Carry Items - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Carry Items

I am new to going out on my Teryx 650 and where I live I can drive on dirt roads for miles up in the hills. I sometimes worry about breaking down which would be a big inconvenience for someone to come and help me. What items do the rest of you carry on your side by side for extra safety while out in the back country? So far I have a set a metric tools, two spark plugs, slime with electric pump kit for tires and a tire patch kit.

The other thing I noticed on my 2008 Teryx that it is very hard to read the gas level using the slot under the seat and if I take the gas lid of I find it difficult to really see how much gas I have in the tank. I ran out of gas a couple weeks ago just as I was driving up to my house. Did they improve this with a real gas gage on the newer units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM

Teryxs are 750, yeah 09 on up have elec. guage on dash. I ride the Northwoods so probably different stuff in the box- GPS on dash, wrenchs and sockets, hammer,hatchet,chainsaw,bottle jack,spare tire,tire plugs and compressor,snatch block for winch,tow strap,flash light,lighter,380 auto and spare clip (full), 4 gallons of gas, ect. ect. oh and dont forget the cooler.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply I was starting to think that most people just go with nothing but some gas and a few dollars in their pocket. A cooler is a great idea. I live in the desert and water is something I should take more of. I don't know what normally breaks down on these machines. I guess that is why I am interested in what people take with them. I see spark plugs are on your list along with tires and jack. I am adding a flashlight to my list also because there are allot of abandoned mines in Nevada.

OK I don't take a rifle of pistil as there are only snakes and few lizards the coyotes are hardly ever seen during the day. But you mentioned North country. I grew up on Montana so have and idea of why you would want a gun. I am going to put a few of these things you mentioned in my Teryx along with a lighter. Thanks for your thoughts.

I was wondering is some people even take a spare drive belt but I would hate the idea of changing the belt out in the back country.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM

Belt

Yeah the belt gets a little involved, took me two hours in my shop. Tow strap! Almost forgot tool for removing all those plastic rivets, made one out of a small wonder bar--works great.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Some good ideas.. extra gas, food, water, and I always carry a gun.. not for snakes or lizards.. just for my protection from the two legged critters..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:09 AM

Renderman, if you are in Silver Springs, Nevada (where I am) extra water or coolant is always a good idea, its often a long ways to water. I carry a couple gallons of fuel, small tool kit with compressor and plugs, first aid kit, tow strap and a handgun! Been here a very long time and many snakes I have found out on the trails slither, but some walk on two legs
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about carrying extra gas as I find it very hard to see how much gas is in the tank. I tried again yesterday and for the life of me I cannot see the gas in that little slot under the seat and have to have a flashlight to check inside the tank lid. I could light a match and take a look but was not sure that it would be safe.
A first aid kit is a good idea. I have the small electric pump that came with the slime tire kit. And I have some tire repair plugs. I do have a fear of being stuck somewhere where no one could help me unless they have a four wheel drive. Glad for good cell phone reception in this area.

Lobo very nice to hear you are in the area my wife and I just moved to Silver Springs about four months ago. I have been to Churchill Butt and the other side with the towers which does has not name on Google Earth. But have been up Ramsey Road to the mines. I don't find two many two legged snakes out on the back roads. I did find some cross country bikers in the back country but they seemed harmless.

As far as guns my father who is now passed away when in the army took care of the guns and when he got out he never wanted to see another one. So I was raised without guns for the most part so never think about having one. But It could be a good idea.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 PM

A couple other items I have on mine is a CB Radio, a spare tire/wheel mounted on the back cage (have destroyed a rim in the rocks), and an extra 50' spool of cable for the winch with a snatch-block.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Spot gps transponder if you wander a long way off the beaten path. Sends an email to whoever you set it up with. Gives location, time sent, etc. a lot of trappers use them up here, could save your butt.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

There is so much tec stuff these days hard to keep up with it all. Ok I did look up info on this GPS transponder and this certainly would be a nice addition for a carry item. Looks like they start for around $100.00 Maybe for Christmas.
I think everyone has giving great suggestions for carry items. Hard to take everything mentioned but it gives me an idea off the essentials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement