Help Build for the Rubicon - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Help Build for the Rubicon

I have a new 2010 Teryx that I am installing a rear roll cage and bench in for the family. I am an experienced off roader with Jeeps and ATVs but this is my first UTV. I need to make sure that I can take an adult passenger and two kids in the back on trails like the Rubicon, which I will be doing labor day weekend.

Being a total UTV newbie, coming from a Jeep background, what mods beyond the rear cage and bench would you all make to prepare this rig for finishing a trail like this? I am wondering what mods would need to be done and in what order? Which mods would be required vs. just nice to have? Etc...

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Hi there, well first off, some sort of harness system in the back for the kids.

Something else to keep in mind is that the vehicle is not made to carry passengers in the back, therefore, be prepared for some front end push.

Something else to consider, teach those in back what they should do should you ever roll, obviously the first thing people will do is put their arms up...train them to cross their arms and hold onto their harness.

Can I assume the adult passenger will be in the passenger seat and then two kids in the back?

Finally, you may want to experiment with your rear suspension depending on the weight that will be back there.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes, a harness system is part of the bench and I had read about teaching the passengers how to react in a rollever. We'll be going over that for sure on our first outing this next week.

By suspension, do you mean lift, long travel or just higher quality shocks?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Well obviously a long travel will give you more stability, but I was actually referring to the sag in the back...you may want to preload the springs some, or even go with a higher quality spring.

Weight in the back really affects the front end when it comes to steering...you will notice it even more when you are trying to maneuver slowly, the front end will not want to turn, just push, which can cause problems on technical tight turns.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have side nets in back, 5 point harnesses and removable seats for my 4 seater. I went with Twisted stitch for the nets and seats. Induced Fab made them easily removable.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 PM

I have a 4 seat Trex and with people in the back it sucks pretty bad. I have taken the back seat out and mainly just haul the dogs anymore. For something like the Rubicon you will need to stiffen up the rear springs. How are you planning on carrying all of the rest of your stuff like camping gear and extra gas. I would love to hear about the trip this is something I have wanted to do for a long time and with any luck will get to someday.

Too much is neverenough
2003 duramax dually for towing
2004 Gearbox toyhauler 30fs
2006 limited yfz 450 mine
2003 Pred 500 wifes
1986 4trax 250R sons
1997 300ex daughter
2006 250ex daughter
2008 Teryx ours
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

There is a jeep in our group that will have extra equipment and fuel. The rear will be loaded up with two elementary school age kids. If it sucks too bad, I may have to save up for the Teryx4
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM

I have a 4 seat cage with twisted stitch rear bench. I ride with my 3 kids (ages 7,5,3) in the back and it's fine.

2010 Teryx
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM

My buddy had the same set up but we found on hill climbs that it made the front end pretty light because the rear seat sits on top of the box so center of gravity is higher especially if you had an adult in the back. He went to the dark side and bought a RZR4. I put in the SDR Cage that you remove the box and the seat is about 8 inches lower than my buddies that kept the box.

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
My buddy had the same set up but we found on hill climbs that it made the front end pretty light because the rear seat sits on top of the box so center of gravity is higher especially if you had an adult in the back. He went to the dark side and bought a RZR4. I put in the SDR Cage that you remove the box and the seat is about 8 inches lower than my buddies that kept the box.
Not sure if you were saying setup as mine? Can't be though. My utvinc radius 4 seat cage doesn't have the rear bench on "top of the box". My cage has bars welded to the roll cage that drop down into the bottom of the bed and the rear bench bolts to that. Rear bench does not bolt to the box. You cant get the bench much lower than mine unless you cut the frame that supports the box. Going to do a bed delete (the ones that still look like a bed) which drops about 75lbs or so I've read. I wouldn't put an adult in the back but I fit back there fine.

2010 Teryx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement