EPI Clutch kit & HW Jet Kit - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
SRX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

EPI Clutch kit & HW Jet Kit

Just got out for a test run(36 degrees outside w/TPI Valves wide open) and not Happy at all!! Installed epi clutch kit for jetted,cdi and Exhaust set up. Have all but the exh. it's on B/O.Also UNI Air Filter, This thing shifts out fast right out of the hole then seems to go into high gear very quickly. RPM's don't seem to scream like when stock untill about 48 MPH.Just seems like a Dog! Anyone experience this? I will be calling epi Monday. Have the utv cap on also and got it up to 62 mph on speedo and cant hit the rev. limiter....just won't spin up any further. In Low I had it up to 43 mph and still no rev limiter?

Having poping issue also...happens at low speeds a few times and also around 43 mph? When I installed Todd's jet kit there were no plugs for the pilot screws? In his instructions it never said to adj these but in the video said to turn out 2 turns?? I left them alone, maybe thats the sputtering problem?
Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:36 AM

are you saying that the mixture screws already had the caps removed from them under the carbs? Also what is your elevation. In the carb kit instructions it says to turn the screws out 2 turns from seated asnd if you have the hmf or muzzy exhaust you have to turn them out 3 turns. The popping is most likely from the screws not being adjusted..

what epi kit did you go with?

lastly before you ever installed the hunterworks carb kit did you have this popping noise at low speeds before and after you installed the dynatek cdi?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 AM

No need for plugs on the screws.

DB is right, I think the instructions say 2 turns out.

62 is very fast for a stock machine, I would be very happy.

I have no experience with EPI clutch kits, they are just Brute Force kits that weight different. Dalton is a whole different weight and less belt heat.

The overdrive plate?? It is a good idea and I have not seen one of UTV craps plates but from Rhino experience if it is machined too much then it goes into overdrive to quick causing a lag.

The pop maybe the CDI, try your stock one and see if it goes away.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
SRX

The clutch kit is for your ride that has cdi,jet kit and different exh. elevation is 1200 ft. and the plugs were not there and I bought it with .6 of a mile on it off the show room floor. Forgot to mention I adj belt defl. to 1 in. of deflection, now it squeals a little, that shouldn't affect the quick shift up should it?

I will try the stock cdi and see....I have the Dyna box...I'm going to vary the opening of the tpi valves today and see if that helps. I'm happy with 62 but from 15-48 mph it seems to be in the same high gear? This quick shift into high is my Biggest concern. Again it's like its not in the right gear for all situations as a snowmobile clutch should be. Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 10:07 PM

It's not the carb kit if it was installed correctly, it is something you did to the clutch, either the kit you have or the overdrive plate.

Todd

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
SRX

I left the pilot jets alone as it idles great and has good low end. What I did do is close off the tpi's about 1/2 in and it was about 20 degrees warmer today than yesterday. Ran awesome and clutching was way better for some reason. Check out the vid of today on the lake....snow was heavy and tacky 50 degrees today! and yes I had it in 4 wheel..

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 AM

By closing them off you richened it up, I would open valves and put next size leaner jets in.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
SRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
By closing them off you richened it up, I would open valves and put next size leaner jets in.
Don't you mean the opposite....Remember, I was poping with the tpi's un-restricted. Closed off a 1/2 in and problem solved,Shouldn't I leave it alone....I can open the tpi for a leaner set up for the summer months. I know on 2-strokes you need to lean them out as temps outside go up. Not a big 4-stroke guy so is it the same jetting procedures or opposite?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Sorry, I did mean open them up and put next bigger jets in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement