Fuel Injected UTV owners please read!! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fuel Injected UTV owners please read!!

Been thinking about fuel injection a lot since all the UTV's have it now. There is a good bit of misunderstanding about it and misinformation.

The change is good for a lot of reasons and bad for the other. Not sure how I want to put this out.

I am pretty sure hardly any of you have a dyno with load control at home, most of you don't even have at a minimum a air/fuel ratio gauge. Why is that important?

Let me give you a scenario: Say you bought a pipe from somebody, bought a air intake from another guy, cam and piston from another guy and you bought a MSD ignition/fuel controller. Ok now you got all the parts you think are great and they may be with the right MAP and you get them all installed. Now what do you do to set up your fueling requirements?

There is a belief that the MSD comes from MSD ready to go, sorry it does not. It has 10 different MAPS available, three are not programmable at all. One is a stock style curve and the other two are for limited speeds for use for speed challenged people so that leaves curves 1 thru 7 you can program yourself or have someone like us do it for you.

Even if any of those companies you bought your stuff from had a fuel map for you for your MSD or whatever fuel controller you had it would not work in conjunction with the other parts you bought. Now your stuck and at a minimum you will have to buy a air/fuel ratio gauge and start making your own fuel MAP. I forgot, no one told you there is two different fuel maps in your stock ECU, a part throttle and a wide open throttle MAP and now your getting some really weird numbers on your air/fuel ratio gauge at different throttle positions and you are totally lost.

There is good news kind of. Let's use a real world example. If you buy a MSD from Hunterworks it comes with two or our own MAPs already preprogramed for you, one for the stock exhaust and one for the Muzzy exhaust. Ok, you bought a let's say a Two Bros Exhaust and want to know what MAP to use. I can't tell you, we didn't do a MAP on it and won't be. Your stuck again but if you had bought the Muzzy you would simply have turned your MAP switch to number two and went on down the road.

On the exhaust, there is none better than the Muzzy I promise you and it is the only one we support so if you want a pre-programmed MAP then you have to buy the Muzzy. This is good news because it works great and in the same ballpark as any other pipe on price.

So you bought a slip on exhaust which won't really do anything for power and want to know what MAP to use. I don't know same scenario.

Ok, so your happy, you got your MSD and Muzzy pipe and you decide you want to go with a high compression piston and cam from pistonsRus.com and then you call me to ask what MAP to use. Don't know, we didn't map that piston and cam. We mapped a JE 11:1 piston and Hotcams stage one Raptor cam and it works super but you didn't buy that.

Get out your air/fuel ratio gauge and get to work. Unless you done this before or know someone who has or if you just don't mind playing with it until you get it figured out then good luck.

At this point you might be thinking Hunterworks is making my choices limited if I don't want to do anything but install it and turn the MAP selector switch to the MAP that goes with the MOD. You would be right. We simply can't afford the time or the money it would take to install and MAP out all those parts. We pick parts that are good quality, easy on the wallet, get very favorable performance gains and that we can totally support.

The reason I am telling you guys this is to keep your from buying a bunch of performance parts from several places then not being able to use them. I have already seen this happening. There are places selling stuff telling you you don't need to do anything.

One guy on a forum said he installed a Raptor Stage III cam in his Rhino and did not get any kind of fuel controller to be able to add fuel that his new cam is wanting. After installing the stage I on my rhino and having to add as much as 48% more fuel in certain areas and seeing how lean it was running before I did add the fuel, his Rhino won't last long I assure you, his piston will melt probably.

So if you buy a performance part from anywhere that would change the fueling requirements ask them what you need to do for fuel changes and see if they have the next step in performance if you desire it and what to do for it.

If you buy it from us, it will have a MAP, the next step will have a MAP too and what we do will work, will really help on performance and not break your bank.

Guys I simply want your buying experience to be great. I know you work hard for your money and these parts are not cheap so you have to spend it wisely.

These are not carburetors, you have to take the time to learn to do it yourself, buy the tools needed to do it yourself or simply select products that do what you want and someone you can trust has done the work for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Good post Todd!! Fuel Injection is nice IF you dont plan to Mod it. Like you said a controller matched to a pipe is about it as far as mods go for now! Boy do i like my 08 Teryx with CARBS!!!

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Great post indeed Todd, I know people are really chomping at the bit to get a controller that can be used with some of the engine kits, etc.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Todd-

Thanks for the info!!!! I am excited for the new FI products!!!! All I want to do is be able to smoke the father in laws RZR.

We as FI owners are grateful for your honesty and yes, you have my business for the engine mods!!!!!!

2009 Monster Sport l

Seven Oaks Fine Jewelers
"It's okay to throw our ROCKS at Girls"!!!!

(435) 901-3307
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 PM

WOW What would we do if it were not for Hunterworks. Great job. I think anyone that buys there parts for any other place deserves to get a screw'n. It will really be nice when we can buy the aftermarket parts, ignition and fuel controller. I do think it is getting kind of old listening to the carb guys make there remarks, but hey it is all good. Once everything come out we can just plug and play while they have to take carbs off and rejet. Then check air fuel then take carbs off again to rejet, until they finally get it right.

2009 Teryx LE FI
REAL OFF ROAD RIDERS DON'T RIDE WITH FLEAS
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Guys I simply want your buying experience to be great. I know you work hard for your money and these parts are not cheap so you have to spend it wisely.
No extra Kudos for Todd, just kidding... Your information and help videos were the 1st reason I ever bought from you, plus the fact that you had the proof in the pudding to back up what you said...been great here so far...looking forward to my next purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4pac View Post
I do think it is getting kind of old listening to the carb guys make there remarks, but hey it is all good.
4pac, you're hilarious!!!...about 90% of your posts are you stating how much "better" EFI is than carbs.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 PM

Great Post Todd.. Thanks for taking the extra effort in the industry.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teee-rible View Post
No extra Kudos for Todd, just kidding... Your information and help videos were the 1st reason I ever bought from you, plus the fact that you had the proof in the pudding to back up what you said...been great here so far...looking forward to my next purchase!

4pac, you're hilarious!!!...about 90% of your posts are you stating how much "better" EFI is than carbs.
I dont know about 90% but I guess I am just wrong. Then again I guess all the auto makers are to since there is not a car or truck made today that is carbed!

2009 Teryx LE FI
REAL OFF ROAD RIDERS DON'T RIDE WITH FLEAS
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

There are times when each has its advantages. For someone like me that has the tools to change what I want, then EFI all the way!! The Carb version is more end user friendly.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 AM

Very interesting info Todd. Thank you very much.

Carbs are more user friendly for some people. I have friends that need FI cause they can't be bothered.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement