Brute Force Throttle Bodies - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Brute Force Throttle Bodies

Anyone ever try putting 36mm Brute Force FI throttle bodies on thier 09 Teryx?
What would be involved?
Would mapping be the same? How about fittings and connections?
Is anybody boring out the factory 34mm throttle bodies?

Would it help performance if you went to an 840 kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dougs,

The reason the bodies are smaller is the need for higher velocity intake charge for such a heavy vehicle. There might be an advantage if you had a Big Bore kit and I say might.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

It would be for a Big Bore. Trying to find a way around getting enought fuel/air and keep FI. I'm starting to see more Brutes with FI being parted out. Both machines have the 32 bit processors but not sure if they are compatible or not. My local Kawi dealer isn't good at anything thats not 100% stock and bolt on.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Don't swap the Brute Force ECU into a Teryx. The calibrations are dramaticaaly different due to vehicle weight. Lighter vehicles run more timing advance, so you'll likely cause detonation and hurt the engine in the Teryx.

The throttle body swap should work, but you wouldn't see any real benefit without engine mods. With an 840, definately open up the throttle bodies.

Harry
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned

I think there are some new billet bodys being built all ready. Say that 5 times fast!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroke Tech View Post
I think there are some new billet bodys being built all ready. Say that 5 times fast!
Said it 5 times fast with no mistakes. Does this open the door to my questions below being answered?
Are you and/or Dragon Fire doing this Mikey? Or have access to it?
Will bigger injectors be available too?
Are you selling as part of a kit to go with your BBK, Muzzy Pro, new FI Maps, etc?
I thought you did an excellent job on the orange intakes you made for the V with after market carbs.

I always thought the 840cc+ kits do not see full potential without more fuel/air. If a 750 has 34mm throttle bodies. Everything being equal, an 840 would need 38mm throttle bodies. If its higher performance, the need for air and fuel would also increase. The 08s can go with bigger FCRs but not sure what you can do with FI.

Thunderhawk. I was trying to keep the 32 bit CPU from the Teryx as I thought it would have less issues. But wasn't sure about connections and if it could process the 36mm Throttle Bodies properly. Also, if the intakes would still work or would have to be custom made. Trying to figure out how much of a parted out Brute I'd need to buy or if it would even work.

The areas I ride on weekends see a lot of mud so I need water proof box for the air filter too. I like the FI idea as my altitude and temperature range change significantly during a day of riding. (8,000 to 9,000 ft altitude change and 10-20 degrees in temperature). Hunterworks TPI valves would solve a lot of the issues, but the idea that the CPU is adjusting itself is very appealing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Said it 5 times fast with no mistakes. Does this open the door to my questions below being answered?
Are you and/or Dragon Fire doing this Mikey? Or have access to it?
Will bigger injectors be available too?
Are you selling as part of a kit to go with your BBK, Muzzy Pro, new FI Maps, etc?
I thought you did an excellent job on the orange intakes you made for the V with after market carbs.

I always thought the 840cc+ kits do not see full potential without more fuel/air. If a 750 has 34mm throttle bodies. Everything being equal, an 840 would need 38mm throttle bodies. If its higher performance, the need for air and fuel would also increase. The 08s can go with bigger FCRs but not sure what you can do with FI.

Thunderhawk. I was trying to keep the 32 bit CPU from the Teryx as I thought it would have less issues. But wasn't sure about connections and if it could process the 36mm Throttle Bodies properly. Also, if the intakes would still work or would have to be custom made. Trying to figure out how much of a parted out Brute I'd need to buy or if it would even work.

The areas I ride on weekends see a lot of mud so I need water proof box for the air filter too. I like the FI idea as my altitude and temperature range change significantly during a day of riding. (8,000 to 9,000 ft altitude change and 10-20 degrees in temperature). Hunterworks TPI valves would solve a lot of the issues, but the idea that the CPU is adjusting itself is very appealing.

I'm on hold until we have ECU's because it cost too much to build a stand alone.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroke Tech View Post
I'm on hold until we have ECU's because it cost too much to build a stand alone.
I understand that. Its a small market compared to vehicles.

Any heard how close is Lyle at VDI, Dyna, and MSD are to releasing one?
I heard VDI is getting something this spring for the Brute and the Teryx would follow.

Edit Spelling

Last edited by DougS; 02-16-2009 at 05:04 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM

DougS,

The only reason to us a TPI valve in a 09 model would be more air, I would just cut hole if I needed it and no TPI. The stock ECU compensates for altitude.

I'm not saying to cut a hole though, just saying.

MSD will be out in Sept.

Dynatek maybe sooner maybe not.

Don't know about VDI.

Last edited by Hunterworks; 02-16-2009 at 07:12 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I'm almost 100% certain that the TPS sensor on the throttle bodies will have the same output signal regardless of the throttle body size or application (Brute force vs. Teryx), as this is standard in the industry. It's common in many cases for the factories to change the wiring plugs to assure that the throttle body units do not get switched on the assembly line. This can be easily modified to fit. The larger throttle bodies will obviously flow more air (12% increase, estimated).

The calibrations in the ECU will need to be programmed to deliver the proper fuel to match the increased airflow, even on a stock engine. With mods, the need for accurate calibrations is critical. This is where we'll need to wait for EFI tuners to be released. I'd look for parts that are packaged with a tuner, that has been properly calibrated on an engine dyno. You can then use a chassis dyno or butt-dyno to make minor tweaks.

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement