Losing oil?? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Losing oil??

OK, i decided to start a new thread on this, as the other one had a non specific heading.

Here is what is going on. I'm losing oil out of the engine. We took it to the dunes this last weekend and ran it a total of about 8 hours. Before I left I changed the oil, and cleaned the air filter, as last time I ran it too long between oil changes and it was down almost a quart.

I thought I may have burned the engine up at that point, but it ran great this weekend, and the compression test we did before we left came back on the lower side, but in spec.

Here is a list of what has been done, and re-checked!

1. Oil was changed and filled about 8 riding hours ago.
2. Air filter was cleaned and changed same

*3 We did a compression check and it came back on the mid-lower side of the spec, but it was cold that day and i know did not warm the engine up, just cranked it over and took the reading.

4. We saw little to no smoke at the dunes in those two days.
5. There is no visible oil leak to the ground.
6. Air filter is a little dirty as to be expected after a weekend at the dunes, but dry and in the air box is dry
7. Power seemed to be very good the whole weekend
*8, there was one time that it seemed like it was running out of fuel (coughing and sputtering at full throttle) Checked and blew out the fuel filter and it ran good again.
9. Spark plugs looked to be the right color
10. I am running amsoil 4 stroke oil

Questions:
a. It only has like 2.2 quarts in it, would a slow ring blow by cause that much smoke?
b. Could the oil be going into the something else, trans, etc?

I just do not want to burn up the crank, or get stranded with my family in the mountains. But i don;t want to throw money for new rings, pistons and a rebuild if I don't know the cause of the oil loss.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated!

PowerTrip
Utah

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Faster and faster till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death !

2008 TERYX
FST Standard Bore kit w/ Stage III cams
Vent Racing Clutch kit w/ Billet Hat
Hunterworks Carb kit
DWT Doonz Paddles on Quatro's
Element Cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Do you have a CDI? Pull your air plenum, is there an oil film inside? I suspect your blowing oil up from your crankcase vent line into the air plenum and burning it out of the exhaust...at least that's my $.02
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 AM

I would check that first too.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:35 AM

I agree w/ amsoil... I know you said on your other thread that your dad didn't see any smoke while riding behind you, but if it is indeed burning oil I doubt that your burning enough oil fast enough to see smoke while traveling at speed - it's only got a little over 2 qts in it. Also, you said on your other thread that your air filter was really dirty. Was it really that dirty, or was it engine oil mixed with the dust/dirt that the filter normally catches?

There is a homebrew fix for blow-by on these forums somewhere (or you can buy one from a UTV shop) that may be a good place to start. It's inexpensive, and if it fixes it, great. If it doesn't, nothing lost because you would've ended up doing it sooner or later anyway.

- On the upside, if you do end up needing to rebuild your motor - what a perfect opportunity to add an 840 kit!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 AM

Here is a good thread & video on how to identify and resolve the oil/airbox issue...

http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasa...ur-airbox.html

And here is the DIY fix posted by Amsoil. I would recommend this over the one sold by UTV Crap, especially since w/ the CRAP one you'll have to go to the parts store anyway.

http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasa...hon-break.html

Last edited by Mikeomo; 04-24-2009 at 11:24 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I just went out and took the filter out.

There is no oil in the bottom of the airbox, it is dry.
Reached my hand inside the plenum and it is dry as well, no oily residue at all.

I have a CDI, 4 seat cage, paddles, and the baffle is taken out. Before this weekend the filter was VERY DIRTY....but there was no oil in the plenum then either.

i am stumped.

PowerTrip
Utah

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

2008 TERYX
Hunterworks Carb kit
Element Cage
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:45 AM

Perplexed still, maybe a different dipstick!!!...

I say if you are burning up just one quart in 8 hours, you ARE going to see it smoking, IMO.
Wish I could help. What exhaust are you running? Is there any Black film build up around the exhaust port of the tail pipe (or pipes)?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Stock Exhaust

There is a little "soot" around the exhaust outlet.

Any ideas....from anyone?

PowerTrip
Utah

2008 TERYX
Hunterworks Carb kit
Element Cage
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 AM

try switching to a non synthetic oil.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 AM

Was your oil filter oiled properly, it should get a light film of oil on your hand when you touch it. I have read recently here where some dealers have missed the part about oiling the filter and it did not stop dirt well.

If you checked in the plenum, you would have noticed dust in there most likely if your filter was not oiled properly.

There should be a little soot there, that is normal IMHO, both mine have it. The richer you run, the more soot, also if you get some crappy gas, you can get some soot like that. Since I started running super unleaded it seems to minimize the soot but there is a little still at the exhaust outlets.

Not sure if you stated how many total hours on your machine, only 8 since oil change. How many hours total? How aggressively did you break it in? Do you let it warm up well before you hammer on it and have you all along? Did you break it in with non-synthetic oil?

Neither of my machines use oil at all, so you definitely have something going on. I have a buddy who had a 2x4 sport quad and used a lot of oil, but did not smoke, he bored it, and put in webcam and no more oil use or not nearly as much, so it had to be burning it I would think... we never did figure it out, and I saw a guy riding it last time I went to Buffalo Mountain so the original owner obviously sold the machine.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement