What is your Dalton Clutch setup and how do you ride? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What is your Dalton Clutch setup and how do you ride?

Please format it as how you ride, what you want to accomplish with your setup and your current mod level please, then your setup.

I ride mostly trails and do a lot of rough, slow and steep rock crawling. I also have fairly steep and wooded property that needs a lot of working. My wife rides with me a lot and drives the machine as well. We routinely have a good bit of weight in the bed to tote from one side of the property to the other.

Here is the short and also detailed description of what I want to accomplish.

1. Low RPM engagement
2. Smooth and soft as possible engagement
3. Fast to fully clutch out - I don't drag race anyone we ride rough areas

Ok now the long.

What I want to accomplish is as low an RPM I can have it engaged and stay engaged when I am crawling up and down very steep hills and rocks. Right now I can cruise down steep hills in 4x4 at 4 to 5 mph with the clutch staying fully engaged. I like it WAY better than KEBC. I also want the machine to be smooth engaging and as with any aftermarket clutch and even the stock, it takes some finesse to make it completely smooth. I do not like to jerk my wife around, she has MS and has a hard time holding on. With my setup I could make it completely smooth by holding down the brake, then putting it in L and slowly increase RPM slightly until the clutch engages then take my foot off the brake and move 100% smoothly. I never NEED to do this except for on the most steep places with my wife onboard. I want my clutch to be fully clutched in minimal time, where I ride there is not really any need to have the engine RPM way up there, I don't dragrace anyone, we race on the rough. I have tried to describe to the best I can.

My machine is an 08 with Muzzy's, HW Kit, Coils, FST STD Bore Kit stg 2 cams, UNI Filter on stock basket, Dynatek P CDI.

I am running Aluminum Rivets and all 3 grub screws. Silver secondary, Amber Primary.

I really love this setup, it does everything I need very well. I have the Dalton Clutch Cover as well and LOVE the performance increase in L range. I think a lot of guys go for to high RPM engagement and to slow shiftout and are missing a lot this package has to offer.

I would love to hear what all you guys running the Dalton Kit are thinking about it.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM

I have almost the same components as Megallan, just set up way different.
I use my 840 teryx for high speed trail riding and some GNCC racing later this year along with some 500' drags at our local club. I have a stock teryx for the wife and kids, so the 840 is for all out performance. My mods include:

FST 840, Stage III cams, Muzzys, VDI, Uni Filter, Dalton Clutch kit and overdrive plate.

I have NO rivets or set screws in the wieghts. Amber Primary and Silver Secondary. I found this set up to give me the most acceeration and top speed. Im getting 72 before the limter kicks in, but I have bounced the speedo to 75. Very happy with the dalton kit, it really put the finishing touch on the 840!!

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Magellan, I'm feelin ya on this one and would also like to know or understand what effects the engagement rpm and why it's higher with the kit?

xchamp, do you know what the intial engagement rpm is on yours without any weight?

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 PM

I am curious how much difference the orange blue spring makes in engagement? I have the same set up as magellan except the muzzy. I haven't put in my Dalton clutch kit but have everything except the secondary clutch tool from Hunterworks. I was planning on putting in the orange blue because I want to be strong out of the hole. I had a KFX 700 that I ran with the almond spring and I liked the way it engaged at low rpm, but from what I had read the orange blue is the fastest in a drag race? I go to the dunes and have some 26x12x12 9 paddle extremes ordered and I think the orange blue will be my best set up? Thoughts?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:05 PM

Ive been wanting to try the Orange Blue spring its just so much work if i dont like it and mine runs so good now i hate to mess with it. No screws or rivets for me they slowed mine down way too much in a straight line race.

08 Teryx, Black, FST std bore,Muzzy Exh, VDI, Dalton, VFJ clutch mod, 27" Bighorns on ITP SS212's. Lone Star +5 LT Elka shocks XMF Radius Cage
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM

orange blue spring

Is anyone running the orange blue spring with their Dalton Clutch Kit? How do you like it and how do you have it set up?

08 Teryx Fundy Std Bore Kit, HMF Slip on Duals, Hunterworks carb kit and filter, CDI, 14" Bighorns with ITP 212 wheels, Renegade seats, 26x12x12 9 paddle Extremes and Douglas 10" Wheels, AMS Blacktail on stk Wheels, Radio, Mirror, Custom front bumper and 4 seat cage being built.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 PM

We will find out soon enough on the OB spring, put it in mine tonight, havent had a chance to ride it yet but it does engage at a higher rpm. i will keep you posted.

08 Teryx, Black, FST std bore,Muzzy Exh, VDI, Dalton, VFJ clutch mod, 27" Bighorns on ITP SS212's. Lone Star +5 LT Elka shocks XMF Radius Cage
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRET901 View Post
We will find out soon enough on the OB spring, put it in mine tonight, havent had a chance to ride it yet but it does engage at a higher rpm. i will keep you posted.
Had a chance to try the orange and blue spring yet? Curious as I am about to finally install my Dalton clutch kit.

08 Teryx Fundy Std Bore Kit, HMF Slip on Duals, Hunterworks carb kit and filter, CDI, 14" Bighorns with ITP 212 wheels, Renegade seats, 26x12x12 9 paddle Extremes and Douglas 10" Wheels, AMS Blacktail on stk Wheels, Radio, Mirror, Custom front bumper and 4 seat cage being built.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Yup stall is higher but still engages smooth, it raised the shift rpms as well, i love it and i'm pretty sure its faster with the OB.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:17 PM

i run he orange/blue, no rivets and 6 set screws total. clutch engages at 2600rpm, starts to shift at 7200 and shifts out at 7500. i also have vforcejohns stageIII clutch mods so that changes things a bit.

xchamp, did you radar gun your speed or go off the speedo, and what rpm's were you at. i've radared mine at 72mph several times. it gets to 72 incredably fast but stops there. its like i hit the rev limiter. i've raised the limiter to 10k even though its not getting anywhere close to that, tryed many different timing curves of my own and of others but i can't break that speed. i think these 840's with stock heads just can't flow anymore. i've got my LM1 setup to record and log afr, rpm and tp sensor that i installed on my 39fcr's. at 8600rpm my af drops to about 11 and no matter what jetting on the main fuel or main air i can't get past about 8600rpm at 72mph. not that i need to go any faster or anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement