Aftermarket radiator fans - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Aftermarket radiator fans

Anyone out there running the six blade aluminum fan that Muzzy sends out with the kit. I have it, And looking at and the stock fan which appears to have about ten blades (just a guess after looking at it on the rig) Does this six blade really flow more air ? Cause it does'nt appear that the stock fan is poorly made, it seems to run pretty true and I was wondering if it was worth putting on or did Muzzy's just get another 40 bucks out of me by tossing it in the kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey goose View Post
Anyone out there running the six blade aluminum fan that Muzzy sends out with the kit. I have it, And looking at and the stock fan which appears to have about ten blades (just a guess after looking at it on the rig) Does this six blade really flow more air ? Cause it does'nt appear that the stock fan is poorly made, it seems to run pretty true and I was wondering if it was worth putting on or did Muzzy's just get another 40 bucks out of me by tossing it in the kit?
grey goose,

The Muzzy aluminum fan blades are pitch optimized to increase overall airflow. This typically results in a marked improvement over stock fans, even those with more blades. Secondarily, the aluminum fan is not subject to distortion and melting like the stock plastic fan is. This offers great "piece of mind" for a critical component that's not readily visible.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 AM

i just put mine own a few days ago. In about 6 weeks when i finish my appearance modifications, i will take it out for a drive and let you know what I see

2008 Teryx

Something to Tinker with

PM me if you are looking for a Service Manual.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray MacNeill View Post
grey goose,

The Muzzy aluminum fan blades are pitch optimized to increase overall airflow. This typically results in a marked improvement over stock fans, even those with more blades. Secondarily, the aluminum fan is not subject to distortion and melting like the stock plastic fan is. This offers great "piece of mind" for a critical component that's not readily visible.
Since I had it opened up still I went on Murray MacNeill's input and installed the aluminum fan, The instructions call it a 5 blade, Typo? mabey, the instructions also call for the "SPACER" washer to be placed between the motor and the fan, This is specific to the Teryx,Brute Force, and KFX 700. The "SPACER" washer was not in the supplied parts as called for in the instructions. And one cannot be placed between the fan and motor as it needs a shoulder on the shaft to sit on, The flats on the motor shaft are machined in therefore any washer that will slide over the shaft will just keep going down the shaft to the motor and accomplish nothing. So I am betting that the "SPACER" washer that MUZZY neglected to supply has the same profile as the shaft and the center of the fan, so as to sit where the machined flats begin and would then space the fan up so the factory nut will tighten down on the fan properly, I had to install my own washer under the nut on the opposite side from what the instructions call for. Is this a problem? since the instructions say to do it the opposite way, Why not have just Made the riveted doubler plate a bit thicker to aviod the whole issue? By the way this is the second part from MUZZY that did not come complete, I had to source my own bolts to install the metal motor cover cause the stock shouldered bolts did not work properly with the new cover.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Since I had it opened up still I went on Murray MacNeill's input and installed the aluminum fan, The instructions call it a 5 blade, Typo? mabey, the instructions also call for the "SPACER" washer to be placed between the motor and the fan, This is specific to the Teryx,Brute Force, and KFX 700. The "SPACER" washer was not in the supplied parts as called for in the instructions. And one cannot be placed between the fan and motor as it needs a shoulder on the shaft to sit on, The flats on the motor shaft are machined in therefore any washer that will slide over the shaft will just keep going down the shaft to the motor and accomplish nothing. So I am betting that the "SPACER" washer that MUZZY neglected to supply has the same profile as the shaft and the center of the fan, so as to sit where the machined flats begin and would then space the fan up so the factory nut will tighten down on the fan properly, I had to install my own washer under the nut on the opposite side from what the instructions call for. Is this a problem? since the instructions say to do it the opposite way, Why not have just Made the riveted doubler plate a bit thicker to aviod the whole issue? By the way this is the second part from MUZZY that did not come complete, I had to source my own bolts to install the metal motor cover cause the stock shouldered bolts did not work properly with the new cover.

I have both the Muzzy fan and the metal cover plate. I have not had any problems with either piece since they were installed in Sept 08. I think the fan blade pull's more air so the fan doesn't have to run as long.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Desertdog, I think the additiion of the metal motor cover is a no brainer in light of its proximity to the hot header pipe, I was displeased that mine did not come complete with all the necessary hardware as I am told others showed up intact with all hardware included. An oversite I am sure. Now I get another part from the same company with issues I have allready explained, Did you do your own install of the fan and if so what did you find to be the case with the spacer washer? What did it look like? I guess the fan will move plenty of air but it still needs to be installed correctly, If someone jury rigs it on there and it fails and then Takes it to Muzzy stateing "your go fast fan ate my radiator" what do you think Muzzy's reply will be? Regards..GREY Goose.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Desertdog, I think the additiion of the metal motor cover is a no brainer in light of its proximity to the hot header pipe, I was displeased that mine did not come complete with all the necessary hardware as I am told others showed up intact with all hardware included. An oversite I am sure. Now I get another part from the same company with issues I have allready explained, Did you do your own install of the fan and if so what did you find to be the case with the spacer washer? What did it look like? I guess the fan will move plenty of air but it still needs to be installed correctly, If someone jury rigs it on there and it fails and then Takes it to Muzzy stateing "your go fast fan ate my radiator" what do you think Muzzy's reply will be? Regards..GREY Goose.
I completely sympathize with your situation. I have been thru similar trials but not with Muzzy. I remember having a spacer/washer that had to go in a certain way but I don't think I had any issues with it because it was super easy to install, maybe 10 minutes at the most. I just followed the instruction sheet that was supplied. I don't remember exactly, it was awhile ago. I just removed the stock fan support bracket bolts, unhooked the wiring and pulled the whole fan assembly out. Then replaced stock fan with the new one and reinstalled. Have not had one problem. hope this helps.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 PM

didnt have bolts for the cover, did have the spacer.

i set the fan down on the shaft and the spacer on top, then the nut. works fine.

2008 Teryx

Something to Tinker with

PM me if you are looking for a Service Manual.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks sleepy, thats just what I had to do, I did'nt see any problem with it this way but wanted to inquire just the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement