Teryx HQ banner

Oil Consumption problem

19K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mainstream motors 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 teryx with 1000 miles on it. After riding for a day (about 30 - 40 miles) I check the oil and it is usually down by a 1/2 qt., it doesn't look as if it is burning oil and it is not leaking it out either. Last week after stopping on the trail, we started off and I punched it. I went about 50 feet and the blue smoke poured out so bad that everyone stopped because they thought I was on fire. I shut it off, and let the smoke clear the area, when I restarted it, the blue smoke poured out for about 2 minutes and I could see oil spots on the ground from the exhaust. It didn't knock so I knew the rings and bearings are OK. This week I took off the foam air filter to clean it and it was pretty dirty from the dusty riding over the weekend. The air duct assembly had a very heavy coat of oil. I pulled everything off down to the intake and cleaned out the oil. I always check the oil after we ride and keep it at the full mark. I called my dealer and asked him if Kawasaki had come up with anything to rectify the oil suction problem. He called Kawasaki and they told him they were not aware of any suction problem,( I guess they don't read the forum). He told me to bring it in and they would run test on it.
My question is: Will a dirty air filter cause the engine to suck up more oil than usual into the air duct assembly, because of the air restriction in the filter. And if I were to change my air filter what after market brand are other owners running and not having any problems with?

See less See more
#5 ·
Rocky,

MAybe I can shed some light on this for you. BTW, yes a dirty filter will make it suck oil thru the breather tube easier.

These V-Twins are just known for pushing oil thru the breather tubes and getting into the intake. Kawi made a attempt with a catch can on side of the plenum but it is not perfect.

There are several ways to stop this but we have what we call a STOP Kit and it is now in version three form and that is the final form. I have stopped the most stubborn of oil in plenum issues with the latest version. No drilling or gluing etc, installs in just a few minutes.

AS for your smoke out, you didn't hurt anything and the oil will drain back. Best bet is to slow down and continue to run it.

I don't like running the oil low to stop the issue. Get the stop kit and run your oil where it should be.

Todd

#10 ·
Todd,
I have a 2008 Teryx that just started blowing smoke after today's ride.
Just changed the oil and had it a bit above full.
Did a quick search and seen that you offer a STOP Kit that resolves the oil overflow problem.

Can you send me a link and price so I can get one ordered up?

Thanks!

ps. Tried sending you a pm but your message limit is full.

#7 ·
Rocky you will love this forum and get more honest hands-on infor than any dealer i have ever heard of.