Warranty by kawasaki - alterations CDI? JETTING? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Warranty by kawasaki - alterations CDI? JETTING?

I was curious about getting the extended warranty from the GTTP at the dealer.

Update on this warranty, called and talked to them, they said replacing the CDI or altering the jet settings would VOID any kawasaki warranty - on the powertrain or electronics. Furthermore they told me that any and all scheduled maintenance must be performed by a official kawasaki shop.

This is really hard to believe.?.?.?.?
But understandable.....I guess...

Here is a copy of their warranty bad boy list.

I. OWNER’S OBLIGATIONS

To maintain coverage, the owner must perform the owner’s obligations, operate and maintain the product as outlined in the Owner’s Manual. Service inspections, adjustments, and
replacements in accordance with the time and mileage intervals and other recommendations given in the maintenance schedule are essential. The owner is responsible for paying all
maintenance costs, including scheduled periodic service costs. Keep receipts and other records showing that proper maintenance and service have been performed.

II. LOSS OF USE–CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES

The repair or replacement of defective Kawasaki parts or components shall constitute the purchaser’s sole remedy and the sole liability of Kawasaki. KAWASAKI SHALL NOT BE
LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF PROFITS OR INCOME, LOSS OF USE OF THE PRODUCT, EXPENSE OF RETURNING
THE PRODUCT TO AN AUTHORIZED KAWASAKI DEALER, PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGES TO PROPERTY. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF
INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THESE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

III. EXCLUSIONS–ITEMS NOT COVERED

1. Failures which are not due to a defect in material or factory workmanship.
2. Rental product and product engaged in racing or competition.
3. Repair or replacement required as a result of (i) accident or collision (ii) misuse, abuse or neglect (iii) lack of reasonable and proper maintenance (iv) repairs improperly performed
or replacement parts improperly installed (v) use of replacement parts or accessories not conforming to Kawasaki
specifications which adversely effect performance and/or
durability; (vi) alterations or modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Kawasaki (vii) wear and deterioration (including loss of engine compression) occasioned by
the use of the product.
4. Regular maintenance service, adjustments or replacement of expendable maintenance items as outlined in the Owner’s Manual, but not limited to: filters, spark plugs, brake
shoes/pads, impellers and intake grilles, mats and bumpers.
5. Damage resulting from use of non recommended lubricant and coolant or the lack thereof.
6. Belts, tires, cables, chains, sprockets, batteries, bulbs, audio equipment, accessories, cosmetic appearance, gel coat stress cracks, watercrafts hulls and handle poles.
7. Damage as a result of sand, water, rust and/or rocks.
8. Damage as a result of excess load including occupants and/or cargo; tow loads in excess of maximum weights as specified in the Owner’s Manual
9. Deterioration from the elements

Last edited by Teee-rible; 09-09-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Cause I can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My take on this is, no extended warranty needed. In every UTV I have owned which is about 8 or 10 and never have I used a warranty. There are very few parts that you will ever have to replace that cost over $500.

Besides it sounds like they are going to weasel out of fixing it anyway then you don't get to do any mods to it.

My two cents.

Todd

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

I agree 200%, I just want to let others know...what the dealers told me. From what I have heard here and seen in the discussions was that Kawasaki won't honor jacks#@t anyway. Just wanting people to know...the ones that were curios about getting this warranty before the 6 month period is up...(the heat is on) thinking they need that warranty. It is nothing but a sales pitch, I mean come on...how can the dealers be trying to sell these from 800 to 1200, and they sell the same exact product on e-bay for 595???

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 05:17 PM

Im having trouble finding where it states it must be performed by a Kawasaki Dealer?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

You're right, it doesn't specifically say that in writting, I may have misunderstood the service department, (I don't think so) but, exactly what he told me was this;
"Well, we can't take your word on something being done if there is no documentation from an AUTHORIZED shop." and them there were his words... I was about ready to just say kiss my A&@, at least they were honest (about warranty voids) and pretty well told me "in my words" yeah, go ahead and give us more money...cause we probably won't fix it any way
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Personally, I would say take that money and invest in good insurance. As Todd said, chances of using the warranty are probably slim and I would think the chance of rolling, hitting something or having someone steal it are greater than having a major breakdown.

I have a 04 Prairie that I change the fluids in every few rides and I believe good maintance is the secret to not having any problems, too many people ride them hard and put them up wet, then expect nothing to go wrong. Your money would be spent better on a good manual and tools, so you know the guy working on it cares about how it will be fixed.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teee-rible View Post
You're right, it doesn't specifically say that in writting, I may have misunderstood the service department, (I don't think so) but, exactly what he told me was this;
"Well, we can't take your word on something being done if there is no documentation from an AUTHORIZED shop." and them there were his words... I was about ready to just say kiss my A&@, at least they were honest (about warranty voids) and pretty well told me "in my words" yeah, go ahead and give us more money...cause we probably won't fix it any way

That is a load of crap. A person can do their own maintenance. I've done my own maintenance on ALL of the vechiles I've ever had, and never had warranty issues, be it a car or truck. I've never had any warranty work on motorcyles, utv, atv, etc though, but can't believe that would be any different. I can't believe that would hold up legally.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 PM

The bad thing about warranties, is they are only as good as the dealership you are going to. There are some outstanding dealers out there that pride themselves on their service departments and there are others that once they make the sell, they could care less.

I guess it depends on how much you think your dealer will do for you and if they will honor the warranty.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM

I skipped the extended warranty through Kawasaki and got an extended warranty through my dealer. They seem not worried at all about the upgrades I do to the machine, although they like to ride it.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:52 PM

Just watched your video, looks like you won't need to mow around there anymore!

Exhaust sounds great, looks like she hooking up good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement