2011 teryx won't Idle or hit rev limiter - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2011 teryx won't Idle or hit rev limiter

Hey guys first post here I have a 2011 teryx completely stock anyways I got it hot so I rebuilt it new gaskets piston rings now that it's all back together if I plug my air pressure sensor in it won't idle or hit rev limiter and is very hard to start. When it's unplugged it runs perfect idle perfect revs great everything I took the sensor off another and it did the same thing I'm lost in what to do now any suggestions Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Hi,

I have a 2009 that I am having the exact same issue with. Completely stock also. I've gone through just about everything else and can't find anything wrong.
I took off the intake air pressure sensor and measured its resistance while I pulled a vacuum on it. There was no change in resistance. I was assuming the sensor was bad, but from what it sounds like in your case, the new sensor didn't change anything. I haven't tried a new sensor yet.

Were you able to find a solution? I am at my wit's end with this thing!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Is your fi light flashing when it does this?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM

When I have the sensor plugged in, the engine begins to run like crap and the FI light does NOT ever come on. Then when I unplug the sensor, the FI light starts flashing and the engine runs perfect.

Just for a background, here is the problem: The engine will start up just fine, but will only run for about 15-20 seconds before it sputters out and stalls. If I keep revving it, it will stay running, barely. Once underway, the engine seems to be producing full power, but occasionally will not respond to the throttle at all (likes it's being starved of fuel) and will stall unless I goose the throttle which seems to wake the engine back up. Once I come to a stop, engine stalls immediately. (I have seen this problem with others in this forum and have checked everything they had problems with and I have come up with nothing). I've gone through the valves, fuel system, ECU connections, everything appears fine.

Strangely, when I disconnect the Intake Air Pressure Sensor, the engine instantly runs perfect! Only difference is that it throws the FI malfunction light (there was no malfunction light on before). Then when I plugged it back in, FI light goes out and engine instantly stalls.

The problem is definitely something electrical, I just can't seem to find what! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 AM

I don't know the answer here but why can't that sensor just be bad?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 AM

It very well could be. That was what I was thinking after trying my tests on it until I read SmCycle's post above. It sounded like he changed the sensor out and was still having the same issue. I just wanted to make sure he didn't find something else before I went and ordered a new intake air pressure sensor which isn't as cheap as I thought it would be lol
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Have you checked your intake to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak or torn or loose intake boot? Sounds like the sensor is not accounting for all the air therefore not adding enough fuel. Just a thought
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 AM

Definitely a good thought. I initially thought something like this was going on. I have gone through just about everything on the engine, but one more time definitely won't hurt. A lot cheaper than a new sensor. Also, the fuel pump is definitely working fine since I can get it to run perfect with the sensor unplugged.

It is still weird to me that even if the sensor is bad or if there was a vacuum leak, why would it run perfect once the sensor is disconnected?

Thanks for your advice, Rufus. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. In the mean time, anyone else ever had a similar issue as me?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM

I have a 2011 and have been dealing with the same problem, I replaced both sensors, the air intake and the air pressure sensor, still not fixed. Although my air intake pressure sensor was bad.(The one with the vacuum line connected to it.) One was cheap the other approx. $160.00. As I said it still sputtered, stalled out, everthing that would makeyou want you to run it off a cliff. Finally took it to a dealer, they called Kawi and they said look under the main wiring harness under the drivers seat where it goes under the square tubing into the ecu, for a possible bare wire, Kawi said they have been seeing a few of them show up.The area is nicely wrapped but it still wore through, the seat did not touch it as it is under the seat support on the right side of the drivers side seat support. Low and behold that was the problem, there was one strand rubbing against the under side of the tubing, the negative is I had to replace the complete harness. Thank god for extended warrenty. Hopefully this will help some of youguys that have been struggling with this. A little earlier Rufus was helping me on this also. Good luck, sorry for the long thread.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM

Glad you got it fixed Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement