What to Look For? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What to Look For?

New guy here. Looking to join the Teryx crowd. I've driven a few I am pretty convinced it's the machine for me. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to be able to afford a new one right now so I'm looking in the local used market. There are 2 that I have found that I plan to go look at in person in the next week. One is an '08 with only 50 hours. The other is a '10 with 21 hours. I've only seen pictures but they both appear to be very clean. My biggest concern with buying used is that I've heard the stock air filter I suspect. I plan to take off the filter and look at the intake to see how much dirt has been getting through. Beyond that, what else should I look for to make sure that there isn't anything seriously wrong that will need to be repaired soon? Also, how much improvement was there from '08 to '10? The FI would be nice but I ride quite a bit now with another '05 Brute Force and we have been up to 10,000 ft without a problem. I would probably put a Dynatec CDI on the '08 but would otherwise be leaving it pretty much stock. My main uses will be trail riding and hunting. The '10 would be about $2000 more. Any compelling reasons why I should spend the extra money if they both appear to be in good condition?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM

look to make sure the rear seal isn't leaking on both. this was an ongoing problem and kawasaki made an update to the 2012 model. other than that i don't know much about the teryx as i only had my 2011 for a total of two weeks. if you look around you might just find a deal on a newer model. that's what i did and got my brand new teryx 4x4 sport lime green for 10,500 out the door. bone stock i love it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lots of changes in those 2 years.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
eez

If the rear seal isnt leaking that only means someone has changed it already, im pretty sure they all leak on the older ones but they are very easy to change, i order 3 seals at a time and usually change them with the oil. With these u just have to learn to keep an eye on them and always check your oil, hopefully the previous owner did so. . There is a fix for this for 3 hundred something but i can buy a whole lotta seals with that money and it takes me 10min tops to replace. The front seals go as well but not nearly as frequent. Make sure the 4wd engages and disengage, the cables are known to freeze up if not lubed regularly, still an easy fix, also pull the rad cap and start it up and make sure no bubbles, this would mean blown head gasket. Another trouble spot on sxs's is the rear part of the front lower a arm's will dent the frame if the front tire comes in contact with something hard, like a tree in my case. There is also a fix for this but it involves some welding which is no biggie if u or a buddy has a welder. i even put the rpair kit on the non-damaged side for insurance for next time i hit tree should have no frame damage. Make sure the shift linkage is good, the neutral light should be on when shifter is in neutral slot, adjusting linkage is easy but if previous owner popped it outta gear a bunch you will prolly hear nasty noises comin from tranny and that means stay away That covers the most common things to watch for on the rex i think. Good luck

09 monster, msd & muzzy std, dalton clutch kit and od plate (not installed yet), viper 4500 with synthetic rope, homemade alum. roof, homemade uhmw skids, homemade catch can, uni slip-on filter with billet adapter, 26.5 pitbull rockers on stock sport rims, hid's from sxs customs, oddyssey 925 with sandjunkies mount, motels full windshield, induced fab doors, 62 mph top speed on speedo
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. Sorry to sound ignorant but what seals go bad? Are you talking about diff seals or output shaft seals? Also, would anyone care to elaborate on the differences between '08 and '10? I know that the body style changed and FI was added. Any other significant updates?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 04:25 AM
eez

front and rear engine seals where output shaft comes out, the major diff is a better cooling system from 10 up and an opening hood. thats about it besides fi

09 monster, msd & muzzy std, dalton clutch kit and od plate (not installed yet), viper 4500 with synthetic rope, homemade alum. roof, homemade uhmw skids, homemade catch can, uni slip-on filter with billet adapter, 26.5 pitbull rockers on stock sport rims, hid's from sxs customs, oddyssey 925 with sandjunkies mount, motels full windshield, induced fab doors, 62 mph top speed on speedo
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

I went to look at the '10 today. It is in like new condition, never even been off-road. They have kept it at their summer home up in the mountains in a paved community and they just use it to go down into the little town to buy groceries. It looked and ran great but the owner was really uncomfortable with me taking the cover off to even look at the air filter. I wanted to check the oil level but he didn't know where the dipstick was and I could tell didn't want me rooting around trying to find it. Where is it by the way? He assured me it was fine because they hadn't used it much. The front and rear seals looked good, no leaks, and he showed me where is was always parked in the garage and there was no sign of oil on the floor. How concerned should I be about a 2 year old machine with 20 hours that has never had the oil changed? He bought the 3 year warranty which will transfer and is good until December 2013. I'm thinking that I will ask him to take it in to have it serviced and ask that the dealership verify in writing that the proper maintenance has been done and the warranty is will still fully cover future engine problems. If they sign off on it should I feel comfortable that there hasn't been any long term damage done or should I just avoid it all together?

This guy is rich and very non mechanical. He told me he bought the warranty so that he wouldn't have to worry about taking care of it and if something went wrong he could just take it in to have it fixed. I wouldn't even consider buying it if it weren't for the fact that it has so few hours and looks like new. The only other thing that seemed like it might be a problem was that the steering wheel was off center. It didn't pull or vibrate at all but wheel was at about a 45 degree angle from where is should be. He told me it had been like that from the day he picked it up and when he called to ask the dealership about it they told him that it was normal and would only take a minute to remove the nut and align the steering wheel, he just never took it in to have it done. Does that sound right?

The price isn't bad, $10k for 14" SS wheels and terra cross tires, roll cage and rear seat, street legal kit, and split full front windshield. Would you take a chance on it or pass?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 AM

before you pay for it take it to a dealership and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. make sure you get everything in writing , if there are any problems have the owner take care of it before you buy it. make sure the steering is fixed. you wouldn't buy a car that way. the drivers seat has to be removed to get to the dipstick. my owners manual for my '11 says change the fluids after 20 hours or 120 miles of use. again have it checked out before you purchase.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM
eez

Mine came with steering wheel crooked too, 2 min fix, pop cap off wheel take nut off and pull wheel straighten, very simple.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement