Blue Smoke - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Blue Smoke

Yesterday i installed the dynatek non-programmable cdi and also removed the stock exhaust tip. Did a good bit of riding today and noticed that just over 1/4 throttle i have a slight mis from the engine. It doesnt make any loud pops or anything just a faint miss. Is this anything i should worry about?

My other question is that today i hit a good long straightaway a few times to see what top speed is with the dyna. I hit 60 mph, 61, and on the last pass when i reached 55 mph or so it started to cutout like it needed more air to the intake..I let off the throttle and when i looked back was a large blue cloud of smoke. Im assuming if the teryx is anything like the brute force atvs its due to the crank tube blowing oil into the air intake and its being burned off causing the big cloud of smoke. I am ordering a siphon break like on rhinos to hopefully prevent that from happening again. Just to confirm i took my air filter out..the air box was free of oil but the rubber intake tube btween the air box and the plastic box above the carbs had a good amount of fresh oil everywhere..THis is why i believe the smoke was from excessive oil being blown into the intake..

Should i worry about the smoke? I kept riding a good while longer and didnt have any more trouble.

Just need some info on the miss when i added the dynatek and the smoking issue...Thanks guys the teryx is awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Sounds like you have answered your question youself, if your getting oil into the filter its got to come from the crankcase vent, I'm not sure why the 750 motor has this problem, but it seems to happen alot. I have a 700 Prairie and have never seen this, and so far I've not have had this happen on my Teryx.
As far as the slight miss, I'm not sure, I put the Dynotek on mine and have'nt noticed any miss, but I believe that there are others on the site that have had this problem, maybe they can help.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 AM

Happened to my new 2009 Teryx Sport......less than 10 hours time on it. All of a sudden, starts cutting out and huge cloud of dense white/blue smoke belching out of engine.... WTF? Not riding it hard and cruising @25mph.... I thought pehaps something to do with the two rubber vent hoses that used to be connected to the stock cage? I installed a little uni filter on each and tied neatly out of the way... No bends, pinches or kinks... Any suggestions?

Last edited by xineohp; 03-02-2009 at 05:46 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to mouser58
White smoke would worry me. That's a sign of water in the cylinder.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:39 PM

Xineohp,

On a 09 model they worries me, there is a "siphon break" from the factory with a drain back in it for this problem.

Your issue may be something else.

Todd

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 AM

I agree. It's normally high rpm operation or serious inclines that cause the oil to make its way to the airbox........and then, of course, it is blue smoke and not white.

As Hunterworks says the 2009's have been revised to deal with this issue, although I believe I've still read people complaining about it happening.

In any case, better get 'er checked out at the dealer assuming you're under warranty still.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM

I have found the problem, however the root cause is still unknown. I posted what I found here: No power & BIG Blue Cloud Of Smoke ;( - Page 2 - Kawasaki Teryx Forum - Teryx Forums.net

I have a theory of what may have caused the 2009 FI engine to start siphoning oil from the crankcase.... first let me begin by noting that I installed a Muzzy Dual exhaust system w/Muzzy FI Controller as well as a new K&N factory style aircleaner. Also, installed a K&N Filter Charger over the aircleaner....

Now, I do NOT believe that either of the first two items would cause the oil siphoning. But the third item is suspect. My theory is the K&N Filter Charger (fine mesh screen material that is designed to keep moisture away from the aircleaner element) may have restricted the intake airflow as it was rather dusty that day. The Kawasaki 750 Brute engine sucks a great deal of air and I think if the K&N Filter Charger became restrictive in the dusty environment, then the engine may have created a vacuum great enough to draw engine oil up the crankcase vent tube and past the siphon break.

It's only a theory..... being that this engine is prone to do this and has a history of doing so, my theory may not be the root cause of the problem. needless to say, the K&N Filter Charger has been removed and the Teryx is at the dealer being looked at, along with it's first service.

Will keep you posted what they say....

Last edited by xineohp; 03-02-2009 at 05:45 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 AM

Sounds logical.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Angry Did you get solution?

I am having very similiar problem on my 08, sometimes it will totally rev up and run at high RPM, then all of a sudden it boggs down and won't allow the motor to totally spool up to top RPM? I have also installed Dynatech NON-programable CDI box, and it seems like an ignition issue, kind of like a fouled plug, then it clears and takes off again????? Mine does not perform any differently at low rpm, but sometimes at wide open throttle, it boggs down for a few seconds, then if I let off and try to go WOT it runs fine? I also have oil in runners between carb and air box, but none is getting to filter area.

Any thought or help? Race this weekend, and I hate getting beat by damn razor, I need WOT!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 PM

I have had this same problem with the blue smoke. I just finished fixing the problem.

I took the air cleaner off then removed the black box that fits right in front of the air cleaner box. When I removed the front box I had oil running out of it and found there was about 1/4 inch of oil setting on top of the butter fly in the front injector.

I cut the crank case breather hole. I then installed a glass style fuel filter. Then right on top of the fuel filter I installed a regular crank case breather filter. Now the reason I installed a fuel filter is it will act as a catch can. I mounted it up and down. Oil gets pushed into this filter then when the engine is turned off the oil can run right back into the crank case.

I went out on a nice hard trail ride with the engine cover off. It worked just like I planed. By the time I was half why down one trail, I notice a small about of oil in the glass fuel filter. I then turned around and ran her hard back to the shop. By this time there was what appeared to be about 1/8 inch of oil in the filter. NO SMOKE NO CUTTING OUT. Now I am sure the oil will drain back to the crank case.

Hope this help some of you fellow rexer out.

2009 Teryx LE FI
REAL OFF ROAD RIDERS DON'T RIDE WITH FLEAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement