Fuel Controllers don't make power!!! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fuel Controllers don't make power!!!

I really like to have people totally understand what it is they want to buy and why they want it then know what to do with it when they get it.

When someone calls me and wants any kind of fuel controller for their EFI UTV I ask them why they want it. If their answer is because I want to add more power then I usually talk them out of buying it.

A fuel controller is to EFI what a jet kit is to a carb. A fuel controller is simply a tool to adjust fuel.

If you have a totally stock vehicle and you have not done any engine mods that would require fuel changes you would not rejet if it was a carb model and you would not on a EFI model.

Let's assume that the air/fuel ratio is correct from the factory and you didn't add a pipe, intake, cam etc. So you don't need to change anything and if you do you would be getting less performance.

With that being said most fuel controllers come to you zeroed out which means they add nothing so putting one on does nothing. Again it is a tool to use to add or take away fuel from the stock fuel map. With that being said all fuel controllers don't take away only add and sometimes you need to take it away.

Ok, say you did buy a exhaust or some other engine mod that would change your fueling requirements and you really do need a fuel controller. What do you set it to?? No one can tell you for sure, you will have to purchase a air/fuel gauge to read the air/fuel ratio and shoot for a ratio of 12.5 to 13 throughout the rpm range.

The only time you won't have to do this is when you buy a matching engine mod with a fuel controller that has been pre-programmed or pre-set for you otherwise you are on your own.

Also some think the EFI systems auto adjust like our cars do but they don't, they don't have a O2 sensor to read air/fuel ratio so they can adjust on the fly. This technology is coming though. Expensive but coming!! They do however adjust for elevation and temp.

Just simply think of a fuel controller as the jet kit for EFI.

Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Good info....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:31 PM

thats why ill stick with carbs!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 PM

I dont think you will be saying that for very long after hunter gets his dialed in. Just give it some time....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM

a jet is always going to be cheaper,and wont need a laptop to tune for different setups
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle jumper View Post
a jet is always going to be cheaper,and wont need a laptop to tune for different setups
But it is cool!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 AM

There are many theoretical advantages of FI, but they may or may not be implemented in a particular vehicle.

1. Modifications for the mechanically challenged will be easier as fuel changes will be part of a plug and play black box instead of having to be done separately to a carburetor.

2. Compared to a carburetor, FI allows use of a more radical camshaft to get higher HP without a rough idle, fouled plugs, and loss of torque at low to mid RPM. Of course, the manufacturer may or may not spec a different cam to take advantage of changing to FI.

3. I don't know squat about motorcycle carburetors, but most car carbs use a fuel bowl and a float actuated valve to control the fuel level, which influences how lean or rich the carb runs. Bouncing over rough terrain bounces the float and results in less control over fuel metering. Climbing or descending steep hills affects the fuel level and can result in the engine quitting.

4. Carburetors have evolved different ways of dealing with the problem of opening the throttle too fast, but nothing works as well as FI in eliminating bogging. It's nice to simply floor it and not worry.

5. All carburetors require some restriction of airflow in order to generate a vacuum signal to pull fuel from the bowl, thru the jets and into the venturi. Carburetor sizing is critical, thus a carb for racing is very poor for street use.

FI is much more flexible. You can have a 600 HP Viper engine that has a smooth idle, doesn't foul plugs and even gets some sort of mileage. This could never be done with high air flow carburetors and lumpy cams. So with FI you should be able to expect a much better compromise between power, mileage, and drivability. Not to mention automatically compensating for altitude and temperature.

Of course, the manufacturer can elect to use low compression, mild timing, and mild cams together with FI. Such a FI setup might have a relatively small throttle body, limiting the benefits that could be obtained from greater displacement or more radical cams. We won't really know what the potential of the '09 FI is until someone like Todd starts testing. It may or may not be equal to what a modified carbureted '08 can achieve.

Last edited by TCSF; 02-06-2009 at 01:30 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle jumper View Post
thats why ill stick with carbs!
That is what I said 10 years ago when all the manufactures started switching sport bikes over to Fuel injection! Back when I was computer illterate. Now I love it, hell I couldn't live without fuel injection. Its so much faster and easier to change the fuel curve and tune an engine. Just plug in the laptop and remap the ECM and your done in 60 seconds. No spilling fuel all over yourself removing gas tank and float bowls! Tearing half the [email protected]&King motorcycle apart just to get to a jet. Then having to do it all over because you never get jeting right the first time! Jesus I'm glad those days are over. Trust me once you have mastered F.I. you will never want to look at a carburator again!

Last edited by SRTOutlaw; 02-18-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement