WARNING on Dynoing a Teryx!!! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Exclamation WARNING on Dynoing a Teryx!!!

If you are going to have your teryx dynoed have them remove the front drive shaft first and this can be done without tools well at least removing the shaft part. You must remove the plastic center plastic floorboard cover.

The end of the drive shaft that goes to the front differential has a spring in it and you can push the drive shaft forward and it will come out of the engine yoke. After removing the driveshaft pull the yoke off the engine as well, it just slips off.

Oh yeah the reason why. When dynoing the Teryx the front drive shaft turns on the input shaft on the front differential and it is not designed to be turning that fast compared to being on the ground. The front yoke has a brass bushing in it and it will get the front yoke so hot it will melt the seal inside yoke right behind the nut that holds it on then the oil will leak out. If you continue to run it, you will destroy the input shaft as well.

When not on the dyno and you have it in 2wd and the rear wheels spin the shaft spins on the front input shaft but it is not long enough to do damage but when you do continuous runs it gets very hot.

Point is, remove the front drive shaft before you dyno you Teryx. Just ask me and Dieselpowered we both have had to replace the front yoke and the seal in it.

Diesel why don't you stick the thread?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 06:41 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Yes I think I will since I just had mine fixed for the very same reason. Now I am not pointing fingers saying they did not remove the front drive shaft when they dyno'd but I just had this exact same problem fixed on mine.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM

Had my rex dyno'd a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know about the front drive shaft seal, I don't think they removed the front drive shaft.....You think it's gonna leak huh????????

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

If it is not now then you might be safe. I forget sometimes and dyno mine with it attached but remember it quickly.

It is a real hard job to get to the seal inside the yoke.

Todd

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM

Kelly at KMS dyno'd mine without removing the front shaft.
needed a new yoke as well as the seal. We had to pull the front diff to get to the shaft to remove all the old bushing material. PITA and $140 in parts. Labor we did ourselves.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Hard lesson to learn, been there!!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:29 AM

GREAT INFO ...... hunterworks has saved us on this one. Thanks for the heads up.

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:14 AM

Ever since I snorkeled my bike, it has been harder and harder to get it out of 4WD. So I said screw it and left in 4wd all the time not thinking it would hurt anything. Parked my bike after the last ride behind my house. Went to back it up the next day to go clean it, and it wouldn't move. I forgot to mention I smoked the belt that ride also. I tried to back it up to move it, and it wouldn't move. It would roll back just a hair, and thats it. Thought maybe it was the belt issue that I already knew about. Pulled primary and belt. Still wouldnt move. Jacked it up off the ground, same thing. Turns just a little, then stops. Upon further inspection, I noticed the front seal just hanging around the front shaft. Then I noticed why it wouldn't roll very far. It would roll just enough in the hit the almost gear looking thing right behind front seal. I'm guessing that is what engages 4wd. I also noticed that my front prop shaft is no longer centered in the diff. Can't wait to tear it all apart and find out what's wrong with it.lol. Guess my main question is did all this come from riding with it in 4wd this whole time? It has probably been a few months of not easy riding.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

I kind of doubt it but would be hard to know exactly.

FYI, the front end parts are high!! Just rebuilt one and the parts alone were $1200

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 PM

I am hoping i don't have to rebuild the whole thing. Haven't tore it apart yet though.
Is there a trick to getting the axle nuts off the axle? I tried using my impact, and it wouldn't budge. Are the both right hand thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement