Transmission and linkage issue - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Angry Transmission and linkage issue

I have been out with the Muzzy exhaust and rejetting 4 times now. Each time I have had problems with the tranny popping out of gear and into neutral. I took it to the dealer and they said it was just the linkage adjustment. So that was that until we took it out the next weekend to the dunes. (Note all of out riding this summer has been in the dunes). My wife had good luck with it, then when I go out I put it through its paces. It jumped out again. So I take it back to camp and readjust, problem fixed. Then a little later same thing. So now I will bring my tools in the glove box to fix while out. My buddy with his new rhino is calling me"T-Wrench". Has anyone else had this issue. If so how did you fix other than jamming it up the dealers"""""". There are only a few things in the maintenance manual that says can make this happen and the linkage is the easiest, the rest is internal. It typically happens while under pressure and you can only adjust so much until you grind going into drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 AM
CommanderTalk.com

My friend, this is an issue I have not run into. When you spoke to the dealer did they simply tell you to adjust the linkage or did they do anything?

Maybe it is something more serious than the linkage and may require a trip to the dealer for warranty work?

I know this is not the answer you want, however, I just do not know.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
I have been out with the Muzzy exhaust and rejetting 4 times now. Each time I have had problems with the tranny popping out of gear and into neutral. I took it to the dealer and they said it was just the linkage adjustment. So that was that until we took it out the next weekend to the dunes. (Note all of out riding this summer has been in the dunes). My wife had good luck with it, then when I go out I put it through its paces. It jumped out again. So I take it back to camp and readjust, problem fixed. Then a little later same thing. So now I will bring my tools in the glove box to fix while out. My buddy with his new rhino is calling me"T-Wrench". Has anyone else had this issue. If so how did you fix other than jamming it up the dealers"""""". There are only a few things in the maintenance manual that says can make this happen and the linkage is the easiest, the rest is internal. It typically happens while under pressure and you can only adjust so much until you grind going into drive.
I have had to adjust my linkage 2 times, but I have never had it pop out of gear. Your dealer needs to make this right IMHO.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Not here to scare you, just additional info, because the internal issue is obviouslu big $.

If the linkage is adjusted properly it should not slip out, this is simple. There is a slight detent, bump ,felt when the selector shaft is in the correct position, one bump for each position, L, H, N etc. Check the position of the selector handle is in the grove which it belongs in. The link rod should line up with the pivot points.

If this is all ok, I'm afraid you may need to look internally.

If there is a rounded dog on one of the gears or a bent shift fork this will allow the gear to slip out of position (or the bent fork never put the gear in the correct position) . If this is the case, when you adjust the linkage it may be ok until the load on the faulty component allows the gear to move out of position.

When this happens it will further damage the internals and likely goon up your adjustment as the linkage was forced from it's desired position under load.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

I think you are right. I have readjusted many of times and it takes care of it for a while. But after the last time I had adjusted, I determined that something more than an adjustment is wrong. So I am going to take it to the dealer again and have them make it right. The first time they had just adjusted, I will make them look harder into it this time. Do think since I had brought it in there prior to the warranty being expired, that it would extend for this had happened prior to the expiration of the warranty?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
Do think since I had brought it in there prior to the warranty being expired, that it would extend for this had happened prior to the expiration of the warranty?
That is going to be up to the dealer my friend...do I think they should, absolutely, do I think they will, well that is really hard to say.

Please do let us know what it is as it could potentially help someone in the future. Best of luck my friend!

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:55 PM

Let me throw something in.

When I was trying to lock out the CVT, I didn't have the bolts in the front tube going across from one seat to the other with the shifter mechanism attached, this caused slack and mine did the same thing. I'm sure you parts are all there but do you suppose that bar is loose?

Todd

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

I wouldnt think so, but I have not checked the tightness of all the hardware on the shifter. I will need to read further in to the manual to see if there is something with the shifter that is throwing it out of gear.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:33 PM

Hey Guys as much as I hate to say it I'm in the same boat, this weekend I went out to Glamis for are yearly guys trip and man did I ever have problems with my Teryx. First off my Teryx wouldn't start unless it was in between N and R, Then my jetting that I got from Dyna jet was way off it melted the cover plastics under my ruv and the top of it also discolored the nice Muzzys pipes. Then onces I had all that done I went to Osmoblie and right when I got almost to the very top it pop out of gear so I waited till the rpm went down and tried again then it would happen again and again, then I had to had to force the handle and bent the lever to keep it in reverse to get it to turned around. So I tried a couple of more times and still no success so I had to fish it from one side to the other till I finally made it. Well it to keep a smile on all our faces going back from the hill to the Flats I was on all the Rzr and rhino's my Teryx was OK until it was under a heavy load which made it pop. I call the dealer were I got it from they said to take it in that they've been having issues with linkage and they were not sure if it was the tranny or mechanical problems but that they would look at it. I truly hope this is a one time fix, but I feel from other commets I've read this could be a plague, nothing more upsetting then loading up kids and wife and going to Glamis only to disappoint the little ones.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I am sort of glad to here that it is not me. This may show the dealers/ kawi that they need to fix our issues and there's to come. The kawi over the rhino is hands down a better ride for power and just feel. I am hoping this is an easy fix . But I am tired of it as well. My wife drives it with my 3.5 year old daughter in her car seat . So when I turn back and she is in a bowl with her hands up in the air. I get kind of pissed. I have to go over tear it down , break out the misc tools needed and adjust the linkage over and over again in a three day weekend. "Good Fun". We'll get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement