Teryx clutch kits Dalton or EPI ? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Teryx clutch kits Dalton or EPI ?

I had a 07 Rhino 4 seater and could not climb Olds hill at Glamis. It was jetted with a CDI.

Then I installed the EPI duner kit and then could climb up it no problem. I know many Rhino owners that use the EPI clutch kits because they work.
So I personally know that the EPI (duner) clutch kit is NOT a waste of time/money for the Rhino after putting 2000 miles on mine. This is in response to a post I read from a vendor stating EPI clutch kits are a waste of time and money for a Rhino.

So I would like to hear from the people that have installed the EPI kits for the Teryx. I have heard great things about the Dalton kit, but is it because they are making money off it? or is it truly superior to EPI? I am in the market for a belt and clutch kit and would like more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Here is the short answer, and I make nothing off of telling you this, the Dalton Clutch is adjustable, meaning you can tune it to your needs. The EPI is what it is, if you want something different, then you need to purchase additional components to change things.

I am not even close to a pro on the clutching, however, from everyone I have talked to Dale is...if you really want a technical explanation why his kit is superior, he is more than happy to talk you. Honestly, give Dale a call, he can tell you all about the Kawasaki CVT.

If you prefer, he is on this site, username Helix, so you can send him a PM.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Diesel.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 PM

I have installed a couple Teryx EPI kits. They work very well, IMO. I have not had the chance to compare them with the Dalton kit, other than physically looking at them.
I don't think you'd be sorry if you bought the EPI kit.
Also, I wouldn't change the belt, unless yours is worn. EPI's belts are made by the same company that makes Kawasaki's belts.
Glenn Erlandson, the owner of EPI, spent a lot of time with me explaining their findings with the Teryx clutch. He explained that the stock secondary spring is too heavy initially, and then too soft as it gets compressed. EPI attributes this spring issue as a major contributor to the belt problems that some people are having with the Teryx.

Benchmark Performance
760-484-0986
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Who makes the Kawasaki belts?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:45 AM

I'm the vendor that said the EPI didn't work for the Rhino and I said I am sure somebody somewhere might receive a benefit from them but we could not get a positive result from any clutch of any brand in a Rhino.

Dalton does not make one for a Rhino and it is because they could not get a positive result either.

That being said I am sure yours might have worked for your application but we had too many people call us back stating they could not tell a difference and if you know anything about Hunterworks we will only sell what works and won't promote something that does not. I felt bad about charging a guy nearly $200 for something they didn't get a noticable result from. I am more concerned about making the customer happy than the profit off an item with questionable results.

We support the Dalton for the Teryx because we know they do work. I am sure the EPI for a Teryx works fine but I prefer the Dalton because it is adjustable instead of having to pick a kit out for one application like EPI.

By the way, we have the dlaton in stock and the over drive plate too!!

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:07 AM

I installed an EPI kit and could not be more happy with mine. I also have not used or installed the Dalton clutch kits but heard good things about them. I am kind of interested in hearing who actually adjusts their weights and the performance gains because of the adjustment. I can understand if it is the dunes where you run WFO and climbing hills but not trail and mud riding. Just curious.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 PM

The idea of adjustable is:

Bone stock Teryx today

Next week CDI, exhaust, jet kit

the next week big tires

then next month big bore kit

You never have to buy another kit and all would require a change for optimal performance

post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 08:13 AM

what all do you have to switch out on the dalton,say going from big tires to a dune setup with stockers?

red le
30" XXL's
nukes
custom radio
belt snorkels
dyna
HW carb kit
overdrive plate
xpatv lift
super atv bumper
Night Owl Hids
k&N billet intake
grant wheel
yellow top optima
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 AM

I don't have the manual with me now but it would be maybe primary spring and the set screws that go in the flywights, all of which can be changed without taking the primary sheave off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement