Oil Consumption problem - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oil Consumption problem

I have a 2010 teryx with 1000 miles on it. After riding for a day (about 30 - 40 miles) I check the oil and it is usually down by a 1/2 qt., it doesn't look as if it is burning oil and it is not leaking it out either. Last week after stopping on the trail, we started off and I punched it. I went about 50 feet and the blue smoke poured out so bad that everyone stopped because they thought I was on fire. I shut it off, and let the smoke clear the area, when I restarted it, the blue smoke poured out for about 2 minutes and I could see oil spots on the ground from the exhaust. It didn't knock so I knew the rings and bearings are OK. This week I took off the foam air filter to clean it and it was pretty dirty from the dusty riding over the weekend. The air duct assembly had a very heavy coat of oil. I pulled everything off down to the intake and cleaned out the oil. I always check the oil after we ride and keep it at the full mark. I called my dealer and asked him if Kawasaki had come up with anything to rectify the oil suction problem. He called Kawasaki and they told him they were not aware of any suction problem,( I guess they don't read the forum). He told me to bring it in and they would run test on it.
My question is: Will a dirty air filter cause the engine to suck up more oil than usual into the air duct assembly, because of the air restriction in the filter. And if I were to change my air filter what after market brand are other owners running and not having any problems with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I have a 2010 teryx with 1000 miles on it. After riding for a day (about 30 - 40 miles) I check the oil and it is usually down by a 1/2 qt., it doesn't look as if it is burning oil and it is not leaking it out either. Last week after stopping on the trail, we started off and I punched it. I went about 50 feet and the blue smoke poured out so bad that everyone stopped because they thought I was on fire. I shut it off, and let the smoke clear the area, when I restarted it, the blue smoke poured out for about 2 minutes and I could see oil spots on the ground from the exhaust. It didn't knock so I knew the rings and bearings are OK. This week I took off the foam air filter to clean it and it was pretty dirty from the dusty riding over the weekend. The air duct assembly had a very heavy coat of oil. I pulled everything off down to the intake and cleaned out the oil. I always check the oil after we ride and keep it at the full mark. I called my dealer and asked him if Kawasaki had come up with anything to rectify the oil suction problem. He called Kawasaki and they told him they were not aware of any suction problem,( I guess they don't read the forum). He told me to bring it in and they would run test on it.
My question is: Will a dirty air filter cause the engine to suck up more oil than usual into the air duct assembly, because of the air restriction in the filter. And if I were to change my air filter what after market brand are other owners running and not having any problems with?
More then likly you had to much oil in it and it came up into air cleaner through the crank breather.Guys on here sale a siphon break for this reason.been there done that.When you check your oil make sure you screw the dip stick all the way in to check it!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

The dealer asked me how I check the oil, because Kawasaki said that I probably had too much oil in it. I tighten the dipstick in to check the oil, but I always keep it up to the full mark.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:06 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It is common if oil was topped up all the way on the dip stick.
Drop the oil down a bit (but still on dipstick) or run a catch can or other system that allows the oil to pressure out and drain back in.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 PM

Rocky,

MAybe I can shed some light on this for you. BTW, yes a dirty filter will make it suck oil thru the breather tube easier.

These V-Twins are just known for pushing oil thru the breather tubes and getting into the intake. Kawi made a attempt with a catch can on side of the plenum but it is not perfect.

There are several ways to stop this but we have what we call a STOP Kit and it is now in version three form and that is the final form. I have stopped the most stubborn of oil in plenum issues with the latest version. No drilling or gluing etc, installs in just a few minutes.

AS for your smoke out, you didn't hurt anything and the oil will drain back. Best bet is to slow down and continue to run it.

I don't like running the oil low to stop the issue. Get the stop kit and run your oil where it should be.

Todd

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate all the good help!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 AM

Rocky you will love this forum and get more honest hands-on infor than any dealer i have ever heard of.

09 teryx- msd ignition - water impellar - half windsheild - uni filter - standard muzzy - sdr rear bumper - hid lights - dalton clutch- water temp guage - ss108 14 inch with terra cross - dasa kebc block off plate - brake alarm buzzer - over drive plate -ssv works sound system -removable canvas top-odyssey battery- rock sliders
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I ordered the oil stop kit from Todd at Hunterworks. I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Thanks everyone, I ordered the oil stop kit from Todd at Hunterworks. I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens.
No trying it works!! LOL

Thanks for the order!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement