Teryx get beat by Rhino - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Teryx get beat by Rhino

Okay guys. I'm really upset about this. This last weekend I was riding at El Mirage and my son's friend came up for the day with his new Rhino 700FI. All of us at camp had been talking how much faster the Kawasaki Teryx is compared to the Rhino (including the Rhino owner) So we decided to all go out to the dry lake and have a drag race. I couldn't believe it when the Rhino pulled away from me for 3/4 of the race. I finally caught him at the end and passed him, but it took me a long time. Its embarassing just to post this, but I had to know if anyone else had the same experience.

When I test drove both the Rhino and the Teryx, it seemed the Rhino wouldn't get out of its own way. Now I'm confused. Someone set me straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 PM
CommanderTalk.com

I suppose my first question is was this stock vs stock?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 05:06 PM

If it is still stock your race would be accurate. You make a simple CDI swap and the Rhino won't see anything but your rear end.

A stock Teryx has two timing curves it and it won't advance the timing until you get past 5 mph.

Go ahead and remove your exhaust tip.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 01:11 AM

Yep, sounds like yo still have the stock CDI box. Get the Dynatek or the Velocity Devices CDI and you will leave the Rhino wondering what happened!

Benchmark Performance
760-484-0986
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
I suppose my first question is was this stock vs stock?
Hi all, Yes it was stock versus stock. The only thing done to my teryx is the spark arrestor was removed and I have a little wider rims in back. The Rhino was completely stock. You would think with 50cc's of displacement over the teryx, two cylinders and two carbs, I would have sucked him up the exhaust pipe and spit him out. I can say that over the trails he was easy to overtake and mountain climbing I had him. And hes a lot younger and has been riding quads where I have had limited quad experience and more 2 wheel experience. I know I have to get that CDI, but for now I'm going to have to endure the humiliation because my 66 Mustang is in the shop for some work and can't do both at the same time. What a wake up call for both the Rhino owner and myself. I'm going to have to save some money and take your advice and use some of our sponsors businesses and get those hi performance parts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 PM

I had a diffrant outcome than you did,it was close out of the hole but by 10-15mph i was pulling pretty good. Now that I have the mods I have the rhino doesnt even want to play anymore and I have to play with the rzr's even out running them now..

Here is a pic of the rzr I have been giving fits and he has a pipe and a fuel controller/chip.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 05:19 PM

Yeah, my in-laws have a Rhino too, and before I got the CDI ($200) I would always win the race, but would fall behind early. Then we both bought a CDI for our respective toys, and removed the spark arrestor. Now I win, and it's not even close!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM

How does it do against a RZR?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutcutter View Post
I had a diffrant outcome than you did,it was close out of the hole but by 10-15mph i was pulling pretty good. Now that I have the mods I have the rhino doesnt even want to play anymore and I have to play with the rzr's even out running them now..

Here is a pic of the rzr I have been giving fits and he has a pipe and a fuel controller/chip.

I can't even imagine racing a Razor. They are supposed to be REAL fast. I notice Rutcutter that you have a lot of performance goodies on your ride. I thought the Teryx was supposed to be a lot quicker stock than the Rhino. What gives? Is it just mine or is it slower, stock to stock? I noticed Mikeomo even would lose off the get-go. I guess I was listening to all the hype and when the "race" came up I figured I'd blow my son's friend's Rhino off the dry lakebed. I guess its saving for that CDI. Anyone recommend the best. I don't have a laptop to program on the teryx, so I need one I can either program in the house or buy one already programmed. If I can't get this Teryx to beat the Rhino, I'm going to be very disappointed. I hope it won't take a bunch of money to get this thing to run fast.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Ignition & exhaust tip!

I bought the dynatek non-programable ignition ($200) and just an exhaust tip form Axia Alloys ($40) and the Teryx rips! I live on an acreage and the block I live on is about 3 kms around (2 mi). I hooked up my GPS and did the block in 3 1/2 mins at max speed of 74 kms (46 mi/hr) - sorry, I'm Canadian! Put on the ignition and tip, now did the block in 3 mins and a max speed of 95 kms (58 mi/hr). My buddy had a stock Teryx and there is no comparison between mine and his - of course, now he has an ignition and tip. The best $250 you could spend for the performance, I gaurantee that you will not be disappointed. I just put 27" XTR's on it so I guess I may have a little more top end, haven't timed it yet but I also put on 14" rims so they may suck up some power now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement