dragging this old thread up. Last trip out my 08 started popping out of low range briefly, sounded like big rocks being thrown against the floor boards. Adjusted that shift linkage and now that popping has stopped, it shifts much smoother also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement