Ordered the Muzzy Exhaust System - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ordered the Muzzy Exhaust System

Based on the comparison Hunterworks did on the different exhaust systems, I went and ordered a Muzzy Exhaust system, jet kit, cooling fan and metal cover for the Teryx. It will not be shipped until next week and looking forward to putting it on. Any other suggestion on what I should get, I already have a clutch kit and Dynatech CDI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 PM
CommanderTalk.com

I think you have a pretty good start my friend!

The new Muzzys system you will notice actually has a tad different pipe design, no more messing around with lining the gasket up, it actually slides over the pipe which then slides into a shoulder on the cylinder!

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:39 AM

Good deal, I also got my Muzzy's system from Todd at HW. Great outfit to deal with, no worries.

Dieselpowered is right. Should be easier to install without the factory Kawasaki Gaskets although once you figure out how to use the kawasaki gaskets it is pretty easy. Muzzy's is always looking for ways to improve their systems and I can tell you first hand, the system ROCKS, everybody I ride with seems to love to hear my screaming Teryx coming up behind them. I shot some first person video on Buffalo Mountain yesterday, it is compressing now, check my Youtube site in my signature later today if you want a sneak peak of how your machine is going to sound and perform after next week.

Other upgrades... Dyatek Coil Kit? Seats to hold your bad self in better? Maxis BigHorns in 26" on your stock wheels? Performance shocks?

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
Good deal, I also got my Muzzy's system from Todd at HW. Great outfit to deal with, no worries.

Dieselpowered is right. Should be easier to install without the factory Kawasaki Gaskets although once you figure out how to use the kawasaki gaskets it is pretty easy. Muzzy's is always looking for ways to improve their systems and I can tell you first hand, the system ROCKS, everybody I ride with seems to love to hear my screaming Teryx coming up behind them. I shot some first person video on Buffalo Mountain yesterday, it is compressing now, check my Youtube site in my signature later today if you want a sneak peak of how your machine is going to sound and perform after next week.

Other upgrades... Dyatek Coil Kit? Seats to hold your bad self in better? Maxis BigHorns in 26" on your stock wheels? Performance shocks?

First let me thank everyone one who is on this site for the expertise and especially our moderator Dieselpower for the site and to Magellan for his excellent contributions and video. I do not think I would put an exhaust on my Teryx if there was not this site and all the information on it. I have learned a lot.

Magellan, I already have 27X12 XTRs with SS108 rims all around and was thinking about the coil kit after I get the Muzzy installed. After I get it all installed, let the good times roll!

One quick question, I have heard that you take your skid plate off to access the exhaust, is this correct?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkelsoe View Post
First let me thank everyone one who is on this site for the expertise and especially our moderator Dieselpower for the site and to Magellan for his excellent contributions and video. I do not think I would put an exhaust on my Teryx if there was not this site and all the information on it. I have learned a lot.

Magellan, I already have 27X12 XTRs with SS108 rims all around and was thinking about the coil kit after I get the Muzzy installed. After I get it all installed, let the good times roll!

One quick question, I have heard that you take your skid plate off to access the exhaust, is this correct?
The coil kit will smooth it out some. If you go to the youtube site in my sig, you can hear my ride yesterday in the latest video FPV - Teryx. Seems to have about eliminated the sputter. Actually here is the video below.

Yes you will only need to take off the very center skid plate to install the Muzzy's system and only for one spring (rear headpipe 1 to rear headpipe 2) or you could do it all from the top, I think there are 10 10mm head bolts holding it on but maybe just 8. It is pretty easy. The important ting is to get the #2 rear headpipe/collector level with the ground which means pretty high up. Todd can help if you have any issues or PM me and I will give you my cell and I will help any way I can.

You are gonna LOVE the Muzzy's system, it should also be quieter than Todd's early system, I think they are using new packing material now as well as the removal of the need to use the factory Kawasaki exhaust gaskets.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

That is friggin awesome, I love the part when the four wheeler gets ahead of you and you accelerate to catch up. The trees go by like a blur. The sound is better than I expected. I may take you up on the cell phone offer when and if I get in a bind.

As I understand it, the coil kit makes you run a little lean which you expalin by moving the needle up one notch or re-jetting one size is this correct? I may just order the coil kit now and re-jet once.

BTW what type of mounting system do you have to hold the camera so steady?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkelsoe View Post
That is friggin awesome, I love the part when the four wheeler gets ahead of you and you accelerate to catch up. The trees go by like a blur. The sound is better than I expected. I may take you up on the cell phone offer when and if I get in a bind.

As I understand it, the coil kit makes you run a little lean which you expalin by moving the needle up one notch or re-jetting one size is this correct? I may just order the coil kit now and re-jet once.

BTW what type of mounting system do you have to hold the camera so steady?
Thank you. Yes it is fun to let the Vinson get to where he thinks he has me, then come racing up with the Muzzy's screaming. The Vinson is a 500 and runs pretty well asle. It has a HMF Slipon, Dynojet kit, K&N filter and it runs good. Just not good enough.

I am only assuming that the coil and hotter spark is shy I had to richen up the midrange. I went to position 3 on the needles. Whatever the case, the machine is really running well. All that video with the exception to the last part on the road I was in low gear. The Dalton OD Clutch cover lets me get to 38MPH in low now and at 38 the rev limiter has not kicked in yet. I used to hit the rec limiter at around 32 or so. (32 and 38 indicated on Speedo) That is a HUGE benefit of the OD cover for me. I needed more mph in L. Also, remember that in the video, a good part of the performance is how well adjusted my CVT belt is and how well the Dalton Clutch Kit performs. It makes a HUGE difference for my machine. Night and day as far as quickness to accelerate and also decelerate as you can see in the video. Next time I ride, it will be with 3 tricked out 2x4 Kawasaki, Suzuki machines with cams and exhaust systems, then we will see how quick I really am.

As far as rejetting once... I rejetted main jets 7 times, tried the needles in positions 1,3 and 4 and many different idle mixture screw settings, and not until I got the WEGO III air/fuel ratio meter was I able to bring it all together and make it run like it is now. I got it close with the NGK meter, but the midrange leanness was a lot harder to diagnose with the NGK for me. With the WEGO, I just look at a graph. For instance below is a graph of when I had the midrange needles in position 4 which was to rich. Lower numbers are rich, higher lean. I am shooting for 12.25 or so. The graph below shows a tiny bit lean idle mixture screw, very rich midrange and a little bit lean main jet. (The big lean spike is going down my steep driveway and feeder road)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screeny 2008.10.06.07.56.52.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	517  

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 10-11-2008 at 05:11 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 07:46 AM

Magellan,

When you measure you a/f ratio do you start on flat ground and start easing thru the pedal positions? Meaning a gradual increase in throttle so you can see where in the throttle range your lean or rich?

I guess what I am asking is that chart a wide open throttle run or how did you do it?

For everyone else:

The nice thing about a load control dyno is you can put a big load on it and hold the throttle at any position you want, get a a/f ratio reading, RPM does not matter it is simply the throttles positions so you can see your ratio and know what parts need adjusting.

Example:

idle to 1/8 opening is mostly pilot jet and air screw, 1/4 to 3/4 throttle is needle position and shape, 3/4 to WOT is all main jet. Realize you need to find your WOT first because the changes in main jet will change your fuel all the way down to 1/8 opening.

So set your WOT throttle first, then adjust your needle then finally your idle to 1/8 with mixture screw or pilot jets.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 08:00 AM

Man I wish I had a dyno close to do it on. Probably way easier and more precise.

I first got the main jets right with the NGK A/F meter I got from you. That graph represents first idle, as you can see I needed to open up the mixture screw a little, I think it was 1/2 turn from what the graph shows again to get it very good. Then I ride about 1000 feet with more than 1/4 throttle to show mid. Then I drive down my very steep driveway and feeder road, that is the tall lean spike. Then I 180 it in the road at t he bottom of our mountain then WOT back up, but as you can see emphasized on the graph with the fat mid, I have to let off a couple of times or I will spin out on the curves on the way up, then I do the same 1000' to show the mid again after WOT, then I pull into the garage and let it idle then shut down. Now that I have a helmet cam, I will video next time I pull out the A/F meter. You are 100% right though about getting the main jets dialed in first as good as you can before you can concentrate on the mid, I found it impossible to do the mid without getting the mains close. For me the graphs helped a TON.

Here is graph from above labeled, crudly, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screeny-2008.10.06.07.56.52marked-up.gif
Views:	766
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	518  

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 10-11-2008 at 08:49 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

All great information, but I have a new question. Thanks to Todd and his article about jetting using the Air/Fuel gauge and Magellan and his graphs, I was thinking after I re-jet and get everything set up why would I need it anymore unless I did more mods in the future. Until then the Air/Fuel gauge sits around and does nothing. Would anybody be interested in renting me an Air/Fuel gauage for about a week or two until I get things dialed in. That way I do not have spend another $300 to $400 for the gauge? We can work out the details on gaurantees, returning, amount etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement