Clutch kits for the '08 Teryx - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Clutch kits for the '08 Teryx

Are the EPI and the Dalton clutches the only ones available for the 08 Teryx? What's everyone's thoughts on the EPI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 03:24 PM

I have the complete dalton and love it with my 840 bbk!! Really was the finishing touch to my build. I tried the EPI 60 wieghts in it with the dalton springs it was a pig!! Not sure if the EPI springs wouldve made a difference or not or if they work better on a stock motor but with my 840 it killed it!!

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveFlat View Post
Are the EPI and the Dalton clutches the only ones available for the 08 Teryx? What's everyone's thoughts on the EPI?
fiver all I have done so far is have the stock clutch cap machined for higher top end and changed the secondary spring....really cheap..helped butt not lighting quick.....I say dalton full kit if you want the full kit...

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waytay View Post
fiver all I have done so far is have the stock clutch cap machined for higher top end and changed the secondary spring....really cheap..helped butt not lighting quick.....I say dalton full kit if you want the full kit...
You want to your clutch up to match your peak HP;make the engine rpm hold this position till shift out;then only a small amount of over-reve will continue till it approaches rev limit;you want gearing and rpm capability to be totally in before you hit rev limit;allow at least 200rpm;hitting rev limiters are hard on motors
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered the CDI. My buddy has been trying to get me the FMF for like 4 or 5 weeks now. They're always on backorder (but not taking back orders).
I figure the clutch would finish it all off, but you think I should try just going with the machined cap? What secondary spring did you go with?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Build Sponsor

Unleashed UTV

Quote:
We sell a clutch kit that includes a machined cap and a secondary spring for $118.00. It will help low end and top end.

Unleashed UTV
5838 N. 19th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85015
www.unleashedutv.com
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 06:19 AM

I would go for the full Dalton kit too. The EPI is a Brute Force kit with different weighted fly weights while the Dalton is a whole new design for the Teryx and the big difference is less belt heat with Dalton over EPI.

The other thing about the fly weights is the curvature, it really engages quickly and really puts the power to the ground plus less belt slippage thus less belt wear.

Getting only the stiffer secondary spring will aid in hill climbing and dune climbing though.

Todd

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks unleashed, thanks Todd.
Now if I decided to try the machined cap and secondary, am I going to end up spending the $300+ later just to go with the Dalton because I want more? How much more will I get from the Dalton over the machined cap?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Build Sponsor

Differences

Quote:
Thanks unleashed, thanks Todd.
Now if I decided to try the machined cap and secondary, am I going to end up spending the $300+ later just to go with the Dalton because I want more? How much more will I get from the Dalton over the machined cap?
Top speed wise you will not gain anything. The difference in the Dalton is the weights and the primary spring which changes stall speed and enguagment curve and the cap is a nice billet piece. There is a total of over $400.00 difference in price for wieghts primary spring and billet cap. We dont sell weights because we haven't found what we feel is a performance gain over stock and we don't change the primary spring because we don't want a higher stall speed. Dalton is a quality product that works great. Our kit has been tested on stock and slightly modified The Unleashed UTV kit is simpler and less exspensive with similar benifits. I am in the process of building a standard bore motor kit and with that we may make some changes to our clutch kit for the additional hp but we must test first.

Unleashed UTV
5838 N. 19th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85015
www.unleashedutv.com
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 AM

I have been running the Dalton Clutch Kit and OD cap in my 08 and I mentioned that after installing it I would never run without a Dalton Clutch Kit and OD cover again. My latest belt has over 100 hours of HARD CORE riding on the factory Kawasaki Belt and we just checked deflectiona bout a month ago and it was 7/8 which is a great tension for me. Thin secondary shim out from day one.

I will receive the Dalton Clutch Kit and OD Cover for my wife's 09 TODAY! The Dalton setup is the only way I can make belts last with her driving the machine. Also looking forward to disabling the KEBC on the 09 when I do the install. After running the 08 for about 6 months without the KEBC, it is really annoying on the 09 and makes it clunky as hell when crawling around with all the gear lash, can't wait to disable it.

For me, the Dalton kit/cover lets me allow other people to drive my machine without them toasting my belt which is priceless. It IS that good of a setup, the whole package. It also very important to KNOW that the key to making belts last on the Teryx is how you drive it, especially with the stock clutch.

Also in real world driving, the OD cover may not beat a speed limiter in H on an 09, but it sure does add at least 5+ MPH top end in L which is a lot more important to me than going 70 in H.

**EDIT - FedEx just got here, looking forward to the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DaltonKit.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1228  

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 04-24-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement