Don't modify your EFI engine till you read this!! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Don't modify your EFI engine till you read this!!

I guess I will have to get on my soap box again but I am doing it to save you time and money.

I am starting to get a lot of calls about engine mods from exhaust to total overhauls for performance and they want to know what to do to the fuel.

Anyone who sells you some performance mod for your EFI vehicle SHOULD have a matching fuel map and ignition/fuel controller or fuel controller only that goes with the product. After all, how did they do it on their own kit? If they don't then don't buy it unless you have access to a shop with a load control dyno and people there who know how to make you a fuel map.

I can't imagine buying a couple thousand dollars worth of engine mods, installing them and then can't use the vehicle. Do your homework!!!

Nobody can give you a map for a mod that they have not done before. I don't even recommend using our Muzzy exhaust fuel map with any other exhaust, it might not be right and might harm your engine.

This is dangerous territory as far as engine reliability is concerned.

I can't stress enough matching mods with fuel maps!!!!

If you visit other forums or have friends please spread this around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I guess I will have to get on my soap box again but I am doing it to save you time and money.

I am starting to get a lot of calls about engine mods from exhaust to total overhauls for performance and they want to know what to do to the fuel.

Anyone who sells you some performance mod for your EFI vehicle SHOULD have a matching fuel map and ignition/fuel controller or fuel controller only that goes with the product. After all, how did they do it on their own kit? If they don't then don't buy it unless you have access to a shop with a load control dyno and people there who know how to make you a fuel map.

I can't imagine buying a couple thousand dollars worth of engine mods, installing them and then can't use the vehicle. Do your homework!!!

Nobody can give you a map for a mod that they have not done before. I don't even recommend using our Muzzy exhaust fuel map with any other exhaust, it might not be right and might harm your engine.

This is dangerous territory as far as engine reliability is concerned.

I can't stress enough matching mods with fuel maps!!!!

If you visit other forums or have friends please spread this around.

Who is selling motor stuff without the maps?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

I bet not you!!! LOL

This was post I put on several forums, it is rampant in the Rhino world. The EFI Teryx has not been out long enough for it to be a issue with it.

Mickey,

You need to get up with MSD so you can get a prototype box from them when they get it ready.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Dalton clutch OK?

Would not the Dalton clutch set up (no OD plate) for a stock Teryx be OK to use on a '09 without other changes since it doesn't change breathing?

While not strictly a HP adder, it does seem to improve acceleration out of the hole. The "Lackluster Performance" thread is an interesting case study of improving HP without improving the clutch.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Knock Sensor?

I can't find any mention of a knock sensor in the '08 service manual. If these engines don't have any, people should realize that there may be trade offs when using high performance timing curves.

The factory is worried about their warranty exposure. Put enough vehicles out there and sooner or later someone is going to load one up to the max, on a hot day, with a bad batch of gas and redline it for some length of time. The factory doesn't want detonation under any circumstances. Since the Teryx is, what, twice as heavy as a quad, timing can't be as aggressive as it can in the lighter, easier to accelerate vehicle.

And then there is NOX emissions, which are worsened by advanced timing, and there is no cat to clean them up.

All of which means there is a big margin of safety to exploit. The question is, how much of the margin of safety do you want to use up? Will you hear the engine knocking with that loud exhaust and all the noise going on at 65 MPH when all you're focused on is beating that other guy?

There's also a certain amount of useful work built into every engine before it wears out. How quickly do you want to use this up? There's reasons engines that generate racing levels of HP last only one race.

My stock FI starts easily, idles sweetly, doesn't foul plugs, gets good mileage, runs strong, all on crappy CA regular. More HP is great, but only if I get to keep all of the above. So I'm in no hurry to change things until the pros can give me guarantees.

My dream engine would be built like a Caddy or Lincoln engine from the sixties. Lots of displacement, moderately high compression, conservatively timed and cammed. I'm not interested in winning races, just having lots of easy starting, smooth running, easy to control, quiet, reliable, long lasting, load hauling power at all reasonable speeds over all kinds of terrain.

Kawasaki got it pretty close. The only shame is that they didn't give us a little more compression. Even in California we have 91 octane.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

TCFS,

The timing is not hurting the 08 model and we have no idea what the 09 curve is.

The clutch kit would be a good choice on the 09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement