Muzzy Exhaust Question??? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Muzzy Exhaust Question???

I am getting ready to install a Muzzy 212 system on my Teryx and I am wondering about the heat issue. Does it really require the heat wrap and if so , how difficult is the wrap install. Anyone have any info? I would do the ceramic coating but I don't have enough time to get that done before my next trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 PM
CommanderTalk.com

The wrap is not difficult, however, I have heard that it sometimes causes issues with corrosion on the pipes. If you are set on doing it, might not be a bad idea to ceramic coat the headers prior to wrapping it.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info dieselpowered. I would prefer to ceramic coat the pipe but I don't have time to get that done before my trip in a week. So, will the pipe be fine without the wrapping for now? Then I can get it coated when I get home or just after my thanksgiving trip. My problem is I need an exhaust sytem installed because my slip-on blew apart last trip and I don't want to reinstall the same POS I had.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Did your Muzzys kit come with the additional heat shields?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

I am suppose to receive my pipe by this coming Friday and was going to do the install this weekend. Does the Muzzy usually come with additional heat sheilds or mounting brackets? I was thinking of buying some aftermarket standoff brackets which attach with hose clamps and then try to reinstall the stock shields. I know I will probably have a little shield modifing to do.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 AM

The system comes with 2 heat shields, I am getting ready to put my Muzzy's on too, and I am wondering about the heat tape wrapping also. Is it really needed?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teee-rible View Post
The system comes with 2 heat shields, I am getting ready to put my Muzzy's on too, and I am wondering about the heat tape wrapping also. Is it really needed?
I actually have bare stainless and also a set of Muzzy's Ceramic coated.

1. Did you get ceramic coated pipes?
With the Ceramic coating there is a LOT less heat, but still a little more than with the pipes wrapped.
2. How bad do you dislike the heat in the cockpit?
With the ceramic coated pipes, you basically have about half the heat of the factory exhaust system in the cockpit. With the bare stainless wrapped you have less than 1/3 the heat of the factory system IMHO.
3. Do you ride in a lot of mud or water.
Water, especially muddy water is pretty hard on the wrap even with the DEI sealer I used. The wrap gets matted with dust/dirt/mud when it gets wet and over time it gets heavy and starts to work less and fail. At least mine did, it took a few hundred miles in some nasty conditions but I had to pull the whole system and re-wrap pretty much.
4. Do you plan to ever put the stock system back on or remove the Muzzy's system at any time?
If you do, you need to have joints in the wrap where each pipe goes together. If you don't and you wrap, you can eliminate 2 or more of the joints in the wrapping.

Hope this helps. VERY COOL that Muzzy's put the F/A Meter Bungs in your system. That saves a LOT of legwork finding someone who can weld the thick bung to the stainless headers. Not so easy as one might think.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 10-29-2008 at 09:34 AM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 AM

No didn't get ceramic coated, the heat in cockpit is alright with me with stock (are you saying there is less heat than stock with muzzys?) Yes I ride in a lot of mud and water and no I don't plan on putting the stock system back on.
Since it is getting colder now, I think I will not worry about it, if I need to wrap them I'll probably do it next spring. This cold weather time I will be pulling a lot of logs out of the woods (where my tractor can't get) so I will probably need the heat!
Can you install everything from the top or is there a need to crawl under to maneuver pipes around? I'm trying to decide if I need to use my buddies lift or not.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

No ceramic coating yet for me either. The heat from the stock unit isn't too bad. I was worried about plastic melting or something like that. But if the Muzzy comes with a couple of shields, then I'm guessing those should be fine. I don't ride in any water really, only dirt,sand & dust.
I read that th einstall is pretty basic except it helps to remove the skid plate and of course the drivers seat and console. Do you agree? Thanks for the info Magellan.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 PM

Ok here is my experience, dealer put mine on with heat sheilds. The sheild that goes under the drivers seat that attatches to frame. The insulation came off melted off. i suggest and this is from muzzy rivet or do something else to hold insul on. I had heat that was pretty warm in the dunes. It melted the plastic right below seat belt bracket on engine cowl. I pulled off this week and wrapped it. I can see if your are a heavy mudding person how it would be tough on the crap, you would need to rewrap every so often. As far as rust goes it is stainless so ????? No big deal. I will let you know how it works this weekend?? Other than that it sounds awesome!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement