Need advise dialing in a race rig - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Need advise dialing in a race rig

I have a 09 Teryx that I've recently started racing again. *It was originally built back in 09 for GNCC racing when limited stuff was offered for the FI engines, things have changed since then. *I really like some of the components I have but feel that some of them are lacking now a days. *Several years ago XP's weren't around and I'm having a little bit of trouble keeping up. *The Teryx definitely has advantages over the XP and I'm not willing to make a change to a XP. *I'm not looking to blow the doors off one, just make my combination work better so I don't get walked on too bad in the straights.
I'll give a some what complete list of what mods have been done.

Power
FST 840
FST stage 3 cams
DFR 45mm throttle bodies
DFR/Redline Weber Standalone
DFR 1st Gen Dual exhaust
Intake mounted up between the seats
Dalton clutching:
* *Overdrive cover
* *Amber primary spring
* *Silver secondary spring
* *Adjustable weights with no screws or rivets
* *Stock belt
Jaz 8 gallon fuel cell, mounted all the way back
External fuel pump/filter/regulator

Rest of the Teryx
Rear mounted radiator and oil cooler (forgot brand)
Oil sump (now holds 7 quarts of oil)
Billet steering rack
Power steering
1.5:1 steering quickener
Fox DSC RC2, stock width
Custom 4130 cage out of 1.75 .95
PRP seats
Solid doors*
Warn Winch
26x9x12 big horns all the way around
ITP T7 beadlocks
1/2" skid

The first thing I'm looking to do is put a +3 kit on it, no more cause in no willing to sacrifice tight turning and maneuverability. *I'm talking to some of the companies about it but I'm heavily considering building my own and buying the shafts. *If anyone has experience with any of the +3 kits please let me know, I've very interested to see reviews other than what's been posted already. *At the end of the year or between races if I have time I'm going to cut out the cage and rebuild it with 1.5" .095 and 083 chromo with the supports built out of 1", this should save me a couple pounds which I desperately need to loose. *At that point I'll also drop the seats down about 4 inches and move them back, the car has a very upright seating position and is tall due to me being 6'5", that has to change cause it's beating me to death.

Things I'm not willing to change at this point but will down the road are the 840 and the cams. *When these show signs of wear I'll go back into the engine and do a bigger displacement build and maybe a stroker crank with rods with head work. *Things I'm not willing to change at all are the throttle bodies and the standalone, Bud at Redline Weber has been the most helpful person throughout the build and racing of this Teryx and the standalone is badass, easy to use and very very reliable. *No one could have possibly helped me as much as he has and I want to support his product. *As of now the standalone has a aggressive tune. *The front cylinder has a 2 degree advance in timing over the back cylinder and it runs a lot of timing, I can get a total amount if someone asks but I run 112 to be safe and reliable.

I truly hate the exhaust, I feel that it hurts me more than I helps. *I want to change but I'm unsure what to go to that will work well with the current 840 or a larger displacement engine. *I need help with this! *I'm not sure if making a change will really make that big of a difference other than sound.
The clutching is a big improve over the EPI I first ran but I still don't feel it's 100% right. *I stay at roughly 7,500rpm at full throttle and the RPMs drop going up some steep hard hills racing. *I don't know what could be an improvement or what to do, also need help here.
There are other areas I don't care for but id like to have some opinions of the overall setup. *If you see anything that doesn't look right or you would change please let me know and give your reasoning the best you can. *If pictures are needed I can post plenty of them up
Thanks in advance!
Alex

09 Teryx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Muzzy pros a V force john clutch
. Call daman at hard core racing nice LT kits
Sponsored Links