Need some advice - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Need some advice

My History. This 2008 Teryx used as a farm/ranch utility vehicle. Speed not a big thing for me…grunt is. Bought new. Put Hunterworks carb kit in and added Dynatek non programmable CDI. Had a mid range miss that I tolerated for quite awhile with this setup. Tried several things to fix, finally came to the conclusion it was spark related and refused to buy the hot coils that Dynatek wants to sell to me to fix the problem with their cdi. In all fairness I think the Teryx’s spark in stock form is very marginal. Anyway put the stock cdi back on….and use that way ever since. About two years ago cold start problems showed up, valves tightened up, I adjusted, and it fixed that, and still starts great. That mid range miss though, I started noticing more lately even with stock cdi.

Two weeks ago, an off/on very pronounced miss started showing…much more pronounce than the mid range miss which was an annoyance, this miss very noticeable, then gone. Give the impression spark related. Got bad enough that the miss seemed solid, so I pulled the plugs checked spark, and the spark seemed ok. The rear plug looked darker, and it looks like the miss was in that cylinder. Put plugs back in…started up, miss gone. ??? I put some Seafoam in the gas tank. Went back to using it. No problems until today. Now the miss is back and blue smoke from the exhaust. That crankcase breather tube, dumps to the ground on my Teryx, and the hole in the carbs where it’s suppose to go is plugged, and has been since I adjusted the valves. Not a trace of oil anywhere where it should not be. So…I drove to end of driveway, it was surging…running right then wrong…felt like spark, then it died. Let it sit for awhile, went back and it started with a ‘slight’ miss…I saw no smoke, managed to drive it back to the barn.

Checked oil…right where it’s suppose to be. So….I got a off/on very pronounced miss with smoke, classic crankcase breather issue, but it’s been disconnect for years. And it ‘feels’ spark related, but where is the blue smoke coming from?. Not sure where to go from here. Looking for advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
My History. This 2008 Teryx used as a farm/ranch utility vehicle. Speed not a big thing for me…grunt is. Bought new. Put Hunterworks carb kit in and added Dynatek non programmable CDI. Had a mid range miss that I tolerated for quite awhile with this setup. Tried several things to fix, finally came to the conclusion it was spark related and refused to buy the hot coils that Dynatek wants to sell to me to fix the problem with their cdi. In all fairness I think the Teryx’s spark in stock form is very marginal. Anyway put the stock cdi back on….and use that way ever since. About two years ago cold start problems showed up, valves tightened up, I adjusted, and it fixed that, and still starts great. That mid range miss though, I started noticing more lately even with stock cdi.

Two weeks ago, an off/on very pronounced miss started showing…much more pronounce than the mid range miss which was an annoyance, this miss very noticeable, then gone. Give the impression spark related. Got bad enough that the miss seemed solid, so I pulled the plugs checked spark, and the spark seemed ok. The rear plug looked darker, and it looks like the miss was in that cylinder. Put plugs back in…started up, miss gone. ??? I put some Seafoam in the gas tank. Went back to using it. No problems until today. Now the miss is back and blue smoke from the exhaust. That crankcase breather tube, dumps to the ground on my Teryx, and the hole in the carbs where it’s suppose to go is plugged, and has been since I adjusted the valves. Not a trace of oil anywhere where it should not be. So…I drove to end of driveway, it was surging…running right then wrong…felt like spark, then it died. Let it sit for awhile, went back and it started with a ‘slight’ miss…I saw no smoke, managed to drive it back to the barn.

Checked oil…right where it’s suppose to be. So….I got a off/on very pronounced miss with smoke, classic crankcase breather issue, but it’s been disconnect for years. And it ‘feels’ spark related, but where is the blue smoke coming from?. Not sure where to go from here. Looking for advice.
IF no breather tube the oil can only come from two places, rings or valve stem seals

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

How would the come and go miss...which does seem pretty solid now....relate to either rings or valve stem seals?

I think of valve stem seals being issues only at cold start...or am I thinking wrong?

Does the motor need to be pulled to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement